Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: CALLING ALL "SALT" LOVERS! Ideas for a new "salt" knife.

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Wow, stainless handle with H1 blade? I wasn't aware of that one!
    I have been hunting for one for a while. They still bring a premium in new condition.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawks, D'fly (H1,G-10), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V[2],XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleaf, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Caly (JR's,3,3.5-SB), D3, Para-2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescue, Dyad Jr, Pingo, Southard, AIR, Jess Horn, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II
    Mules> MT05,08,09,12,15,16,17, 18

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I thought it would be good to mention the new "tusk" within this thread. Man, what a brilliant design! It's not a knife that I need, but it's a great example of why I trust spyderco to make an amazing new salt knife. I hope Sal and company come out with something along the lines of what we've been discussing here that is as well designed as the tusk. Looks like an awesome knife!

Oh, and btw, I'll throw a little fishing story in for fun. Mahi mahi were running yesterday and I hooked a HUGE bull on a popper. Had him right at the side of the boat and when I went to gaff him, the rubber handle slipped off the gaff and I watched the biggest mahi I've ever fought swim away while I was sitting there holding a rubber handle. Does spyderco make gaffs??

I think he was the biggest one in the water, but luckily he wasn't the only one. A couple of others...

Damn I love Mahi. Nice looking catches, all of them.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawks, D'fly (H1,G-10), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V[2],XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleaf, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Caly (JR's,3,3.5-SB), D3, Para-2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescue, Dyad Jr, Pingo, Southard, AIR, Jess Horn, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    My condolences on the one that got away!

Shouldn't you change your name to FishingGringo?
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

He lead's the life I want when I retire one of these days. Fish all day and eat all night.
    My 's:

*Landon*

My condolences on the one that got away!

Lol, yeah, maybe. I split it about 50/50 between the two. I'll leave the surf shots for another forum. At least I can keep my fishing bs remotely knife relevant. .

Speaking of knife relevant, I forgot the best part of that story!! That mahi in the photo would have gotten away too if I had not had the pacific salt handy. It swam around the kayak and got the line tangled in the sabiki line I had hanging off a rod in the rear rod holder. If he had run in that moment he would have broken off. I reached back over my head with the PAC salt and those sharp little serrations snagged and cut the free line and the problem was solved before it turned into a disaster. Seriously, that would have broken my heart to lose two in a row. Luckily for me, that tool worked a lot better than my gaff. Equipment failures are the worst. They cost you fish and can even be dangerous. I feel pretty confident with the salt knives out there. Good stuff!

Ok...one for fun. SURFINGRINGO. .

Quote Originally Posted by Surfingringo View Post
    Ok...one for fun. SURFINGRINGO. .
    AHHHHHH now the username works better in my mind.
    My 's:

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Nice picture.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

So what do you guys think about that tusk? Looks like a really neat design to me. What about a larger version with a similar design but instead of a marlin spike it could have a se hawkbill?? I know Sal said hat h1 doesn't work well with a frame/liner lock...just trying to imagine something along those lines. Kind of like a titanium dyad with a hawkbill and better ergos. Hmmm

So what do you guys think about that tusk? Looks like a really neat design to me. What about a larger version with a similar design but instead of a marlin spike it could have a se hawkbill?? I know Sal said hat h1 doesn't work well with a frame/liner lock...just trying to imagine something along those lines. Kind of like a titanium dyad with a hawkbill and better ergos. Hmmm
    I've never used a marlinspike, but I liked the design enough I pre-ordered one about the instant it became available . I can get tangles in line/rope like nobody's business, so I will be interested in trying it to undo knots and tangles.
    Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E)

I am interested in the Tusk. I will weigh in with my opinions on upgrades when I get one in hand and into use. I do lots of paracord work and have to keep a bras fid around as an improvised spike. The Tusk could fill a genuine role in my use. My fear is that it will fall into the category like the Spyderwrench and be a less popular model. The design is certainly brilliant and I don't think I will be able to pass on one.
    My 's:

*Landon*

Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    I am interested in the Tusk. I will weigh in with my opinions on upgrades when I get one in hand and into use. I do lots of paracord work and have to keep a bras fid around as an improvised spike. The Tusk could fill a genuine role in my use. My fear is that it will fall into the category like the Spyderwrench and be a less popular model. The design is certainly brilliant and I don't think I will be able to pass on one.
    I think it is a great show of creativity! As a former sailor I will get this knife! That marlin spike will come in handy when you least expect it! I would like to know more about the ceramic ball though!

Quote Originally Posted by eric m. View Post
    I think it is a great show of creativity! As a former sailor I will get this knife! That marlin spike will come in handy when you least expect it! I would like to know more about the ceramic ball though!
    A little searching here for keywords like ceramic and dodo should find you lots of info. I remember a forum member swapping out a ceramic ball in his Manix 2 and lots of great experiences and facts were posted related to their strenght and benefits. It was before the CF dodo came out IIRC.
    My 's:

*Landon*

We're still working on a larger H1 model. We did somne investigating and we should be able to make one with G-10 scales.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User Officer Gigglez's Avatar
    Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.
    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    We're still working on a larger H1 model. We did somne investigating and we should be able to make one with G-10 scales.

sal
    That would make my day.
    Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
    -Tenacious G-10, Combo edge
    -Tasman Salt, PE
    -Persistence Limited Edition Blue G-10, PE
    -Pacific Salt, Black, PE
    -Delica 4, Grey FRN, Emerson Wave, PE
    -Karahawk collector's club #015, Custom Scales, Emerson Wave, PE
    -DiAlex Junior, G10, PE
    -Byrd SS Crossbill, PE, Custom Engraved

sal
    BOOM! Does yellow G10 exist?

Wow, that's some pretty exciting news Sal! I've got complete faith that you guys are going to give us something better than I could imagine. It would be awesome to see this result in a new iconic salt knife. We can't have an h1 military, but maybe we will get a knife that becomes to the salt line what the military is to the rest of spyderco knives. I would take that deal, what about you TBD?

On a side note, I managed to coerce a buddy on the other site into selling me one of his unused aqua salts so I have that waiting on me when I go to the states in a couple of weeks. Looks like a really useful design. I'm kind of surprised that it didn't stay in production as I've never heard anything but spectacular reviews. I wonder if the knife would have sold better if a similar blade had been packed into this new g10 "salt" handle Sals talking about?
    Last edited by Surfingringo; 12-30-2013 at 03:06 PM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User MCM's Avatar

Thumbs up

sal
    Thanks Sal. To me, it needs to be big and simple. Easy to clean with on open back. Not many areas for "stuff" to get trapped.
    3 3/4" - 4" blade would suit me best. If its H1 defiantly full serrated.
    Last edited by MCM; 12-30-2013 at 03:38 PM.

More S90v & CF please.......

I'd vote for a PE "Harpy2" in H1.
    Last edited by ToddN; 12-31-2013 at 12:29 AM.