Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Native Lightweight

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar

Native Lightweight

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    Eric and I are usually carrying and testing prptotypes. Today we are testing the Native Light weight.

sal
    Do tell Sal. I'm very curious to hear some more details on this one. Is it based on the Native 5? Will it have FRN, CF or G10 scales? What steel will it have? FFG?

I have to say a Native 5 that weighs less than 3 oz. is something I could get REALLY excited about.

Spyderco Forum Registered User araneae's Avatar
    I thought that this one was over a year out after talking to Eric at blade. I have to say that it is one of the most anticipated new models for me. I can't wait to see how it turns out and I really hope it has a swedge.
    So many knives, so few pockets...
    -Nick
    Light Modding and Wharnifying when time permits

Just got:Lum Nishijin

The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    It's certainly taken longer than intended, but that is often the case. We'd prefer not to pull the trigger until we know it's as right as a new model can be. We had a time making the mold. The model is a co-polymer injection molded handle. The lock is the Native5 lock. 2.46 oz. 4 way clip. The model we're testing is S35VN.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User einstein2001's Avatar
    I hope we get an interesting color for the lightweight native. Dark Royal blue or Burgundy would be cool.
    Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
    Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
    Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
    ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly

-Brandon

Spyderco Forum Registered User klug932000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by einstein2001 View Post
    I hope we get an interesting color for the lightweight native. Dark Royal blue or Burgundy would be cool.
    +1

Spyderco Forum Registered User D1omedes's Avatar
    2.46 oz and a 4-way clip? Hmm ... I wonder if there are steel liners?

I guess this rules out a wire clip, too. Poopy.

Spyderco Forum Registered User FCM415's Avatar
    I am glad to hear that it is coming along and these should never get rushed. The desired end result of getting it right is more important. Is there enough time to consider it in another steel? Perhaps CPM154, another American steel fit for the Native and I'd like to see this steel in a Spyderco. S35vn is fine also of course.
    Upcoming: N5 CF/S110v, N5 LWT, DragonFly SB, Marcin Slysz Bowie, Farid Mehr K2, Peter Carey Rubicon, Manix LWT S110v Blue, Gayle Bradley Fixed Blade, Phil Wilson Sprig, Mule Team 4V

(Some) Wishes: Native5 CHIEF, Sub 4 inch versions of the Mehr K2 and Carey Rubicon, More M4 and Use CPM-154!

Confirmed!
    We have, in-the-works; a Phil Wilson B & T....sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by D1omedes View Post
    2.46 oz and a 4-way clip? Hmm ... I wonder if there are steel liners?

I guess this rules out a wire clip, too. Poopy.
    The current FRN Native Lightweight weighs a bit more (2.65 oz) so, unless FRCP weighs significantly less than FRN, I think we can rule out steel liners. OTOH, I would not rule out a 4 way wire clip. The Des Horn mounts a wire clip on the pivot bolt, so a tip down wire clip is not impossible and I'm inclined to think FRCP is probably not any better than FRN, G-10, CF, and Micarta when it comes to screw retention.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User araneae's Avatar
    It's certainly taken longer than intended, but that is often the case. We'd prefer not to pull the trigger until we know it's as right as a new model can be. We had a time making the mold. The model is a co-polymer injection molded handle. The lock is the Native5 lock. 2.46 oz. 4 way clip. The model we're testing is S35VN.

sal
    That sounds excellent Sal, but any thoughts on the swedge? Thanks for the update.
    So many knives, so few pockets...
    -Nick
    Light Modding and Wharnifying when time permits

Just got:Lum Nishijin

The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User D1omedes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    The current FRN Native Lightweight weighs a bit more (2.65 oz) so, unless FRCP weighs significantly less than FRN, I think we can rule out steel liners. OTOH, I would not rule out a 4 way wire clip. The Des Horn mounts a wire clip on the pivot bolt, so a tip down wire clip is not impossible and I'm inclined to think FRCP is probably not any better than FRN, G-10, CF, and Micarta when it comes to screw retention.
    Thanks for the clarification, Deacon. There's still hope.

What are your thoughts on FRCP vs FRN?

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by D1omedes View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, Deacon. There's still hope.

What are your thoughts on FRCP vs FRN?
    Truthfully, at this point, I prefer FRN. Never beat on it hard enough to find out for sure, but FRCP just seems brittle to me. Manix 2 Lightweight makes a very disconcerting "crackling" sound if I squeeze the handle. May be nothing, but it just doesn't inspire confidence. Plus, while transparent handles may be helpful on a store display/demonstrator knife, outside of that I think they make a knife like a kid's toy.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User DJFrostbyte's Avatar
    I like FRN better, I think it is more wear resistant. A light weight FFG Native 5 could be the knife to beat the delica. About the same blade length, but with a forward finger choil like in the byrd meadowlark. Good weight and ergos... this could be great! I'd love to see some different colors offered, as long as one of them is blue!!!!
    Endura 4 FFG - Delica 4 FFG - Sage 3 - Dragonfly Salt - Forum Native - Manix 2 LW - Manix 2 G10 - Tenacious - Persistence - Ambitious - Byrd Meadowlark G10 - Cat - C13 Pro Grip - Delica C11PBK - Atlantic Salt - Navigator - Para 2 Camo - Delica C11PBLE - White Endura Sprint - Mule MT05P - Delica 4 FFG - Salsa - Native 5 Ti - UKPK - Sage 1 - Dragonfly G10

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    Considering the weight, most likely no liners. S35N and probably black handle will be the best for production model, but I really hope to see more colors and steels in sprints.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

What about the Native slip it? Any word on that?
    On the hunt for...

J had what must have been one of the first Natives ever made years ago. If memory serves me correctly it had frn handles S30v blade with swedge and I paid around $40 for it new.I liked the swedge because it looked really cool however since I've never had one with ffg I wouldn't trying one of those.

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar
    The lock is the Native5 lock. 2.46 oz. 4 way clip. The model we're testing is S35VN.

sal
    This sounds very promising. Basically taking my favorite elements of the Native 5 and Delica and combining them into one knife. Can't wait to see this one.

Spyderco Forum Registered User LC Kid's Avatar
    Hi Folks!

So we have:

- 2.46 Oz weight
    - Native 5 Lock
    - 4 Way Clip
    - Co-Polymer Injection Molded Handle (FRN Vs. FRCP)
    - S35V Steel Blade
    - Almost sure No Steel Liners. Ti Liners maybe?
    - And I guess it'll keep the Lanyard Hole, no inner tube.

What's not to like?
    Stay Sharp!

Spyderco Forum Registered User RadioactiveSpyder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathBySnooSnoo View Post
    What about the Native slip it? Any word on that?
    OMG, YES!! Please! The orange one whose pic made the rounds recently was beautiful!!!
    It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. Stephen King

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar

sal
    that is super exciting! i cant wait for some supersteel sprints in this model
    Top Picks: Chaparral 2, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Ladybug 3

-----Dreaming of: M4 Bird & Trout collaboration with Phil Wilson-----

-Spencer

What are you guyd talking about?Spyderco already makes a Native Lightweight.Are you talking about a lightweight version of the current lightweight?