Thread: Sharpmaker 203MF question

Spyderco Forum Registered User enyong112's Avatar

Sharpmaker 203MF question

What are the sharpening angles of this sharpmaker? Do they have multiple angle settings?
    TIA
    Cool as Ice... Clear like Water...

Spyderco Forum Registered User rycen's Avatar
    Only one angle set at 40
    We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by enyong112 View Post
    What are the sharpening angles of this sharpmaker? Do they have multiple angle settings?
    TIA
    They have two sets of slots: 20 degrees per side and 15 degrees per side.

Spyderco Forum Registered User enyong112's Avatar
    basically the same as the 204 right?
    Cool as Ice... Clear like Water...

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    The 203 only has one angle setting.

Ive ordered a 204 and want some after market triangler rods.......................
    What is the width of the rods ..............is it 1/2 in. ???
    Steel Snob M-4

Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    Ive ordered a 204 and want some after market triangler rods.......................
    What is the width of the rods ..............is it 1/2 in. ???
    Yep and I think there are some "Ruby" ones out that are available in low grits like 80 to 320, in case you have to reprofile the edge that fit the Sharpmaker. I dont recall who makes them or how much there are but have heard pretty good things about them.

Thanks for the response ............ there at Congress Tool , Iam gettin Moldmaster stones for it.
    Talk on these forums say there good ones to use ...........so are the Rubys they say.
    Iam just starting out.
    Steel Snob M-4

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    Congress stones work well - but I wouldn't buy the triangular ones. I've had trouble with them fitting in the base properly. As an alternate, I would advise getting the 1/8"x6"x1" stones and clipping them to your sharpmaker rods - a binder clip works well. It is a little bit of a kluge, but I only use the coarse Moldmasters for re-profiling and damage repair. For higher grits, I use the sharpmaker rods (or drag out the WEPS rig).

TedP

Quote Originally Posted by phillipsted View Post
    Congress stones work well - but I wouldn't buy the triangular ones. I've had trouble with them fitting in the base properly. As an alternate, I would advise getting the 1/8"x6"x1" stones and clipping them to your sharpmaker rods - a binder clip works well. It is a little bit of a kluge, but I only use the coarse Moldmasters for re-profiling and damage repair. For higher grits, I use the sharpmaker rods (or drag out the WEPS rig).

TedP
    So are the Moldmaker's better than the Congress ones? What grit Moldmaker's would you use/buy for reprofiling clamped on the Sharpmaker?

Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by sir_mike View Post
    So are the Moldmaker's better than the Congress ones? What grit Moldmaker's would you use/buy for reprofiling clamped on the Sharpmaker?

Thx.
    Mike, the Moldmaker stones are one of the product lines from Congress Tools. The Ruby stones are one of their other product lines. They have a dozen different lines - and each product is optimized for different purposes.

I like the Moldmakers because they are fairly aggressive, but leave a clean scratch pattern and don't require the use of oil or water. They are also fairly hard and do not require frequent flattening. If you are going to be using them just for reprofiling, then get the lowest two grits and you should be fine. But they are so inexpensive ($4-$5 ea) that you could also get a mixture of them and see which ones you like the best!

TedP

I think the correct name is "Moldmaster"... lol

for use in the "SharpMAKER"

(just to avoid further confusion... )

Mike, the Moldmaker stones are one of the product lines from Congress Tools. The Ruby stones are one of their other product lines. They have a dozen different lines - and each product is optimized for different purposes.

I like the Moldmakers because they are fairly aggressive, but leave a clean scratch pattern and don't require the use of oil or water. They are also fairly hard and do not require frequent flattening. If you are going to be using them just for reprofiling, then get the lowest two grits and you should be fine. But they are so inexpensive ($4-$5 ea) that you could also get a mixture of them and see which ones you like the best!

TedP
    I will give them a look. I like the idea of flat ones that I can just rubberband or clip the the Sharpmaker. Do you know what size the Lansky rods are and if they sell a set of that size in rounds to fit there 4 rod system? I have a Lansky 4 rod that I just picked up and wanted to try that one....cause it was cheap, I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by mattman View Post

I guess that is what you get when you cross the Moldmaster with a Sharpmaker = Moldmaker or perhaps the Sharpmaster! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mattman View Post

I need to finish my coffee before diving into the Forum after lunch...

TedMaster

I need to finish my coffee before diving into the Forum after lunch...

TedMaster
    I was getting a good laugh out of it...

it reminded me of the thread recently where the poster was calling it the "Sharpmaster"

(Words to live by: no posting before coffee! I agree.. )

MattMaker 8)