Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Chinook Comback...maybe....please?

Spyderco Forum Registered User SkullBouncer's Avatar

CHINOOK'ED and HOOKED.

Hi again all --

I take particular interest in the thread thus far, as the topic is near and dear to my heart.

Sal and I first met years back in direct regard to the Chinook lines; this centered around one of the earliest makes of the Golden VG-10 test pieces -- I have since garnered three distinct VG-10 CHINOOK blades to date, two production line CHINOOK I pieces in CPM-440V; as well two CHINOOK II pieces in CPM-S30V.

There are many viewpoints expressed here that I agree with - and some not so much -- but I wanted to take this opp'y to thank you for all of them, and of course thank you all for your kindness and interest in my past threads regarding the CHINOOKs; this seems a good time to carry the Chinook topic forward somewhat.

First, I'd like to add to the thread with a bit of eye candy (disclaimer: I do not hold any pretense that I am a good photographer, professionally I'd fail and starve in short order, Ha!)

Well, lessee here...

=============================================
    The three pictured below to the left are VG-10, 3 of 23 made.

Other images include a Titanium / VG-10 Lum Chinese, and a Golden, CO T6 Aluminum Cased BLACKHAWK in GIN-1 SE for physical perspective.

I was surprised to learn that the Prototype CHINOOK test pieces were actually the original platform for SPYDERCO utilizing VG-10 steel. Still have the original letter signed by Sal to that affect...

As such it is understandable that this alloy was chosen for a new MBC knife proto crafted back then, in Golden, Colorado.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I've recently procured my seventh Chinook; this one a production near-mint incarnation of generation I in 440V, and is CE.

Many are turned off to CE, but I wish to point out that accompanying this change, there were associatively a few further refinements to the standing designs previous to that in these particular incarnations... including an improved tang cam design, incorporating a convex radial grind on the portion ramping up to full lock- up.

This follows likewise to my impressions of the Generation II pieces I have in S30V; the first is PE and I did not take to the architecture of its lock up very fondly -- lockup is soft with a rather anemic, light 'click' as compared to the evolved successor in CE -- like the 1st gen in CE, the lockups are of a definitively more dominating and impressively solid CLACK-- disengaging both locks in these examples are of hard and deep releases -- a must for the MBC aspects of the lock / spring relationships to the architectures of the cams as evolution continued.

Now, some declinations to state if you will -- Sal / Eric -- sorry, but I can't seem to get myself behind a reconstruction utilizing CBBL -- any new incarnations of the CHINOOK IMO should remain loyal to some of the beefiest lockback production folders ever in the industry.

I'm all for an evolution upward of the S30V alloy with more exotic steels to be in consideration of any new CHINOOK release as well; most of these have already been mentioned.

[btw -- to answer an earlier post query; the CHINOOK I did indeed see a release briefly prior to Gen II that was in CPM-S30V -- another rarity. She's one I've been on the hunt for also -- if that's what you've got, she's a Keeper!]
    ==============================================

I am no fan of the FFG CHINOOK III comparatively; I as well yearn for HG in any future reincarnation and I must as well take this opportunity to suggest that any new incarnations of the lauded and venerable CHINOOK Family Legacy be staunchly worthy of joining those I've imaged and featured here, and over time on the forums.

Well, might check back in as I come up with any additional input and potential editing to include more details. I could discuss this topic at length more in depth, but for now, Ciao Friends.

===============================================

Stay Sharp --
    -- SB / BRUCE
    Last edited by SkullBouncer; 08-31-2013 at 09:46 PM. Reason: img edit

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    ^^one of the best posts I have ever read here

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    I also won't buy a chinook 4 that's been given the manix 2 treatment...

Quote Originally Posted by KBar666 View Post

SO I was not trying to come off all high and mighty just cause some other people agree. I can see how that's how it looked, but that was not how I intended it to be interrupted, sometimes communicating over the internet can miss a mark or two here or there.
    Ok.
    I always heard that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but then you catch even more flies with poop

http://sharpthings.net/chat

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    If they make a sprint chinook, it would be nice for it to have a "tough" steel. 3V maybe? Or Cruwear?
    cruwear would be pretty epic!
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

I also won't buy a chinook 4 that's been given the manix 2 treatment...

Ok.
    Yep, no hard feelings I hope.

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KBar666 View Post
    Yep, no hard feelings I hope.
    Hardly any...
    I always heard that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but then you catch even more flies with poop

http://sharpthings.net/chat

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

Hardly any...
    some of Chucks' feelings have been RC'd at 63.5 (+/- 1)...

Spyderco Forum Registered User Greg Walker's Avatar
    Agree. The 1st GEN locking system was sound and necessary. If it doesn't "CLACK!" send it BACK!
    Greg Walker (Retired)
    United States Army Special Forces

"No Fallen Comrade Left Behind"