Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: CALLING ALL "SALT" LOVERS! Ideas for a new "salt" knife.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    I am wondering if linerless Carbon Fiber is an option.

It might have to do with how the material stands up to water!
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    I am wondering if linerless Carbon Fiber is an option.

It might have to do with how the material stands up to water!
    I've thought about that as well. The same should be for G10 or Micarta given the construction.

My hunch is these materials would stand up about as well as a non-sealed/painted fiberglass vessel. At some point I expect delamination, but perhaps not.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User xavierdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Blonde View Post
    I would actually like to see a Salt Slipit, it would be the perfect vacation or travel folder. It's good to go on either land, water or legal surroundings.
    Excellent - I'm not alone!
    UKPK G10, UKPK Ti, Para 2CF&20CP, Stretch CF, Stretch CF conv, Manix2 M4,Endura Wave, Endura ZDP189, Pacific Salt, Captain, Gunting S30v, P'Kal, Gayle Bradley,Atlantic Salt, Spyderhawk, Crossbill, Wings slipit
    Mules: CTSBD1, Super Blue, S90V, VG10, S35VN, Cos-3, M390 Fixed: Bushcraft, Warrior

Spyderco Forum Registered User Dodge's Avatar
    PE Pacfic salt with a fish scaler spine.

ETA: From the "what sprint would you commission" thread. I said I would like a Flat Iron folder with H1 and yellow frn
    "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"

Spyderco Forum Registered User araneae's Avatar
    It would seem like a Goddard would be the no brainer for a Salt. It meets all the requirements and molds exist. Or maybe a Jess Horn.
    So many knives, so few pockets...
    -Nick
    Light Modding and Wharnifying when time permits

Just got:Lum Nishijin

The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderNut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by araneae View Post
    It would seem like a Goddard would be the no brainer for a Salt. It meets all the requirements and molds exist. Or maybe a Jess Horn.
    +100 on both. Add a H1 Dyad and Manbug and I'll be in heaven.
    Michael

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Goddard! Goddard! Goddard!

Hmm, I'm not 100% on the Goddard. Have we been overlooking something though? Isn't THIS knife made in japan??

Quote Originally Posted by xavierdoc View Post
    Excellent - I'm not alone!
    Pingo Salt. That would be fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfingringo View Post
    Hmm, I'm not 100% on the Goddard. Have we been overlooking something though? Isn't THIS knife made in japan??

If you are looking at a linered knife made rust proof, you are talking a huge price increase. Also, the Stretch is FFG which is a no go for H1.
    -Nick

Lol I was pushing for a CE salt for a while, but gave up because no one seemed interested, I had it as my signature for about a year. I still don't understand why spyderco don't offer one in their lineup...

I wanted one for myself to try H1 serrations and still have a knife I could use EDC but there should be a good market for an all purpose boating/fishing knife, the current offerings are too specialized to cover all bases with one blade IMO. I actually just brought a tasman to try H1 but there is no way I could carry it as a primary blade, I need some PE too.

I would like to see a model with a PE belly at the front, and a re-curve CE section at the back, an S shape of sorts, I also think a wave is a MUST for this type of knife. Ti bb clip, linerless frn handle, standard salt features.

Heres what's in my head, weather it would work or not is a different story, my rough sketch would obviously need some tweaking

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blue Possum's Avatar
    I have been also on the outside look in as only a reader of the forum for about 3 years. But I could not resist joining and voicing my opinion about a salt model possibility.

I really like the idea of remote release versions.

1) EMT version - SE Sheepfoot ( Ironstone exclusive )
    2) EMT version - PE Sheepfoot ( has not been previously released ) would only need to modify the blade designed from the existing SE design
    or
    3) Remote Release II version SE
    4) Remote Release II version PE ( has not been previously released ) would only need to modify the blade designed from the existing SE design.
    I do know there was PE in the 1st release but personally I like the 2nd version more.

Reasoning:
    -Existing designed and molds cutting down the cost

-These are liner less which seems typical of the salt series to keep the cost down

-Three pin design Minimal pins seems is typical of the salt

-Front Back Lock length typical of the salt series to keep cost down. Back lock also makes the knife right and left hand usable.

