Thread: H1 Sharpening

Spyderco Forum Registered User

H1 Sharpening

I am looking for the best edge on a PE H1. I have a standard Sharpmaker (with brown and white stones)... would a rougher edge (softer steel) be better or should I stick with the white stones.

anyone??? help??

Spyderco Forum Registered User 3rdGenRigger's Avatar
    I sharpen my H1 Ladybug on my Sharpmaker using both sets of stones and I get good results.
    Ladybug (Salt/SuperBlue/White SE), Native (FRN), Dragonfly (Salt/Orange/SuperBlue/G10), Lava (Blue), Ulize, Byrdwrench
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam/Green), Jester (Grey), Caly3/3.5 (CF), Domino (Blue), Stretch (SuperBlue), Spyderwrench
    Schempp Tuff, Goddard OD, Mule (K390), Manix2 (CruWear), Sage 3 (CF), Vallotton, Techno, Spin (Blue Nishijin)
    2013 Forum Native, Delica 4 (Damascus), Chokwe, Swick 3, Battlestation, Military (CruWear), Ti Salsa

-> Branden

Spyderco Forum Registered User 3f8's Avatar
    I see no reason not to sharpen right to a polished edge, or at least UF stones. If you feel hardness is a problem look to edge angle. Something less acute. The boutique steels can support crazy angles. They my not be good H1. I use 30' 40' micro bevel. It works.

Spyderco Forum Registered User ChapmanPreferred's Avatar
    In my opinion it depends on how you plan to use the knife. With your setup, I would back bevel at 30' and then maintain a "big" micro bevel at 40' for a general EDC blade that I would carry and use often.
    SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
    Work EDC List
    FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
    FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
    BRP: CF Military S90V
    BLP: Forum S110V Native

H1 like any grit edge you give it. It's takes a Very high polish with a hair wittling edge down to and 220 grit edge.

What are you cutting, and how are you cutting it - straight push, or more of a slice/draw cut.

i almost never push cut anything i am just wondering if i leave a rougher edge will it hold longer? are there any carbides that effect performance in H1

If you are slicing abrasive material then yes, generally a lower grit finish will have longer edge retention. H1 has only a very small amount of carbon and part of it would be in the steel itself, I would not expect a large carbide volume and it certainly doesn't behave like it in sharpening or how it wears.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Tabo's Avatar
    Depending on use, I usually sharpen my dragonfly salt once every two weeks using the 40' and ultra fine rods. Doesn't take much time and found it works best for me.