Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Superhawk / Spyderhawk

Spyderco Forum Registered User Noble's Avatar

Superhawk / Spyderhawk

Hello Everyone,

Could you enlighten me to the differences between the superhawk, and the spyderhawk? Im in the market for a hawkbill and have only recently (read: today) been turned on to the notion of these two. Believe it or not, I somehow managed to not even have heard of these models I do in fact live under a rock
    I love how my fellow knife afi and good friends recurved (kershaw Tyrade D2) blade works (hes a kershaw guy who just bought his first real spydie today, a ladybug salt! WOOOOOO!!), and now i have to have one in the arsenal too. But it has to be a spyderco, so....Anyway, I know a tasman salt would fit nice in my quiver, but I already know how awesome that puppy is, just wanna compare it with the other curvies.

Thanks!
    The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of meeting deadlines is forgotten.

My Dream Knife: Paramilitary with FFG H1. GITD G10.

Spyderco Forum Registered User catamount's Avatar
    Superhawk:

Spyderhawk:

Tom

http://spydercovt.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sequimite View Post
    I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
    Junior avatar courtesy of dialex

Spyderco Forum Registered User yablanowitz's Avatar
    Those pix say it pretty nicely. The Tasman is Delica-sized, the Spyderhawk is Endura-sized. The Superhawk has less curve to the blade, a compression lock and carbon fiber scales. It also costs as much as two Spyderhawks and a Tasman put together.
    I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Noble's Avatar
    Those pictures are just what i needed. Thank you both for chiming in. Are superhawks still available? (I know i could google it but ive been getting really bad results for disco'ed items as of late and you guys and gals here always know best).

Cheers
    The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of meeting deadlines is forgotten.

My Dream Knife: Paramilitary with FFG H1. GITD G10.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Peter1960's Avatar
    Yes, the Superhawk is still available and for the moment it hasn't status "discontinued" ... look
    Peter - member of Spydiewiki.com group

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
    Spyderco's company motto

Spyderco Forum Registered User Billy's Avatar
    If you like recurves, you should also look into the Adventura, designed by forumite Dialex. They have been disco'd for a few years, but can still be found at very reasonable prices. I carried one for two years and enjoyed every minute of it. Read more about it here... http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=200
    I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
    I LOVE MY MILLIES
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    Are superhawks still available

Cheers
    If you are looking for Superhawk, I saw one on BF at absolutely bargain price, about a half of what they went for when they came out.
    Lately I am thinking about hawk more and more myself
    Good luck.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

Spyderco Forum Registered User hickster's Avatar
    I'd bet the Superhawk is one of the most under-appreciated knives in the line up right now. It is an incredible knife. Carbon Fiber, VG-10, FFG, Compression Lock, nobody makes a knife like this... nobody. Fantastic build quality, buttery smooth. This is one that will be highly sought after down the road.
    hickster

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar

re superhawk

I keep going back and forth on this one. It looks so sweet! I like a lot of what it brings but it's kinda big and kinda heavy.

Generally, I prefer smaller and lighter knives - 90% of the time now it's a DPUKPK, out in the yard it's some flavor of hooked H1 and when I want something classier it's a Phoenix. That's about it for EDC stuff.

CF is fine but I'm really more of a G10 kinda guy.

Looks like I'd like the grip and the choil.

VG10 is good steel. It's no S90V, but it's certainly good enough.

Love the compression lock.

FFG is SWEET! My favorite part of this knife.

Thing is, I already have more hawks than I use. PE & SE Spyderhawks, PE & SE Tasmans, CF Harpy and couple of P'Kals. I really think it's big enough I wouldn't wind up carrying it much. I know I should just get one but I just can't seem to pull the trigger on this.

Thoughts?? Anyone?

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User 805surf's Avatar
    Does the Spyderhawk have nested steel liners?

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 805surf View Post
    Does the Spyderhawk have nested steel liners?
    No, it uses the same monocoque FRN "3rd Generation Endura" handle as the Pacific Salt. FWIW, to the besst of my knowledge, there are no FRN handles with nested liners which use the barrel bolt style clip.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Thumbs up H-1 Spyderhawk: On top at this time

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    If you like recurves, you should also look into the Adventura, designed by forumite Dialex. They have been disco'd for a few years, but can still be found at very reasonable prices. I carried one for two years and enjoyed every minute of it. Read more about it here... http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=200
    I love the Dialex designed Adventura myself for a recurve blade. However I still think that the Styker model was very much overlooked and is a great Spyderco recurve blade as well. I sure wish the Adventura had the same handle as the Styker.

