Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinook Comback...maybe....please?

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Chinook Comback...maybe....please?

Any Chance of a comeback of the Chinook? perhaps?

Any one else interested like I am? Obviously there has to be interest for Spyderco to bother.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Popsickle's Avatar
    im pretty sure they have mentioned before that another Chinook could be in the works

I'd be in for a couple. PReferably bringing back the hollow grind as well. That FFG doesn't look near as good as the hollow

They said something about working with James Keating again but i don't know if it'll be a chinook 4 or something new. I wish they could do a sprint of the original with S30V or better. I really like that shape and i can't seem to find one at a price i would use it at.

I think the shape all of it is very good good...I know its a modified Bowie officially, but its extreme modification makes it share properties with a Persian style blade....which make it really good at certain things....

I want one bad. And really wish they would just do more of them.

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KBar666 View Post
    I think the shape all of it is very good good...I know its a modified Bowie officially, but its extreme modification makes it share properties with a Persian style blade....which make it really good at certain things....

I want one bad. And really wish they would just do more of them.

Could you elaborate? I have 3 chinook 3's which I originally got for a dedicated SD knife. I tried carrying it an using it for EDC but I find that effective edge length is really reduced on an exagerated trailing point.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VashHash View Post
    They said something about working with James Keating again but i don't know if it'll be a chinook 4 or something new. I wish they could do a sprint of the original with S30V or better. I really like that shape and i can't seem to find one at a price i would use it at.
    With all the interest these days in overbuilt hard-use folders, I have a hunch that a re-run of the Chinook I would sell quite well.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderNut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Invective View Post
    I'd be in for a couple. Preferably bringing back the hollow grind as well. That FFG doesn't look near as good as the hollow
    +100

Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    With all the interest these days in overbuilt hard-use folders, I have a hunch that a re-run of the Chinook I would sell quite well.
    Amen to that, Paul. Unfortunately, it seems that models such as the Chinook aren't truly appreciated until after they've been discontinued for a few years. Lord knows I've kicked myself a hundred times for not picking up the hollow-ground variation when I had the chance.
    Michael

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Yeah deacon i agree with that but i just find the ergos are great for my hands. I love my chinook 2 it's such a great work knife. They are very overbuilt but sometimes I like a knife with a little "thump" to it. i just prefer the lines of the original as far as appearance goes. Wish they would make a chinook szabo sized. Keep the backlock or they can use compression i wouldn't care either way. Of course this is one folder that doesn't need a boye dent that's for sure.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    The Chinook II and III were fine knives in their own right. However, like the Manix 2 models, they were just pale reflections of their ancestor.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

The Chinook II and III were fine knives in their own right. However, like the Manix 2 models, they were just pale reflections of their ancestor.
    Spoken for truth.

I would be in, but would dream of a new Lil' Temp as a first choice. Chinook I that is, and Lil' Temp with a better (wire) clip

Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    Could you elaborate? I have 3 chinook 3's which I originally got for a dedicated SD knife. I tried carrying it an using it for EDC but I find that effective edge length is really reduced on an exagerated trailing point.
    It makes it a very good slasher as well as Penetration. At least when talking Persian style blades....they are very effective at such, specially when the bad guy sometimes has Kevlar.

That said I'm aware the Chinook is not exactly a Persian style knife. But it seems close. SO in theory should preform similarly anyhow.

The Emerson Persian is one of my top choices for a knife for combative use, with the Benchmade Bedlam a pretty close second ....I know of others that will agree. I have not tried Cold Steels talwars yet.

However in any event a Spyderco to me would definitely beat out Benchmade and Cold Steel to me. And the Chinook looks like a great blade for that use.

In a fighting manner if needed. Self defense/offense whatever you wanna call it.

ANd the Chinook is already there, or was...so would simply like to see it comeback. Yes I'm aware that Spyderco Has its own Persian. But overall I just feel the Chinook would still be better suited.

That said I'm not saying that Persian style blades are the only way to go, hell no. I'm not looking to argue, I have many many different knives and blade styles.

