Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinel knives

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kbuzbee View Post
    ...I know the 12C27 is a good steel but I like their carbon steel. Sure wish there were more offerings in it. So many nicer handles, but all of them are stainless.

Ken
    Ken, we are just going to keep singing this same song....+1
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I may be wrong in this but I think the # refers to the size in the steel not the steel .
    I recently got a Carbon just larger and smaller , and there where different numbers 4,6,8 but all carbon .
    Although I could've got this wrong I love that giant one was looking at it recently a bit of opinel sword fighting came to mind .
    These all had beech handles too which I think compliments the rugged basic looks and character .

Interesting fact in the last century 210,000,000 opinels have been sold .

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladekeeper View Post
    I may be wrong in this but I think the # refers to the size in the steel not the steel .
    I recently got a Carbon just larger and smaller , and there where different numbers 4,6,8 but all carbon .
    Although I could've got this wrong I love that giant one was looking at it recently a bit of opinel sword fighting came to mind .
    These all had beech handles too which I think compliments the rugged basic looks and character .

Interesting fact in the last century 210,000,000 opinels have been sold .
    THat's an incredible number of knives. You are right about the numbers (#). They represent the size of the knife. I got the #6 which is the smallest one with a locking ring. I'm thinking about getting a smaller one.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

THat's an incredible number of knives. You are right about the numbers (#). They represent the size of the knife. I got the #6 which is the smallest one with a locking ring. I'm thinking about getting a smaller one.

It is truly amazing and maybe how they calculated how often one is sold ?.
    Thanks for the clarification on the # anyone interested this is where I got the whole # sold.
    I hope mods are ok with this link ss its about the history not a sales site .
    http://www.opinel.com.au/history.htm

For those who won't click the link Pablo Picasso used an opinel to carve wood figures.
    So we are in good company .

Spyderco Forum Registered User kennethsime's Avatar
    My first experience with locking collar knives was actually with Nontron knives. Nontrons come from about 7 hours to the west of Savoie, and predate Opinels. That said, the Opinels have a nicer fit and finish, and I feel they have better quality control.

Those Olivewood handles sure do look nice, I fear a #8 is in my future.

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    You are right about the numbers (#). They represent the size of the knife.
    Actually I think it's the length, as there are No. 8 & No. 8 Slim, for example. No. 8 is available in 12C27 & Carbone but the Slim in 12C27 only... Same for all the "fancy" handles and limited editions... They need to "fix" that

I got the #6 which is the smallest one with a locking ring. I'm thinking about getting a smaller one.
    I'll be interested to see how that works out for you. I've wanted a smaller one but I think I'd miss the Virobloc.

Ken
    Last edited by kbuzbee; 07-24-2013 at 02:44 AM.
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    I've got a #6 and #8, both in carbon steel. Mine date back to the 1990s. Unfortunatley, before 2000, they didn't have the Viroblock locking ring set up to lock the blades *closed* so they open up in my pocket fairly easily. Therefore, I haven't carried them much in the past 20 years or so.

One of these days, I've got to disassemble the knives, get out the dremel and modify the ring lock to allow it to lock closed...

But you guys are right - the thin blades and XC90 steel (equivalent to 1086 tool steel) can take a really scary edge.

TedP

P.S. - I've also got one of the Cold Steel TwistMaster knives from the 1990s. It is basically a "tacical Opinel" with a beefed up lock ring, polymer/rubber handle and Carbon V steel. The beefiness of the construction goes against the grain of the "light and simple" aesthetic of the Opinel, but it is a cool little knife. Unfortunately, they stopped production on them.

I've onlyh seen one Opinel. The #6 that I have. The pivot is snug enough that it won't open in my pocket accidentally or close accidentally. Not easilly anyway. I have been worried about water getting into the pivot causing the wood to swell. I didn't know if it would work or not but I sprayed some moisture protectant aerosol in it and worked it in like you would oil. Only I was working it into the wood. It didn't hurt anything. What I used I initially bought for leather but it is good for about anything porous according to the label. I'm comparing it to Ballistol but have never tried Ballistol. Anyway, with my knife the locking ring is hardly ever used. It's snug enough already. It's nice to know it's there when I want it though. I'm thinking of a #3 now. It has a 1 5/8" blade. No lock of course. The 6 is the smallest knife with a lock. Those of your with multiple knives, is the pivot tension different?

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Those of your with multiple knives, is the pivot tension different?
    My numbers 6 & 12 vary a lot. In winter I'd be hesitant to use them without the lock. In summer they tend to swell a bit and would be fine for most uses.

