Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spyderco Hungarian

Spyderco Forum Registered User dgebler's Avatar
    Anyone have one of these in hand yet? Please post photo's!!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User dgebler's Avatar
    Another bump...are we there yet???
    Anyone have this in hand, I am dying to see pictures. I never was that interested in the shaped, bolstered handles and style, but I after picking up a Vallotton I am really digging this smooth G-10, polished bolster look.
    I have seen plenty of stock photo's, but am very interested in in-hand pictures.

Spyderco Forum Registered User MCM's Avatar
    Back in stock at KW.

More S90v & CF please.......

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I handled one today, and WHOA perfect F&F and a beautiful knife. I really want one but question when I would carry it. Absolutely a custom quality show stopper.

I probably did not do this thing justice, The blade is like a smaller Millie in shape and initial impression, the linerlock is perfectly centered and nice and stiff but probably a bit GBish in the ease of disengagement, the bolsters are mirrored in polish...like check your teeth for spinach shiny, and the standoffs are gorgeous and honestly the "behind" shot of the knife might be the most handsome. The clip is just ok, sort of Southard-esque but this type of knife is rarely a clipped knife. I think a much more beadblasted would be better but might detract from the shiny bolsters. Again, custom quality and unreal panache. Sort of a merger between Ethnic and Gent's if you will

Spyderco Forum Registered User RadioactiveSpyder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twinboysdad View Post
    I probably did not do this thing justice, The blade is like a smaller Millie in shape and initial impression, the linerlock is perfectly centered and nice and stiff but probably a bit GBish in the ease of disengagement, the bolsters are mirrored in polish...like check your teeth for spinach shiny, and the standoffs are gorgeous and honestly the "behind" shot of the knife might be the most handsome. The clip is just ok, sort of Southard-esque but this type of knife is rarely a clipped knife. I think a much more beadblasted would be better but might detract from the shiny bolsters. Again, custom quality and unreal panache. Sort of a merger between Ethnic and Gent's if you will
    And you didn't get one? Loved the "unreal panache" comment! Hopefully someone with one will post pics soon, and it would be especially nice if we could see both a spine shot and a comparison shot with a Millie, Vallotton, etc.
    It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. Stephen King

Can you tell I have not stopped thinking about it?

Very quick first impressions

I picked up my Hungarian from the post office this morning. A few very quick first impressions and a few quick and dirty cell phone photos.

On the comparison side vs a BM Torrent that I saw similarities to before I bought the Hungarian (blade shape, polished G10, liner lock and then it stops), CRKT Summa that I really wanted to like but the steel and flipper put me off, Caly 3.5 that recently really impressed me and, because it is so well known and widely owned, a Para2

IMG_0262_resize.JPG

In hand shots, lock up and spine shot as requested :

IMG_0263_resize.JPGIMG_0265_resize.JPGIMG_0267_resize.JPGIMG_0268_resize.JPG

My first impressions then : I like the fit and finish but I still need to sharpen it. I have had issues with weird bevels on my some of my Taiwan knives but once they have spent some time with the Edge Pro it is all sorted.

I really like the polished G10 and think there should be more Spydercos offering this. I'm neutral on the polished bolsters. I've already dropped the knife so there is already a scratch on the bolster so we are good to go and use this thing rather than baby it.

Blade shape works for me, tip isn't too delicate and I like the belly. I really like the sharpening ricasso (I think that is the term). Steel is fine for my uses. My experience with XHP is limited to my Techno and it performs fine for my purposes. I cannot see this being any different and look forward to using it and touching up occasionally.

Handle is nice and narrow (as apposed to thin from scale to scale). I like this. I have small hands and this feels really comfortable in my hands in a variety of grips that I would use for slicing, food prep, light work, etc.

I like liner locks but this guy is a bit inconvenient to close as the scales are the same size and there isn't a cut away in the opposite scale to make closing easier. I'm not asking for something the size of the Chinese's cut out but just a little something so I can use the side of my thumb rather than the friction of sliding the pad of my thumb across the jimping on the lockbar - from what I have seen, this is my only complaint about the knife. I'm sure there is a very good design reason for not having a slight cut out but I would have preferred one and cutting / grinding one in is going to look really bad.

