Thread: Question about the Byrd line

Spyderco Forum Registered User akapennypincher's Avatar

Question Question about the Byrd line

I owned one Byrd, a rescue. Too me it was an inferior, cheap version of a RESCUE Jr. Are my ideas wrong, or on the MONEY?
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Words of Wisdom Albert Einstein-American Scientist 1879-1955

Spyderco Forum Registered User araneae's Avatar
    Well the byrds are by design, economically priced knives with decent materials and great design. Many of them have a Spyderco line counterpart like the rescue. For the money, they are excellent knives and hard to beat at their price point.
    So many knives, so few pockets...
    -Nick
    Light Modding and Wharnifying when time permits

Just got:Lum Nishijin

The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    I guess it depends on your definition of "inferior". If based on F&F and overall aesthetic, probably. If based on an unreliable tool, it shouldn't be.

Otherwise the cheap clone of the original is pretty much the idea behind most of the Byrd knives. High performance tools without all the fancy bells and whistles.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User akapennypincher's Avatar
    You hit the nail, F&F and overall aesthetic.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Words of Wisdom Albert Einstein-American Scientist 1879-1955

Spyderco Forum Registered User GreatSyxsuke's Avatar
    The only Byrd I ever have had an issue with in regards to F&F was the Byrd Flight. The edges on the pivot end of the slabs were not very well smoothed so it tore up my hand a bit when I reached into my pocket. My Cara Cara 2 and Meadowlark 2 are perfectly acceptable tools with no F&F issues and an excellent quality steel for the money.
    Current carry: Spyderco Squeak or Spyderco Pingo (Back right pocket), Paramilitary 2 Black G10 (front right pocket)

Future wants: Karahawk

"It's far better to carry and never need than to not carry and desperately need."

Spyderco Forum Registered User defenestrate's Avatar
    akapennypincher, while the Cara Cara Rescue I gave to my woman to my eyes is made well, with a rather satisfying action to the lock, the model (as all byrds) is selling for drastically less than the standard Rescue. I would not expect it to be as good as the model. My experience has been, however, that the byrds I own are reliable effective cutters that may need to be sharpened a bit more often but otherwise seem to carry similar durability/usability to their counterparts. There are even some things I prefer in the byrd versions of knives, and the price is impressive. Without knowing what you consider inferior or cheap about the Rescue you have, it is difficult to give you a useful answer. If your concern is simply that a $20 knife does not live up to your expectations of a $70 knife, then you may find that the byrd line is not for you.
    I don't get mad. I get..Stabby.
    -Fat Tony

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I ever further to simulation the evaluation noesis and this event I recovered in you communicator. Your article has helped me to understand this subject on a different level.