Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know the hardness of Native 5 Forum CPM S110v ?

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Does anyone know the hardness of Native 5 Forum CPM S110v ?

I can't find any documentation listing the hardness rating for the Native 5 2013 forum knife's CPM S110V. Does anyone know what it is? I was just wondering. Mine is inbound as I type this...
    Sal and company are working some kind of magic here. I feel like a little kid impatiently waiting for his new toy!
    Spyderco: new knives, improvements on the existing models, new steels, listening to their customers, what a concept!?!? This is Americia at its best!

Thanks to you, Sal, and the rest of your team

Inbound? Did you get one of the scragglers from Spyderco or something on the open market.

I was on the waiting list for the scragglers but had an change in financial situation. I did not think there was much chance that I would get one but I got an email from Spyderco that there was one reserved for me if I wanted it. I very reluctantly had to pass. I've posted messages about the scalpers that order a knife, claim that they can't afford it and sell it for twice what they paid. I could have done that in this case but I didn't. I emailed Spyderco and politely declined, asking them to pass the knife on to the next person on the waiting list. I hope it goes to a true enthusiast that can really enjoy it.

Yes I ordered one as I got that same email. Just pure luck on my part. I am new to Spyderco and this will be my third Spyder in about three weeks. I have a small collection of knives mostly common ones. I carried a Gerder LST for years and years. In fact I still have it. I picked up a 940 Osborne and later a 950 Rift also an Osborne.
    Just recently I came across a couple of You Tube videos about these weird looking knives. Well I have an open mind to new and weird things and these knives started to make sense. I got a Sage 1 and now I am hooked. Now the 940 looks a little strange but the Rift is still makes sense.
    I still would like to know what the hardness of Spydercos's S110v used on the Native 5.

Bdblue,
    Hope your luck changes and you can get the next forum knife that is offered. I hear there is a special place in Hell for pathogenic scalpers. But who am I to judge.
    peace...

Hey Sharpdressed man, congrats on picking up a forum native, I too am awaiting mine to arrive.

As for the hardness, it is not published, as explained here -

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showt...light=rockwell

But rest assured it will be hard enough

Not published but Sal sometimes responds to an RC request as he did recently with the k390 Mule.

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    I tested mine and found Rc 61. Keep in the mind that accuracy of the tester is +/-1.
    I called this knife cardboard box killer. I have no experience with S90V, but the edge on the forum native is going much, much longer that S35N.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

Quote Originally Posted by bh49 View Post
    I called this knife cardboard box killer. I have no experience with S90V, but the edge on the forum native is going much, much longer that S35N.
    How dull do the knives get before you sharpen, shaving or ripping the cardboard or inbetween? Is it close to 2:1 or larger/smaller? Edge angle/finish ?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Ankerson's Avatar
    I tested mine and found Rc 61. Keep in the mind that accuracy of the tester is +/-1.
    It should due to S110V having 3X the Vanadium content that S35VN does, and that's not even going into the other alloys.

It is noteworthy that from the testing that I did I didn't notice very much edge damage so it would seem Spyderco picked a good range for S110V.

Although S110V isn't very chippy anyway from my experiences with it over the years in different knives at various hardness ranges.

Edge was still very clean after the testing, rope, cardboard and wood.

Last edited by Ankerson; 08-19-2013 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ankerson View Post
    Which Spyderco knives actually have shown visible chipping on that work in that profile?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Ankerson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Stamp View Post
    Which Spyderco knives actually have shown visible chipping on that work in that profile?
    None of them that I can remember, seen some rolling here and there (Shiny spots), they do a lot of R&D before they choose what range the steel will be in before release.

There will always be some sort of edge wear though in that type of testing, it will vary depending on the knives tested, but then they are pushed a lot harder than most people will ever do in normal or even harder use. And that's by design of the method that I use in my testing format.

But....

I always reprofile the blades to 15 DPS and remove enough steel to get down to good steel before testing, refreshing the edge.... I don't test with factory edges in this format...

I do believe most of the issues people see are from using the factory edges on the knives..... I am a firm believer that knives really need to be sharpened before they are used no matter how good the factory edge might be or what company made them.
    Last edited by Ankerson; 08-19-2013 at 09:59 AM.

How dull do the knives get before you sharpen, shaving or ripping the cardboard or in between? Is it close to 2:1 or larger/smaller? Edge angle/finish ?
    Usually I sharpen to 30 degrees with 40 microbevel. I finishing the edge at sharpmaker mediums and blades can shave. I resharpen when I notice that the knife cannot slice magazine paper. Forum Native was used with factory edge. I broke down many more boxes at home and at work than I usually do and the knife still slicing paper without tearing. This was not a test, just impressions.
    Hardness test was a test on calibrated tester.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    Usually I sharpen to 30 degrees with 40 microbevel. I finishing the edge at sharpmaker mediums and blades can shave. I resharpen when I notice that the knife cannot slice magazine paper. Forum Native was used with factory edge. I broke down many more boxes at home and at work than I usually do and the knife still slicing paper without tearing. This was not a test, just impressions.
    Hardness test was a test on calibrated tester.
    Placebo effect.
    I always heard that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but then you catch even more flies with poop

http://sharpthings.net/chat

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

Usually I sharpen to 30 degrees with 40 microbevel. I finishing the edge at sharpmaker mediums and blades can shave. I resharpen when I notice that the knife cannot slice magazine paper.
    Thanks for the details, at that angle and with that finish/stopping point you are likely in the 2:1 range for cardboard and similar abrasive material cutting. Now cardboard varies a lot, 10:1 isn't unusual so you would want to look at a few instances, but I would be curious how you would compare them after extended use. Do you notice any difference in sharpening time?

Do you notice any difference in sharpening time?
    Cliff,
    I didn't sharpen forum native yet. Planning to put microbevel with sharpmaker, when I need. Also curious how S110V will feels scraping rods. If I will not be able to do this, I will reprofile the knife on WE.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    Placebo effect.
    Claiming temporary insanity
    George Orwell

Cliff,
    If I will not be able to do this, I will reprofile the knife on WE.
    Do you have those extreme sub-micron strops? I am curious if they actually do anything functionally.

Sorry, I don't. I have only stones up to 1000 grit.
    George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Ankerson View Post
    It should due to S110V having 3X the Vanadium content that S35VN does, and that's not even going into the other alloys.

It is noteworthy that from the testing that I did I didn't notice very much edge damage so it would seem Spyderco picked a good range for S110V.

Although S110V isn't very chippy anyway from my experiences with it over the years in different knives at various hardness ranges.

Wish I could get free knives so I could test (abuse) them.
    Not hating...just saying.

I'll be using one of mine soon in "real" world experience. But, unfortunately I wouldn't be able to give any indication of the rc. Only could tell you wether or not if it's any good.

I was trying to read up on all this blade science and metalergy and came across the paper on knife blade science. I haven't read this yet. It might be interesting or it might be a waste of time, but I though I would share.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/downloads...nifeshexps.pdf

Some of you have probably read this but some may find it educational.
    Tack care