Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: CALLING ALL "SALT" LOVERS! Ideas for a new "salt" knife.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    You should know that only one of our makers in Seki can work with H1. So on a "re-do", something like the Goddard could work, but a Caly wouldn't as the Caly maker does not work with H1.

Pardon my logical approach, but assuming we're talking a folder, what would be the most desired blade length? Then we can discuss most desired blade shape.

Materials like G-10 and most Carbon Fiber cannot hold a screw for a clip so a barrel bolt fastener would be needed to hold a clip.

sal

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    You should know that only one of our makers in Seki can work with H1. So on a "re-do", something like the Goddard could work, but a Caly wouldn't as the Caly maker does not work with H1.

Pardon my logical approach, but assuming we're talking a folder, what would be the most desired blade length? Then we can discuss most desired blade shape.

Materials like G-10 and most Carbon Fiber cannot hold a screw for a clip so a barrel bolt fastener would be needed to hold a clip.

sal
    My vote would be for something at least 3 1/2". On this particular knife I would rather have closer to 4". That combo edge we've discussed becomes a lot more practical on a longer blade IMO. It would indeed be nice to have a g10 model if the limitations you mentioned could be overcome.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderNut's Avatar
    Thank you for the insight on the H1 output, Sal.

As for the desired blade length, I would personally vote for a 3" blade or less. I would hazard to say that a 2 1/2" to 3" blade is probably going to appeal to a larger number of buyers (for EDC use) vs. a larger blade. I believe the combo-edge would still be effective on even a 3" blade. Picture the Walker Lightweight. Looking at the Goddard as a possibility, I wonder if it would be possible to find out which other current models would be feasible for an H1 run.
    Michael

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Goddard would rock dudes! For a real salt/fishing/boating knife Goddard is the size. Remember, the Gringo was asking for a Millie in H1 originally so making this a lime slicer for a Jimmy Buffett concert defeats the purpose IMO. If you have not handled the Goddard it has great ergos and a flat spine. The original came in a combo edge. This really needs to be looked at closely, and Sal all but said there are no hurdles.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Tdog's Avatar
    I guess an H-1 Mule is out of the question? A slightly buoyant scale that glows in the dark would be on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by twinboysdad View Post
    Goddard would rock dudes! For a real salt/fishing/boating knife Goddard is the size. Remember, the Gringo was asking for a Millie in H1 originally so making this a lime slicer for a Jimmy Buffett concert defeats the purpose IMO. If you have not handled the Goddard it has great ergos and a flat spine. The original came in a combo edge. This really needs to be looked at closely, and Sal all but said there are no hurdles.
    I have not handled the Goddard, but man, I was sure hoping for a choil. Blade shape looks nice. I think in a combo you could put three serrations (same as the military) and still have close to two inches of pe.

Did I mention I was hoping for something with a finger choil?

p.s. Sal, I am sure you have answered this somewhere, (probably more than once) but I haven't found it. Is there any chance of you guys making any more of the catcherman in h1? Honestly, that's probably as close to what I'm looking for as a lot of the stuff we are tossing around here. I would definitely be in for a couple.

A quick "salt" shot from today just to keep is focused on what's important. We just had him for dinner.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    I like the 3" blade length knives a lot. Barrel bolt clips are great, and would look good on the new PE sheepsfoot marlin spike knife. I'm thinking a barrel bolt would maybe chip G10 easy, so FRN or titanium.
    - best wishes, Jazz.

sal
    Logical approach? Now I'm interested

But what would be the most desirable blade length is another thing.
    The rub is that:
    Person 1 wants a small blade, till tiny
    Person 2 wants a middle length blade and
    Person 3 wants a long/big one.

So many persons, so many wishes
    Its an endless game.

The current H1 blades already covers the small- and middle lengths.
    Don't think we need more of the same currently. But something that differs. Makes me mainly interested in a larger one.

Personally I would like to see a H1 folder that has real Outdoor capabilities. A stouter knife with a strong/solid lock.
    Imo the properties of H1 steel will come there most to its right.
    Handle must be simple and solid too. An outdoor knife doesn't need to be complicated or flashy but will perform best with simple design. At the same time that will keep the price acceptable too.

