Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: CALLING ALL "SALT" LOVERS! Ideas for a new "salt" knife.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    You know what I noticed today when comparing the specs of the Pacific to the Military? They don't make a combo edge Pacific.

It would be nice to see some more options. I was/am definitely on the bandwagon for seeing a high hollow grind across the entire Salt series.

A while back there was a hunter on here that made a few threads explaining why every hunting knife should have a drop point. Those were pretty interesting threads. So you just need more piercing ability?

Maybe you should get a salt reground. Do you think a swedge would help out? Check out this southard regrind someone posted:

-Brian
    A distinguished lurker. Waiting on a Squeak, Pingo, and Cliptools with a Split Spring!
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User WireEdge Roger's Avatar
    That was mine, I do miss it.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Hmm

Every time I see people starting new topics with common subjects, and so we end with multiple topics about the same subject.

Last topic about this particular subject is 3 weeks old >>

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showt...-1-Salt-Series

Another H1 fan here. I love the Dragonfly blade, but hate the handle. I'm more in favor of something like the Navigator handle, or maybe a scaled down Delica / scaled up Lady Bug handle, or maybe even a Man Bug handle, though admittedly I've never held a Man Bug.

However, my real dream H1 knife would resemble a Benchmade 530: very thin handles which are easy to slip in any pocket (even front shirt pocket), has a long enough blade for most cutting tasks, and is extremely light weight for EDC, ultralight backpacking, and biking.

The blade does not have to be that extreme of a spear point, and I'm sure it will be some kind of lockback which I am ok with since I am left-handed. Priorities for me are overall thinness both handle and blade, FRN scales for lightness (though Benchmade was also able to implement nested liners and still make the knife less than 2oz.), and it must lock.

I'd rather not have to carry both a BM530 and serrated H1 Dragonfly with me everyday. But I'd rather be stuck with this "problem" than a lot of other problems out there in the world.

Thanks for listening Sal!

Nice regrind. Yes, my desire for a finer tip is for more piercing ability. Certain fish require a sharp tip. Trigger fish comes to mind. Extremely tough skin and you have to puncture it and score it all the way around from the inside. The pm2 actually works very well on these fish. It's completely flat spine and pointy tip make it easy to push the blade along just under the skin without going too deep while "scoring" each side of the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Divo View Post
    Hmm

Every time I see people starting new topics with common subjects, and so we end with multiple topics about the same subject.

Last topic about this particular subject is 3 weeks old >>

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showt...-1-Salt-Series
    Yes, you make an excellent point. Judging from the number of threads, this must be something that a lot of spyderco users are very interested in!

Quote Originally Posted by Surfingringo View Post
    Nice regrind. Yes, my desire for a finer tip is for more piercing ability. Certain fish require a sharp tip. Trigger fish comes to mind. Extremely tough skin and you have to puncture it and score it all the way around from the inside. The pm2 actually works very well on these fish. It's completely flat spine and pointy tip make it easy to push the blade along just under the skin without going too deep while "scoring" each side of the fish.
    Triggerfish...so choice. Great on the grill, great in a cubion(sp?). I love most all bottom fish. Trolling is a crap shoot on motion sickness and frankly I like to pound beers and bring home grouper, snapper, amberjack, and triggers vs mackerel and green gills!

Spyderco Forum Registered User razorsharp's Avatar
    I think a ling recurve available in PE, CE and SE would be a good idea for fisherman, the recurve will be great for ripe and twines, while the belly would be good for cutting bait and stuffs...
    -Travis
    Come chat with us on IRC

Visit the knife picture site http://sharpthings.net/
    Super-steel Nut

To the sharpening junkies: SHOW THOSE EDGES!
    Spyderco Knives- Southard- Resilience
    Others- Shirogorov Hati - Strider SnG DGG- Ozark Tradition DC Slicer- Curtiss Nano- Strider SMF Lego- Curtiss F3 3.5"
    Inbound: Zero Tolerance 0777 (thanks USPS for losing it )

You can apply a flat spine to any knife. Check out this mod thread.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showt...-Florida-legal
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker. Waiting on a Squeak, Pingo, and Cliptools with a Split Spring!

