Thread: Sharpening a Military

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Sharpening a Military

Was sharpening my new Military with my Sharpmaker last night. I know I was pressing too hard, because I was in a hurry, but it seemed to be rolling the edge really bad. I was using the 40 degree section of the Sharpmaker, should I have just used the 30 degree section?

I've been using only the 40 degree section to sharpen my former EDC knife, a SERE 2000, but it comes with a 40 degree edge.

I'm starting to think that the Military comes with a 30 degree edge?

If you are pressing hard at an angle above the bevel set angle it is very likely the edge will deform on the sharpmaker rods. It is unlikely the edge is exactly at 15 dps, however they can be under 20 dps frequently. I have even seen them under 15 dps on occasion.

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar
    The Militaries and Para-militaries that I've had have usually come with an edge that's a little more than 30 and less than 40. A few passes on the sharpmaker at 20dps should give you a 40 micro-bevel that is plenty sharp.

OK I get it now, I think: The angle is about 30 degrees, and when I sharpened it at 20 degrees it was only removing material from the very edge?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    Make sure you take your time with a knife that's new to the sharpener, or if the sharpener is new to you. Take a sharpie and color the edge so you can actually see where you're hitting the stones, then adjust your angle accordingly.
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Yep, the sharpy trick works wonders
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewSB View Post
    OK I get it now, I think: The angle is about 30 degrees, and when I sharpened it at 20 degrees it was only removing material from the very edge?
    basically, this is how many people touch up their knives, as it takes little work to hone the very edge.

Thanks for the help guys, I got it! Both my Military and my Para2 now have great edges again, and I was able to clean up most of the machining marks that the knives came with.