-They is no need to have a removable clip due too the shackle

-Lanyard hole is large

-Spydie hole is large

-The design of the remote release is great for outdoor use with barrel shackle clip it allows for quick access. The EMT version - SE Sheepfoot blade is very close to the Salt Saver SE, jimping and the choil being major difference. Jimping could also be added to the remote release with minimal effort, the choil on the other hand would require handle design change, and new molds. The handle and barrel shackle makes a big difference. The handle at the end is cut back toward the shackle allowing a better position for the last finger(IMO), it is wider, and longer, and provides a better grip this important factor when adding wet hands on a knife, on a moving boat, kayak, or floating up and down in the water. The shackle allows the knife to be in immediate location, for fast one handed access, that a clip will not allow. Try clipping a knife on clothing or belt webbing then jumping in water to access the knife. It takes practically two hands or rip what the knife is clip too, or break the clip. The alternative is too attach a S style clip or carabineer directly to the lanyard hole or a place paracord through the lanyard hole, and attach the S clip to the lanyard. This does work but not as good as the remote release barrel lock. A S clip would create more bouncing, not as easy to remove, not lay as flat, the S clip could be in the way of deploying, and using of the knife. The hand position when removing the clip is toward the end of the knife, once removed one will have to reposition to open.

To be fair I also have to recognize possible negatives:
    -Pin designed this is something the staff at Spyderco can elect to keep or change to a screw design.

-No clip some will want a clip. The shackle design inherently allows for the knife bouncing, one could offset with velcro or elastic loop near the pivot if it was on the chest area of a life jacket if needed. There is no tip down carry, but there is not on any of the salts that I am aware of, appears this is to avoid any screw holes near the pivot area, where sand, salt could makes it way in the pivot area, if the user was using as a tip up carry leaving the tip up screw holes exposed.

-Kraton handle inserts, I think over time in water, salt and sun these would deteriorate. The inserts are the same design as the volcano grip, could change this to be one solid piece. Not sure if this would require to change the mold design.

-Barrel bar will need HI material or possible titanium(?) adding to material cost

-The handle will not be quite as strong as the other salts, because the handle will need to be 2 separate pieces due to assembling of the barrel bar.
    The other salts have a one piece handle design. There is the mold line one can see, but the handles are not two separate pieces.

- The textured release pin tab area exposes the spring, where sand, salt, flesh from fish can get lodge in. There could be a part made as part of the tab that could be made to cover the spring, probably not tight enough to keep all items out. Not sure if this can be accomplished without a mold change, the tab itself is a separate part.

What I can see as the major obstacle is the barrel camber getting sand and salt in the chamber and binding it up. Would the small spring hold up made from H1. The demand for this model

Changing design and new molds would be costly, there would need to be a high demand to makes this possible then using the existing design and mold.
    Blue Possum

Quote Originally Posted by araneae View Post
    If you are looking at a linered knife made rust proof, you are talking a huge price increase. Also, the Stretch is FFG which is a no go for H1.
    So the cost of adding h1 liners to one of the existing salt models would be a huge price increase? Are you sure? I don't know what the cost of h1 steel is, nor do I know the cost of milling liners, but I would indeed be willing to pay a premium, as I'm sure many other would too. We also have to remember that the salt knives are pretty darn affordable as they are. So a 30% price increase increase on one of the salts would be $15-$20. I could certainly swing that for a knife that better suited my needs. But whatever, I'm just pulling numbers out of the air...based on no real knowledge. But like I said in my op, the "liner" concern is secondary to blade shape...and even to handle style. In other words, I would prefer a new salt with the handle shape and choil of the stretch over a h1 linered endura. Just my .02

Regarding the ffg of the stretch. I have a feeling that changing the grind is not such a huge deal. Spyderco has done it with numerous knives. They did it with the dragonfly specifically to accommodate h1 steel. Either way, it's the handle and ergos of the stretch that caught my attention more than the actual blade shape.

