Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinel knives

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I gave one a shot, sanded it down, rounded the end some, filed some finger grooves and did some burning then I dyed it with RIT dye and sprayed it with clear coat. The blade was done with the brown dye then stuck it in an orange for 20 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by noseoil View Post
    Both #8's arrived today (one SS & one Carbon). Both are just the bass wood handles. They certainly aren't sharp when compared to a new Spyderco blade. First thing I did was sharpen both to about 15 degrees and then polish them up a bit with a fine stone. On one of them the ring is silky smooth, the other is very tight and difficult to turn. No complaints when you figure what they cost and the "quality control" involved after watching their production processing at the factory. Still, I do like the design and I'm going to see how they hold up to a bit of use. Should be much easier to sharpen, now that they have actual edges to work with. The cutting edge from the factory comes nowhere near the point, not even to the radius. They're both nice and sharp now, so we'll see how they do. I do enjoy the simplicity of design and their numbering system is easy enough to understand.
    Sounds like you got unlucky they have a reputation of being razor with factory edge ?.
    The one I recently got a was as sharp as my Tenacious,s and other spydercos .
    The guy I gave it to then honed it even more and called it Evil sharp and he owns some serious knives , but part of the fun for the cost .
    The Carbone do need care the shop I brought mine from rare here to have a bricks and mortar store had a load .
    All had slight surface rust in the nick which I got out easily with some sandpaper .
    Once you've done some touching up I'm sure you will be impressed , my rotoblock isn't smooth but I don't think they are supposed to be .
    As the effort needed to twist it gives the bloc its strength when locked in they have a new modern model ill link if I can find .
    Mods this is spydercos official uk retailer so I hope you don't mind the link if you do then please accept my apologies .
    http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Opinel...p-92-469-8993/
    Last edited by Bladekeeper; 07-24-2013 at 09:32 PM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    Thanks Ken. Actually it is red mahogany. I thought about it and thought about it and after much heartache I decided on this. One reason was it's the only thing in the house. We got it to hide the damage after Sawyer (wife's dog) got done with the dinning room table and chair legs.
    I feel you. Our 11 pound Havanese chewed up (almost THROUGH ) a solid oak bathroom door.

My opinel will match better than any other silverware when we eat at that table. You know, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
    10 additional points for style.

Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    P.S. on a side note it is rather bold (and comical) that they know their typical customer is ignorant of the nature of carbon steel blades. Sadly, most people are more knife neglecters than users.
    I guess but I hate things that play to the least common denominator rather than striving for the exceptional. It's killing our species!

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User araneae's Avatar
    I will have to get some pics up of my collection of opis. I have quite a few now. My most carried knife aside from Spyderco. I prefer a no. 6 for pocket carry. The bubinga is probably my fav, but I also love olivewood. All amazing knives for the low price and the true definition of a slicer.
    So many knives, so few pockets...
    -Nick
    Light Modding and Wharnifying when time permits

Just got: Superblue D'fly

The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal

<SIGH> I feel your pain. I wonder how hard it is to get that locking ring off in a safe (reusable) manner? If anyone figures this out, we are in business!

P.S. on a side note it is rather bold (and comical) that they know their typical customer is ignorant of the nature of carbon steel blades. Sadly, most people are more knife neglecters than users.
    The locking ring can be removed rather easily with a pair of needle nose pliers inserted into the gap and then opened to stretch the ring. You can also use a clothes pin to do the same. I have taken the ring off of some models many times, probably over a dozen times with no ill effect.
    -Nick

I'm curious about the locking ring on my SS version of the #8 I got yesterday. It is very stiff to turn, not at all like the other #8 in carbon. Any ideas about softening up the friction on a lock ring? I'm thinking I should use the needle nose trick to see if there's some type of burr inside the ring. Thanks in advance...

Spyderco Forum Registered User einstein2001's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by araneae View Post
    The locking ring can be removed rather easily with a pair of needle nose pliers inserted into the gap and then opened to stretch the ring. You can also use a clothes pin to do the same. I have taken the ring off of some models many times, probably over a dozen times with no ill effect.
    Forcing the blade open while the ring is locked is how I do it. Just don't point it at your eye.
    Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
    Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
    Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
    ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly

-Brandon

I took both rings off last night and one seems to be heavier than the other (?). Will have to put a caliper on them to see if one is made out of thicker material stock. This would explain the difference, but I'll need to go into the shop to do the measurements. More later.....

