Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Halpern Titanium Mule Team Handle Information

Spyderco Forum Registered User Ankerson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dgebler View Post
    Attachment 22444

Just put on my natural G-10 option 4 scales and they look awesome.
    Stopped by the house at lunch to put them on and have a fresh tomato.
    Nice.

Can't wait to get my Black Option 5 scales, ordered 2 sets, haven't heard anything yet though. already paid also back on the 27th.....

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I emailed asking about cheaper shipping to canada. No reply so far, and that was a week ago!
    On the hunt for...

Attachment 22444

Congrats on the nice scales. They sure look great.

But isn't K390 non-stainless? Did cutting the tomato have any effect on the blade? (I am wondering whether I should try out K390 in the kitchen environment.) Thanks.

Spyderco Forum Registered User dgebler's Avatar
    I really did not let the knife sit long and washed and oiled it right away. still it looks just a little cloudy. i plan to keep using this one and keep it oiled. i will post pics if it gets a nice patina.

Attachment 22444

Great shot. The natural is very appealing. I'm trying to wait another day or two to help give them a chance to get caught up. In the mean time, I keep waffling between natural, coyote, ranger green, and maybe gray. I'm also thinking of grabbing a pair of the option 5 OD scales, just to see what they look like.

Is anyone oiling these? If so, what do you use, mineral oil?
    MY SPYDIE LIST (on profile page)
    Want List: New Stretch prototype Coyote G-10 slab/ZDP test sprint!

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DougC-3 View Post
    Great shot. The natural is very appealing. I'm trying to wait another day or two to help give them a chance to get caught up. In the mean time, I keep waffling between natural, coyote, ranger green, and maybe gray. I'm also thinking of grabbing a pair of the option 5 OD scales, just to see what they look like.

Is anyone oiling these? If so, what do you use, mineral oil?
    It really doesn't matter. You could wipe them in motor oil or wd-40. Once they are covered, you can wash with dish detergent and they still will have the rich color they did with the oil.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    It really doesn't matter. You could wipe them in motor oil or wd-40. Once they are covered, you can wash with dish detergent and they still will have the rich color they did with the oil.
    Speaking of oiling G-10, are Spyderco G-10 scales oiled in production? Do people oil them after they get them? (I've only heard of it in conjunction with aftermarket scales.)

I got called yesterday for credit card information. She said that the recent batch of orders were shipping out.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Chopping Broccoli's Avatar
    My order arrived yesterday. I am impressed with the scales. I have installed a pair of Blue and Earth Brown on my K390 mules. They look great. I'll try to get some pictures posted later.

Only issue I had is the 3rd pair of scales I ordered was the Ranger Green. They got the color right but sent me the wrong type. I requested the thin versions of all three scales. Oh well. I can now try out the other option as well. Not the biggest fan of the Ranger Green color but the blue and brown are pretty sharp looking. Particularly the earth brown.

Overall, if I get any more mule's, I will likely order some more scales from Halpern.
    Current Spydies....
    Captain
    Persian
    Chinook 3
    Manix 2
    Stretch (Black CE and Blue ZDP)
    Military (orange, brown, and CF)
    Para Military 1 (black) (My EDC)
    Para Military 2 (grey, orange, brown, blue, green)
    Khukuri
    Sage 1, 2, 3, & 4
    Dodo
    Chokwe
    Gayle Bradley
    Caly 3.5 Super Blue
    UKPK
    Urban (Wharncliffe and Leaf)
    Progrip
    Endura (white, orange, and G10)
    Delica x6
    Dragonfly x2
    Ladybug x4
    Perrin Street Bowie
    Super Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Chopping Broccoli View Post
    My order arrived yesterday. I am impressed with the scales. I have installed a pair of Blue and Earth Brown on my K390 mules. They look great. I'll try to get some pictures posted later.

Only issue I had is the 3rd pair of scales I ordered was the Ranger Green. They got the color right but sent me the wrong type. I requested the thin versions of all three scales. Oh well. I can now try out the other option as well. Not the biggest fan of the Ranger Green color but the blue and brown are pretty sharp looking. Particularly the earth brown.

Overall, if I get any more mule's, I will likely order some more scales from Halpern.
    Definitely try a coating of oil on the ranger green, I bet it will darken it up nicely for you.

Just got a call from Halpern Titanium to verify my order and get payment method, and address and they said the order will be out as soon as they have finished up with the other confirmations! Looking forward to them, they were quite a lot cheaper than I expected as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Chopping Broccoli View Post

Pics would be nice if you get a chance, including the Ranger Green after and/or before oil I'm trying to get a "handle" on how it compares to old fashion OD and foliage green (if not convenient please disregard, of course). I saw the one posted by Chris, but the color appears a little different from other pics I've seen.

Scales arrived this afternoon. Here's the plain vanilla black ones (thin) with the ebony scales I'm working on now.

Quote Originally Posted by DougC-3 View Post
    Pics would be nice if you get a chance, including the Ranger Green after and/or before oil I'm trying to get a "handle" on how it compares to old fashion OD and foliage green (if not convenient please disregard, of course). I saw the one posted by Chris, but the color appears a little different from other pics I've seen.
    There was a blog post I remember reading that had before and after pics of at least one of the colors with the oil treatment. Ok here it is Scales Review Blog. Below are a couple pics from that blog post showing the before/after of the oil treatment on the orange...

Before:

After:

Hope that helps some.

Quote Originally Posted by salimoneus View Post
    There was a blog post I remember reading that had before and after pics of at least one of the colors with the oil treatment. Ok here it is Scales Review Blog. Below are a couple pics from that blog post showing the before/after of the oil treatment on the orange...

Before:

After:

Hope that helps some.
    Thanks for the pics. The oil really makes a difference!

Salimoneous, your pictures are remarkable. Can plain mineral oil achieve the same result, do you need special oils? Also, do you need to immerse the handle in the oils for a certain time for the oils to be absorbed? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewSB View Post
    I got called yesterday for credit card information. She said that the recent batch of orders were shipping out.
    I have been trying to order since 7/26 not having much luck. We will see maybe monday?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Ankerson's Avatar
    Got mine today, they fit great.

Got mine, fit is perfect. It's very slightly undersized, but only a few thousands of an inch so it doesn't hang over the edge anywhere. No sharp corners or anything.

This thin knife, with the "number 5" thin grips, is extremly nice in the hand.

Quote Originally Posted by bchan View Post
    Salimoneous, your pictures are remarkable. Can plain mineral oil achieve the same result, do you need special oils? Also, do you need to immerse the handle in the oils for a certain time for the oils to be absorbed? Thanks.
    Those weren't my pics actually, they were from the blog post I linked.

Don't recall what kind of oil he used (it's probably in that blog somewhere) but if being used as a kitchen knife I would opt for a food grade oil. Mineral oil should do the trick just fine.