Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spyderco Bird & trout knife?

Spyderco Forum Registered User JT's Avatar

Spyderco Bird & trout knife?

I don't recall seing a thread before, so here goes: how about a Spyderco Bird&trout knife? FB of course, maybe H1. What do you guys think, and if you like the idea, what shape/ size it should be.
    -The Cult Of The Curved Ones- C.O.T.C.O.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    i read somewhere that spyderco is working with phil wilson on another knife, might be this model, but im not sure
    -----Dreaming of: M4 Bird & Trout collaboration with Phil Wilson-----

Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User FCM415's Avatar
    Yep, there was a concept at SHOT/Amsterdam meet of Phil Wilson's version of the Bird and Trout.

I asked Phil about it and he said that if anything, it is still a ways off.

I've seen it discussed here a few times since then with myself probably being its most vocal proponent.
    Upcoming: N5 CF/S110v, N5 LWT, DragonFly SB, Marcin Slysz Bowie, Farid Mehr K2, Peter Carey Rubicon, Gayle Bradley Fixed Blade, Phil Wilson Sprig, Mule Team 4V

(Some) Wishes: Native5 CHIEF, Sub 4 inch versions of the Mehr K2 and Carey Rubicon, More M4 and Use CPM-154!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Yes there is a prototype making the rounds at shows done by Phil Wilson. I got a chance to handle it at the OKCA show and it is a winner. Hope it makes it to production sooner than later.
    Current : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10

I'd be into it. Where can one see the prototype?

I'd love to see another Phil Wilson. The South Fork is probably the most useful tool I've ever owned.

Please make this come true, the Phil Bird and Trout that is! We can go with CPM-154, a Phil Wilson favorite or deep end like K294 another steel he uses. Maybe one in 3.5 and the other 4 inches

Quote Originally Posted by FCM415 View Post
    Please make this come true, the Phil Bird and Trout that is! We can go with CPM-154, a Phil Wilson favorite or deep end like K294 another steel he uses. Maybe one in 3.5 and the other 4 inches
    i will buy it either way because phil is arguably my favourite knife maker, but i would be way more stoked if it was a fancier steel than cpm 154. that steel wont be anything special if phil isnt heat treating it. id much prefer it to be M4, or K294 would be incredible

Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

There's three reasons why I suggested CPM154. One, Phil uses it. Two, it's actually a damn good steel from my experience with it. Three, I imagine that Spyderco may want to hit a certain price point and the steel gives it performance and value. I'm with you though, K294,K390,S110v etc. would be awesome! Price won't stop me but to prod this along I think everyone would be happy with CPM154.

There's three reasons why I suggested CPM154. One, Phil uses it. Two, it's actually a damn good steel from my experience with it. Three, I imagine that Spyderco may want to hit a certain price point and the steel gives it performance and value. I'm with you though, K294,K390,S110v etc. would be awesome! Price won't stop me but to prod this along I think everyone would be happy with CPM154.
    very good points. Phil does use M4 as well. in fact i am going to make sure my next knife from him is in M4

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User ChapmanPreferred's Avatar
    Interested.
    SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
    Work EDC List
    FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
    FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
    BRP: CF Military S90V
    BLP: Forum S110V Native

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Given that I've seen "Bird & Trout" and its variant "Trout & Bird" used to describe knives ranging from skeletonized 2" bladed neck knives with and without gut hooks. to Randall's 4" clip point and Phil Wilson's 4" drop point offerings, I think someone needs to clarify what their vision of a Spyderco "Bird & Trout" would look like. I could go for a knife that combined the blade shape and grind of Phil's B&T with the bolstered stag handle of Randall traditionally uses on theirs and would be all over one that combined that same style handle with a blade like that of AG Russell's 3" bladed version.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    Given that I've seen "Bird & Trout" and its variant "Trout & Bird" used to describe knives ranging from skeletonized 2" bladed neck knives with and without gut hooks. to Randall's 4" clip point and Phil Wilson's 4" drop point offerings, I think someone needs to clarify what their vision of a Spyderco "Bird & Trout" would look like. I could go for a knife that combined the blade shape and grind of Phil's B&T with the bolstered stag handle of Randall traditionally uses on theirs and would be all over one that combined that same style handle with a blade like that of AG Russell's 3" bladed version.
    adding bolsters to phils bird and trout would be an epic combination. especially in M4

-Spencer

I'd like to see Phil Wilson's Bird and Trout custom translated into a production version just as the Spyderco's Phil Wilson's South Fork was in the same spirit as Phil Wilson's custom South Fork.

The concept/proto is already making its way onto shows and we already know that this Bird and Trout is a Phil Wilson collaboration so it is safe to assume that the finished product will look like these: http://www.seamountknifeworks.com/gr...bird_trout.jpg, http://www.seamountknifeworks.com/gr..._and_Trout.jpg, https://www.google.com/search?q=Phil...w=1366&bih=638

Handle material and color,steel choice, and length of 3.5 or 4 inch we do not yet know.

I have a Browning Stag Bird & Fish model 522 folding pocket knife so there's no reason why it couldn't be a folder as well.

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    I'd like to see Phil Wilson's Bird and Trout custom translated into a production version just as the Spyderco's Phil Wilson's South Fork was in the same spirit as Phil Wilson's custom South Fork.

The concept/proto is already making its way onto shows and we already know that this Bird and Trout is a Phil Wilson collaboration so it is safe to assume that the finished product will look like these: http://www.seamountknifeworks.com/gr...bird_trout.jpg, http://www.seamountknifeworks.com/gr..._and_Trout.jpg, https://www.google.com/search?q=Phil...w=1366&bih=638

Handle material and color,steel choice, and length of 3.5 or 4 inch we do not yet know.
    What nice knives...I'd be happy with one of those in just about any steel and handle material.

"Accidental" bump. Hi Phil!

Spyderco Forum Registered User ChapmanPreferred's Avatar
    Again, I'm interested!
    SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
    Work EDC List
    FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
    FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
    BRP: CF Military S90V
    BLP: Forum S110V Native

After my experiences with the South Fork, I will immediately buy at least one of any future Spyderco/Phil Wilson collaboration, regardless of what it is or how much it costs.

Count me in. Any knife to do with fishing I'll buy just cause.
    ~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~