Quote Originally Posted by w3tnz View Post
    Lol I was pushing for a CE salt for a while, but gave up because no one seemed interested, I had it as my signature for about a year. I still don't understand why spyderco don't offer one in their lineup...

I wanted one for myself to try H1 serrations and still have a knife I could use EDC but there should be a good market for an all purpose boating/fishing knife, the current offerings are too specialized to cover all bases with one blade IMO. I actually just brought a tasman to try H1 but there is no way I could carry it as a primary blade, I need some PE too.

I would like to see a model with a PE belly at the front, and a re-curve CE section at the back, an S shape of sorts, I also think a wave is a MUST for this type of knife. Ti bb clip, linerless frn handle, standard salt features.

Heres what's in my head, weather it would work or not is a different story, my rough sketch would obviously need some tweaking

The recurve is actually a very interesting idea. I don't know how much I would like it in real world use. I'm going to imagine it later today when I have my pacific salt out sawing through some mackerel. Part of me likes the idea, but I'm afraid I might get frustrated having my serrations recessed like that. A lot of my se use is processing fish on a cutting board. I definitely like the way you're thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by Surfingringo View Post
    So the cost of adding h1 liners to one of the existing salt models would be a huge price increase? Are you sure? I don't know what the cost of h1 steel is, nor do I know the cost of milling liners, but I would indeed be willing to pay a premium, as I'm sure many other would too. We also have to remember that the salt knives are pretty darn affordable as they are. So a 30% price increase increase on one of the salts would be $15-$20. I could certainly swing that for a knife that better suited my needs. But whatever, I'm just pulling numbers out of the air...based on no real knowledge. But like I said in my op, the "liner" concern is secondary to blade shape...and even to handle style. In other words, I would prefer a new salt with the handle shape and choil of the stretch over a h1 linered endura. Just my .02

Regarding the ffg of the stretch. I have a feeling that changing the grind is not such a huge deal. Spyderco has done it with numerous knives. They did it with the dragonfly specifically to accommodate h1 steel. Either way, it's the handle and ergos of the stretch that caught my attention more than the actual blade shape.
    Well, if you look at direct comparisons like the Salt Ladybug vs regular you have about a 15% increase on the Salt knife or about $10 for that knife. To do a linered knife, you would be looking at a much greater amount of rust proof material for the liners, more screws than an unlined knife, plus you add a Titanium clip.

So right off the bat if you just add the minimal 15% for H1 steel you are looking at a $105 street price for a Stretch- and that's not even considering adding rust proof liners, Ti clip, etc... In the end you are probably pushing closer to $150 for a Salt Stretch, I can't see that being a popular model.
    -Nick

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    How could I forget?! A PE sheep foot blade with a marlin spike. Working with ropes a bit now, I'd love one. I know I'm not alone here.

Pingo Salt sounds cool, too.
    - best wishes, Jazz.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jul's Avatar
    I would love a Stretch Salt! Blade style ond handle ergos are one of Sypderco's best (imho).
    Best would be linerless, high hollow grind like on the D'fly Salt, CE(!), bi-directional texturing, pointy tip. There was a pic with a reground spine posted lately - that would be awesome!
    Last edited by jul; 10-02-2013 at 07:57 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    To make a Stretch h1 all supporting hardware would have to be rustproof, lockbar, liners, screws, a different clip, etc. additionally it would have to be hollow or high-hollow ground. H1 is more expensive than VG10. Look at the Pacific Salt and Endura4. They are very similar in msrp while not similar at all in complexity.

I'd rather see a new Salt than a rehashed model. If we went that route (sprint) a Salt Jess Horn Lightweight would be my ideal. Linerless, hollow ground, thin tip, and more of a gents knife than anything else in the Salt line. The clip would have to change material or design though.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by w3tnz View Post

I don't know about all that, but the recurve/combo edge is one combo edge that I might be tempted to buy.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Mutt's Avatar
    There already are plenty of "Gentlemen's"salts out there. Dfly is most useful of them. I would still like to see a native salt or something larger.