Ken
    玉鋼

My numbers 6 & 12 vary a lot. In winter I'd be hesitant to use them without the lock. In summer they tend to swell a bit and would be fine for most uses.

Ken
    Seasonal knives. Cool. Maybe some (I don't know what you call them) spring washers to control the tension a bit. Washers that are bent a little bit. Not lock washers. Do you know the washers I mean? They would allow the wood to swell and shrink but keep the tension closer to the same. Think that would work?

Jack

The "bent" kind? Or the "cut" kind? I think those are a form of "locking" washer. Either way, I doubt you could get sufficient tension on them (and if you could, I think it might wear the wood) But it "might" work....

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User einstein2001's Avatar
    Here is my modded Opinel No.8 and Mora Classic #2. The Opi needs some more sanding then I plan to stain both. The blade was ground down to remove the thumb tick and so the spine was flush with the handle when closed. A small notch was cut in the back of the spine to remove the slight negative blade angle. I modified the ring so it can be locked tight in both directions open or closed. A thumb access hole was cut in the handle to allow one handed opening. Thumb pressure against the brand etching is all it takes to open. It works very well as long as its not wet. Both are on kitchen duty. I use the Opi as a pairing knife and the Mora as a steak knife.
    Opinels make great gifts BTW. Got my Dad one for Fathers day.

Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
    Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
    Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
    ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly

-Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by einstein2001 View Post
    Here is my modded Opinel No.8 and Mora Classic #2. The Opi needs some more sanding then I plan to stain both. The blade was ground down to remove the thumb tick and so the spine was flush with the handle when closed. A small notch was cut in the back of the spine to remove the slight negative blade angle. I modified the ring so it can be locked tight in both directions open or closed. A thumb access hole was cut in the handle to allow one handed opening. Thumb pressure against the brand etching is all it takes to open. It works very well as long as its not wet. Both are on kitchen duty. I use the Opi as a pairing knife and the Mora as a steak knife.
    Opinels make great gifts BTW. Got my Dad one for Fathers day.

Excellent mod for one-hand opening. I think the modification elves will do that to mine very soon. I like it a lot.

I'm in the planning/thinking mode for a Mora blade I have. I hope it turns out as nice as yours did. I hadn't considered the 4 finger choils but I am now.

Spyderco Forum Registered User einstein2001's Avatar
    This website is in french but if you're looking for some inspiration the Opi mods here are amazing.
    http://michel.montlahuc.free.fr/opinel4.htm
    Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
    Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
    Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
    ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly

-Brandon

Decided to stain the handle.

Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    Ken, we are just going to keep singing this same song....+1
    I just read this on the Opinel USA site. Loosely translated:

Don't ask us to do any additional knives in carbon steel. Our customers are too stupid to own carbon steel knives...

<sigh>

Well, there you go. We have what we are going to have, I guess...

Ken
    玉鋼

Decided to stain the handle.
    Nice Jack. Looks like golden oak stain?

I think I'd choose cherry or maybe walnut...

Ken
    玉鋼

Nice Jack. Looks like golden oak stain?

I think I'd choose cherry or maybe walnut...

Ken
    Thanks Ken. Actually it is red mahogany. I thought about it and thought about it and after much heartache I decided on this. One reason was it's the only thing in the house. We got it to hide the damage after Sawyer (wife's dog) got done with the dinning room table and chair legs. My opinel will match better than any other silverware when we eat at that table. You know, Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    I just read this on the Opinel USA site. Loosely translated:

Don't ask us to do any additional knives in carbon steel. Our customers are too stupid to own carbon steel knives...

<sigh>

Well, there you go. We have what we are going to have, I guess...

Ken
    <SIGH> I feel your pain. I wonder how hard it is to get that locking ring off in a safe (reusable) manner? If anyone figures this out, we are in business!

P.S. on a side note it is rather bold (and comical) that they know their typical customer is ignorant of the nature of carbon steel blades. Sadly, most people are more knife neglecters than users.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Both #8's arrived today (one SS & one Carbon). Both are just the bass wood handles. They certainly aren't sharp when compared to a new Spyderco blade. First thing I did was sharpen both to about 15 degrees and then polish them up a bit with a fine stone. On one of them the ring is silky smooth, the other is very tight and difficult to turn. No complaints when you figure what they cost and the "quality control" involved after watching their production processing at the factory. Still, I do like the design and I'm going to see how they hold up to a bit of use. Should be much easier to sharpen, now that they have actual edges to work with. The cutting edge from the factory comes nowhere near the point, not even to the radius. They're both nice and sharp now, so we'll see how they do. I do enjoy the simplicity of design and their numbering system is easy enough to understand.