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by araneae View Post
    I'm curious about the locking ring on my SS version of the #8 I got yesterday. It is very stiff to turn, not at all like the other #8 in carbon. Any ideas about softening up the friction on a lock ring? I'm thinking I should use the needle nose trick to see if there's some type of burr inside the ring. Thanks in advance...
    Quote Originally Posted by einstein2001 View Post
    Forcing the blade open while the ring is locked is how I do it. Just don't point it at your eye.
    I took both rings off last night and one seems to be heavier than the other (?). Will have to put a caliper on them to see if one is made out of thicker material stock. This would explain the difference, but I'll need to go into the shop to do the measurements. More later.....
    Do you guys get the locking rings back on so they are usable? If so that is valuable info I think. Seems to me you could replace the entire handle if you could re-pin the pivot. Then getting the locking ring back on at the right tension would be hit and miss it seems to me. Mostly miss in my case I'm sure. I would need to get real lucky to get it bent back into shape enough to "snap" back on at the right tension. Since no one has talked about that I assume the rings are staying off your knives. Yes? No?

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Do you guys get the locking rings back on so they are usable? If so that is valuable info I think. Seems to me you could replace the entire handle if you could re-pin the pivot. Then getting the locking ring back on at the right tension would be hit and miss it seems to me. Mostly miss in my case I'm sure. I would need to get real lucky to get it bent back into shape enough to "snap" back on at the right tension. Since no one has talked about that I assume the rings are staying off your knives. Yes? No?
    Jack hit the nail on the head. This was my thought all along..... IF the locking right could be put back on correctly. Maybe squeeze it back to regular size and try to press it onto the end. It will expand only enough to clear the pin right? This would allow G-10, wood, bone, other handles to be made and replace the plain factory ones.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Jack hit the nail on the head.
    I usually hit my thumb.

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

I usually hit my thumb.
    You just need a bigger hammer perhaps.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User einstein2001's Avatar
    I have removed and reattached the ring on my opinel many times without any problems. To remove I force the blade open while the ring is locked closed. It takes a little force but works every time. Just watch where the ring goes because it will shoot off. The difficult part for me was removing the blade pin because it was a little bent. To reattach the ring just set it on the bench and slam the pivot end back in. The ring collar is very springy and I've had no problems with it deforming.
    Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
    Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
    Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
    ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly

-Brandon

I have removed and reattached the ring on my opinel many times without any problems. To remove I force the blade open while the ring is locked closed. It takes a little force but works every time. Just watch where the ring goes because it will shoot off. The difficult part for me was removing the blade pin because it was a little bent. To reattach the ring just set it on the bench and slam the pivot end back in. The ring collar is very springy and I've had no problems with it deforming.
    That's great info, I greatly appreciate the input.
    My 's:

*Landon*

That's great info, I greatly appreciate the input.
    Thanks from me too. However, I'm sitting here wanting to do it but there is no need to. The only reason I want to is just to know I can do it and get the thing back on with no problems. I feel a lot better knowing I can take my backlock and liner lock and CBBL knives apart and get them back together. But to do it for no reason just goes against the main rule which is: IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!. But if I ever need to I'll feel comfortable in doing so. Now I need to learn about re-pinning the blade. I'm sure that's not a real big deal though. I've wanted to learn it for traditional pocket knife repair. But, for those knives they need to look good as well as work. The Opinel pin is hidden. Well, if I can get the lock ring back on that is.

It's very easy to do and they have enough memory that they do not deform when you remove them. I am sure you can do it.
    -Nick

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    very col thread! ive been interested in picking one of these up but have yet to do so.
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User D1omedes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holland View Post
    very col thread! ive been interested in picking one of these up but have yet to do so.
    They really are great knives. I needed a paring knife and had always wanted to pick up an Opinel. I decided to pick up one with olive wood and it has performed great in daily kitchen chores. The geometry is so good that I can see that most of the knife's edge has rolled and it still keeps on slicing. The wood handle makes it comfortable to use, too. Can't ask for too much more, IMO.

Took a page out of Jack's book. Here are a couple of shots with changes. I like the re-shape of the handle he did, then added a lanyard hole. Did the nick opening as well, but a bit larger this time & easier on my fingers to open. I'm not sure, but this thing keeps looking more like another knife all the time, just can't figure out where I've seen one like it......

Still need to measure the thickness of the ring to see about the tension and tight fit, but perhaps later this weekend I'll get around to it. Still thinking thicker stock would account for the difference.

did the mustard thing to the blade. didn't get the colors like the example but still kind of different.