(already in a former topic about H1 ideas, I opted for a Stretch XL)

Stretch XL (The Outdoor Stretch)

- A swollen Stretch blade (bit thicker and larger)
    - Enhanced choil (bigger and also deeper)
    - More solid lock
    - Thicker/wider handle >
    • version 1: Brown Tiger striped

• version 2: Yellow Wasp striped
    Last edited by Divo; 10-02-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Excellent post Divo. My thoughts almost exactly. Stretch xl?? Bring it on! See man, I knew we needed you in this thread!

Check this regrind stretch. Now this is starting to get interesting.
    Last edited by Surfingringo; 10-02-2013 at 07:10 PM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    Since my Salt 1 is such a great work knife, another in that size WOULD be nice, though. Variety is the spice of life. What about the Goddard in the mid size version? Oh man, would that be nice in yellow. I'd have a couple for sure. I have 5 or 6 Salt 1's, so...
    - best wishes, Jazz.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.47149...=300&h=300&p=0

a pic of your CE Stretch for reference, Gringo

Gringo,

Random thread derail, is that a Grouper? Also, I gather you are in Costa Rica. Do you cook your fish in their style, i.e. using the cheeks and throats? Got any sweet latino fish soup or stew recipes like a boullibase (spelling?)? I have a freezer full of Redfish that I am not brave enough to cook as a stand alone since my dad leaves the bloodline in before freezing

Rock snapper. I eat everything! Hehehe. The cheek meat on a snapper is the best meat on the fish...barring maybe the belly fat. It's funny you ask about soup. I'm not a big soup eater but my girlfriend loves it, so I made a spicy fish soup last week. Never tried it before, but man, it turned out unbelievable. I used an entire BIG mackerel skeleton that had been filleted. Boiled all the meat off the ribs and head, made a roux and went to work. Some of the best soup I've ever had! Email me and I'll share the recipe (best I can remember) if you like.

Oh, and in case u don't believe we eat everything, here's a couple of pounds of needlefish eggs that my girl and I fried and devoured today! They are soooo good!

Quote Originally Posted by Surfingringo View Post
    p.s. Sal, I am sure you have answered this somewhere, (probably more than once) but I haven't found it. Is there any chance of you guys making any more of the catcherman in h1? Honestly, that's probably as close to what I'm looking for as a lot of the stuff we are tossing around here. I would definitely be in for a couple.
    We've not had good luck with Catcherman sales have not been brisk, and we've used 3 different steels. A sprint is always possible, but we'd have to think hard as slow inventory is limiting.

I've been carrying a Salt 1 plain yellow. We're sending that model to the sailors in the mini-transat later this month.

sal

Makes sense. The catchermans definitely a specialty product.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blue Possum's Avatar
    My desire would be 2 3/4" to 3 1/4"
    Blue Possum

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    3" would be nice for a wide variety of legalities, maybe choil-less to maximise cutting edge. I've never needed more blade than a Cento4. I do love the Stretch's size though .
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

We've not had good luck with Catcherman sales have not been brisk, and we've used 3 different steels. A sprint is always possible, but we'd have to think hard as slow inventory is limiting.

I've been carrying a Salt 1 plain yellow. We're sending that model to the sailors in the mini-transat later this month.

sal
    I would like to buy a salt 1 too. Would you guys please run some of those and the pacific with a combo edge? I will buy one of each. If you do, I would vote for only 3 full serrations like on the military, keeping a nice long stretch of pe? I find I can do a lot with a little when it comes to serrations.

Thanks

Spyderco Forum Registered User dgebler's Avatar
    I love the idea of more salt's being produced, being from the coast and trying to spend as much time as possible on the beach (although I am sure I don't regularly see the kind of surf gringo sees in Costa Rica...I regularly dream of being back in Pavones myself). Personally, I agree that the current line covers the small-medium family pretty well, but we need a longer blade available. I did not track through the entire thread to see if I could id the current models made by the same factory which could easily translate to this need but I love the idea of a 4" blade with a decent stock and a few serrations sounds awesome. Personally for a user I don't mind the yellow FRN although I would def. be interested in G10 if feasible. As for blade shape, I am a sucker for the leaf shape first and foremost. I have to say the Caly 3.5 is my favorite overall shape although if this was 4" it would be even better for this model I am imagining...similar to the Calypso. Now if I had my preference, I would like the Calypso to be a little wider at the base of the blade, but even as designed this would be wicked in a Salt series especially with a few serrations...I can picture it now.

So, here is to a Calypso Salt with three serrations, yellow FRN would be fine, count me in!!! Also count me in for a catcherman of any variation (just missed the USN sprint).