So far so good. Definitely a keeper and something that will get used fairly frequently. I can recommend this, even from the very little time that I have had with it.
    Last edited by PSquared; 12-03-2013 at 07:08 AM. Reason: tried to get images rather than links to show but gave up :(

Spine shots missed in previous post

IMG_0270_resize.JPGIMG_0271_resize.JPG

Spyderco Forum Registered User Cheddarnut's Avatar
    Thanks for the pics, its a lot smaller than it seemed without the context of other knives, my interest level +2
    I collect knives, my knives collect dust.

Spyderco Forum Registered User demoncase's Avatar
    As soon as one of these arrives at Heinnie Hayes in the UK I'm snapping it up....It's the first 'Ethnic' Spydie in a good while that's grabbed my attention, plus as a Valloton owner I know I like that contoured G10 'feel' in the hand.

Can't wait
    Nothing in his pockets except knives and lint....

Quote Originally Posted by PSquared View Post
    I like liner locks but this guy is a bit inconvenient to close as the scales are the same size and there isn't a cut away in the opposite scale to make closing easier. I'm not asking for something the size of the Chinese's cut out but just a little something so I can use the side of my thumb rather than the friction of sliding the pad of my thumb across the jimping on the lockbar - from what I have seen, this is my only complaint about the knife. I'm sure there is a very good design reason for not having a slight cut out but I would have preferred one and cutting / grinding one in is going to look really bad.
    Hi PSquared,
    thanks for this review. I'm the designer of this folder. Yes you're right it's a bit hard to release the lock. I have a Gay Bradley (I love it), so I knew very well how the lock would work on the Hungarian. There are two reasons of this solution. First I didn't want to modify the authentic handle shape. This shape is the main characteristic of the "header-curved" folder. I had to modify the blade to create a Spydie so I wanted to keep the handle original. And the handle is very narrow at the point of a cutout. It would look very strange there. By the way this folder type is still alive and very popular in Hungary. Some custom knife maker handicraft really beautiful pieces.
    Finally I suggest everyone to use both hands to close the blade, if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by hun View Post
    Hi PSquared,
    thanks for this review...
    I'm very sorry. Gayle Bradley, of course.

Hun, it's always great to be able to hear directly from the designers, thanks for contributing!
    Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E)

Spyderco Forum Registered User Greg Walker's Avatar
    I saw / handled one of these in Golden at Spyderco a few weeks ago. Very nice grip / "feel" to it in one's hand. Blade design is straightforward utility. I had no problem with the lock on the display knife. IMHO just a nice working knife with an interesting twist to it design wise.
    Greg Walker (Retired)
    United States Army Special Forces

"No Fallen Comrade Left Behind"

Quote Originally Posted by hun View Post
    Hi PSquared,
    thanks for this review. I'm the designer of this folder. Yes you're right it's a bit hard to release the lock. I have a Gay Bradley (I love it), so I knew very well how the lock would work on the Hungarian. There are two reasons of this solution. First I didn't want to modify the authentic handle shape. This shape is the main characteristic of the "header-curved" folder. I had to modify the blade to create a Spydie so I wanted to keep the handle original. And the handle is very narrow at the point of a cutout. It would look very strange there. By the way this folder type is still alive and very popular in Hungary. Some custom knife maker handicraft really beautiful pieces.
    Finally I suggest everyone to use both hands to close the blade, if possible.
    Hi hun,

Thanks to you for the design of the knife! I suspected that this was the reason for the lack of cut out and you are right, it would spoil the clean lines and shape - which is what I have been looking for since that Summo didn't work for me and my Laguioles are too small and non locking.

I would like to say that Hun worked very hard on this design refining many times. He's a perfectionist and he was great to work with.

I also spent some time with a group from the Hungarian knife forums. Also great knife afi's. I got to play with some custom pieces made by a very skilled maker in Hungary. It's a beautiful ethinic design and we're pleased to be able to make it.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    I finally received my Hungarian a few days ago. Ethnic series knives are often my most anticipated due to the variety they bring. They also often offer interesting and tangible insight into cultures with which we may not be familiar. I knew next to nothing about the Hungarian knives that inspired this Spyderco model, but I've been enjoying learning more about them.

The Spyderco Hungarian Folder is beautiful and elegant in hand. Its slender handle profile is quite a change from the wider handles on many models. It handles and carries smaller than I was expecting. Fit and finish is amazing, as has become expected from Taichung. I also like the pocket clip very much. It has a graceful shape, custom formed to the handle, with a nicely rounded end.

A very classy and refined knife. Great work to all involved.

My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

I just love the lines of this knife. I am soooo getting one.

JD