I'm simply elaborating as asked. So I really hope it dosn;t turn into some kind of debate here.

Oh also I simply like the Chinook and want it to comeback cause I think its a great looking blade and functional SD knife either way.

Spyderco Forum Registered User LC Kid's Avatar
    Hi Folks!

Some Real Wisdom!
    Stay Sharp!

It makes it a very good slasher as well as Penetration. At least when talking Persian style blades....they are very effective at such, specially when the bad guy sometimes has Kevlar.
    Hasn't been my experience with the chinook 3 with the cutting dummy tests I did. Dr. Snubnose says the chinook 1 and 2 do much better so it's probably not a characteristic of trailing points. I've also marked with sharpie the edge and did some pressure cutting tests on the chinook 3 and it seems that effective edge length is only around 2 inches.

The emerson has a straighter belly as do the chinook 1 and 2.

I'm simply elaborating as asked. So I really hope it dosn;t turn into some kind of debate here.
    No debate here, just a discussion of a statement you made.

That said I'm aware the Chinook is not exactly a Persian style knife. But it seems close. SO in theory should preform similarly anyhow.

The Emerson Persian is one of my top choices for a knife for combative use, with the Benchmade Bedlam a pretty close second ....I know of others that will agree. I have not tried Cold Steels talwars yet.

However in any event a Spyderco to me would definitely beat out Benchmade and Cold Steel to me. And the Chinook looks like a great blade for that use.

In a fighting manner if needed. Self defense/offense whatever you wanna call it.

ANd the Chinook is already there, or was...so would simply like to see it comeback. Yes I'm aware that Spyderco Has its own Persian. But overall I just feel the Chinook would still be better suited.

That said I'm not saying that Persian style blades are the only way to go, hell no. I'm not looking to argue, I have many many different knives and blade styles.

Oh also I simply like the Chinook and want it to comeback cause I think its a great looking blade and functional SD knife either way.
    I have a custom Persian made with extended length and exaggerated trailing point which I'd go out on a limb and say that's what chucks point was.
    In that the slashing effectiveness with this style is concentrated by engaging the belly from a sweeping arc/curve motion onto the belly.
    But it isn't as such a Persian though when you get into Persian blades there are so many variations its hard to make a definition IMO .
    And don't forget the history of this blade extends between the Greeks , the 'Persians ' and the areas beyond the Persian/indian border into north India which Alexander the Great conquered.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladekeeper View Post
    I have a custom Persian made with extended length and exaggerated trailing point which I'd go out on a limb and say that's what chucks point was.
    In that the slashing effectiveness with this style is concentrated by engaging the belly from a sweeping arc/curve motion onto the belly.
    But it isn't as such a Persian though when you get into Persian blades there are so many variations its hard to make a definition IMO .
    And don't forget the history of this blade extends between the Greeks , the 'Persians ' and the areas beyond the Persian/indian border into north India which Alexander the Great conquered.
    Spot on BK.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Per-Sev's Avatar
    Do you find that with such a upswept blade like the Chinook 3 that it will slide out of the cut more so than a blade like the Military that might keep the tip in longer for a better slashing cut. I don't own either blade so just curious what the experts think.
    I Have A High Art: I Hurt With Cruelty Those Who Wound Me. Archilochus 650 BC.

Quote Originally Posted by Per-Sev View Post
    Do you find that with such a upswept blade like the Chinook 3 that it will slide out of the cut more so than a blade like the Military that might keep the tip in longer for a better slashing cut. I don't own either blade so just curious what the experts think.
    Not an expert by all means, but yes, that's what happens. I do find the wharnie performs exceptionally in my unscientific "cutting dummy" tests. The edge of trailing tip(especially one that sweeps up at almost 90 degrees to the edge), seems to let up the pressure on the cut.

I think the idea was that since a slash is in a radius, that a trailing point would keep presenting an edge to the material.

I'd be in. There was talk about this a while back. Maybe Sal has an update?

I'd really like to see it with a beefy compression lock. I'd pick up at least a couple.