OK back to the Hawkbills:>> At this time I don't think there is a better deal to be had in the Hawkbill line up than the new H-1 Spyderhawk. In one sense I do think it would be somewhat advisable to start out with a Tasman, Merlin or Harpy to get the feel of a Hawkbill before jumping onto one of the bigger models. But as nice as the H-1 Spyderhawk turned out I wouldn't let that stop anyone.

The Spyderhawk does hold a special place in my heart because that was the Hawkbill model that really proved to me how great Hawkbill blades are and the potential they have.

Because of current finances I haven't yet owned a Superhawk but from the conversations I've had with a couple of guys who do own one I do think they are worth every penny. I can't for the life of me understand why the Superhawk is not available in SE >> to me that is a terrible injustice to the Superhawk because I think serrated Hawkbills are at their best in demanding situations. Why they don't offer the Superhawk or the Temperance 2 in SE is a "supreme headscratcher">> I think they should at least be available in SE on a special order basis if nothing else.

And for that reason I would at this time recommend the H-1 Spyderhawk in both SE & PE over all of them at this time.
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Not to be hawkbill-blasphemous but if you're tempted to give the Superhawk a test run you might handle/buy a Byrd Crossbill.

While it's not nearly a Superhawk, it is identical in many proportions such as blade length/arc. If you like it, you *should* love the Superhawk.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

FYI,

I just purchased a Superhawk on the BAY for $131.. The deals are out there!
    I cant wait to get it in the mail!

Quote Originally Posted by Hector Castro View Post
    The deals are out there!
    They are! And that is a GREAT one.

I just don't think this would ever actually be in my pocket. If it's not in my pocket, it won't see any use.

Sad because I like it a lot!

I think I'll just stick with the P'Kal for this style. It's small enough that I do carry it.

Ken
    玉鋼

Banned - Disrespectful PM to Admin.
    i got mine for 154 i think or something like that which is still a little high but who cares it is nice. smooth handle, nice lines, tough blade, nice curve-not too much-, etc. love it. also not as intimidating as aspyderhawk or tasman salt

Do you find it takes up quite a bit of room in your pocket? I don't know why I care. I don't carry anything else RFP but it just seems so large....

Ken
    玉鋼

Arrow Spyderhawk's ideal uses

I don't know if anyone has ever mentioned that the Spyderhawk is also a great gardening tool. And I'm sure the Superhawk would be as well. But the extra blade length of the Spyderhawk really makes it great for working around any type of vine growth control and it really makes a handy pruning tool on certain applications.

With the corrosion resistance of the new H-1 Spyderhawk I think they should target market the landscaping businesses. There are just endless uses a landscaper could use an H-1 Spyderhawk for.

Hawkbills offer many handy uses for all kinds of tradesmen. But the fishing and landscaping sectors should be all over that blade
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User bohica1998's Avatar
    Hawkbills offer many handy uses for all kinds of tradesmen. But the fishing and landscaping sectors should be all over that blade
    Sal said they have a mushroom farmer that buys a lot of Civilians to use in harvesting his crop! The possibilities are endless!
    58-1/2 's so far...
    Latest Arrival: C14PBK PE Rescue (Thanx Jeff!)
    On the Way: Nada at the moment

Spyderco Forum Registered User Billy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD Spydo View Post
    I don't know if anyone has ever mentioned that the Spyderhawk is also a great gardening tool. And I'm sure the Superhawk would be as well. But the extra blade length of the Spyderhawk really makes it great for working around any type of vine growth control and it really makes a handy pruning tool on certain applications.
    Funny you should mention that as mine got broken in this weekend in the yard. It saw alot of use trimming back some nasty vines that "bleed" white, sticky fluid every time you cut them as well as sticky, fibrous banana leaves. I also used for pruning the many philodendrons in the yard as well as the smaller palms. I always liked my Tasman for these jobs, but the SE Spyderhawk just shines in this arena. Later that day, it came to the beach with me for a little surfing session too. Gotta love that H1!
    I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
    I LOVE MY MILLIES
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