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    You can apply a flat spine to any knife. Check out this mod thread.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showt...-Florida-legal
    Interesting! Thanks! I think my pacific salt might be getting a homemade regrind real soon!

Let us know how it turns out!
    -Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Surfingringo View Post
    Yes, you make an excellent point. Judging from the number of threads, this must be something that a lot of spyderco users are very interested in!
    The strangest thing is that a lot posters already made their comments in former topics about the subject, but again post the same things here, like they have no memory . . . . And you know what? Over 3 weeks from now another guy starting a topic about Salt H1 ideas, and they do it again . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Divo View Post
    The strangest thing is that a lot posters already made their comments in former topics about the subject, but again post the same things here, like they have no memory . . . . And you know what? Over 3 weeks from now another guy starting a topic about Salt H1 ideas, and they do it again . . .
    Yes, we can hope so. Many a new spyderco knife has been born of such enthusiasm and feedback! Thanks for your support in both threads. Hope we can count on seeing you in the next one too! .

Wire clip.
    All God's critters have knives.

Thanx Lance. Good input. I'll try to stay on top of the thread and add limits where I can.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    I'm all about the Salt 1, so give me one with titanium or linerless G10, and I'll be happy. Maybe a PE Saver?
    - best wishes, Jazz.

Although I'm pretty much 100% certain it would not be feasible, I personally would like to see an H1 version of the Ulize. As well as a smaller, 3.5"-bladed little brother. Each coming in either SE or PE options. The handles could still be FRN. They would be the economical, lightweight, rust-proof versions of the Ulize.

As far as higher hollow grinds on Salts, IMO that would be great, although I'm sure they're done the way they are for their intended purposes. I have noticed that the ones with higher HGs, like the D'fly and Spyderhawk Salts, have shallower serrations, which helps in cutting ability, *and* makes them stronger/less prone to snag or deform. Of course, with a PE, a higher hollow grind would be better all-around, and probably a longer useful life for the knife, allowing for more resharpenings over time.

Jim

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Nickel Alumibronze is kinda yellow...
    Blake

Spyderco Forum Registered User Mr Blonde's Avatar
    I would actually like to see a Salt Slipit, it would be the perfect vacation or travel folder. It's good to go on either land, water or legal surroundings.

Last update: 03-21-2014 - WTC 2507 - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    Thanx Lance. Good input. I'll try to stay on top of the thread and add limits where I can.

sal
    Thank you Sal. Speaking of adding limits, could you maybe give us an idea about what's feasible as far as handles go? Several here have mentioned either liner-less g10 or adding h1 (or other corrosion free) liners to one of the frn handles. As far as Im concerned, I just want strength and structural integrity, so I'd probably just vote for frn with liners, but if we could have a g10 model with liners, sure, I would be all for it. Actually, if it were done in g10 with liners it would probably be easier to market it as a "premium" salt than just frn with liners. But maybe you could let us know if these ideas are realistic from a production standpoint before we go barking up that tree.

A lot of the little things we are talking about could be done around the pacific salt model. If you were going to modify an existing offering, however, I would much rather have the blade and features I've mentioned on the Atlantic salt handle! I just love the control and leverage I gain by having a finger choil on my work knives.

Thanks again,

Lance

p.s. I just want to mention that the pacific salt is a tremendous knife. I carry mine every time I go out on the ocean (which is most every day). All of the salt knives are amazing. I use them every day, so I have some ideas about little changes that I think would make an even more useful ocean/fishing/boat knife. I just want to make sure that it doesn't sound as if I'm complaining. I'm very grateful for the entire salt lineup, and I'm also grateful that you and the rest of the crew listen to our feedback.
    Last edited by Surfingringo; 10-01-2013 at 01:59 PM.