Thread: Hanging strop. Try it to see if you like it

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar

Hanging strop. Try it to see if you like it

Been learning to hone and maintain a straight razor for a few months now. This brought a hanging strop into my sharpening world. I was stropping a razor a few minutes ago and thought about trying to use it on a knife. I had my SB Stretch in my pocket so I tried it. The results were really really great. On my hanging strop I have .25 micron diamond spray on the back (rough) side and nothing on the smooth side. I used the back side for my Stretch and it went from very sharp to VERY sharp. It already sliced into and through phone book paper with ease. After a few strokes on the hanging strop it is now much easier. It slices through the paper with less resistance.

Using a light, very light stroke for the finishing strokes on stones or strops is the key for the super sharp edges. I think that since the hanging strop has some "give" to it compared to a strop mounted on glass, wood or some other hard material gave the contact between edge and strop a very light touch. I don't know for sure but I do know it improved the sharpness. How it effects edge retention I don't really know. I do know the hairs on my arm now POP off instead of just pile up on the blade when I shaved my arm.

Since I've been practicing with the hanging strop for my razors for a few days I have a better feel for it so maybe that helps. If you have a hanging strop and haven't tried it on knives give it a shot, just for fun. Remember to keep the angle low and use as light amount of pressure as you can. Keep the angle the same as is on the edge or a little lower. NOT a little higher on purpose. When you try to keep it a TINY bit lower you will still hit the apex often enough for it to work.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Nice post, Jack. I tried my hanging strop on our kitchen knives but never really saw any improvement off the WEPS. I always figured it mostly straightened out any slight wire edge and I work really hard not to get those But maybe I missed something. Regardless, glad it's working out for you.

Ken
    玉鋼

Quote Originally Posted by kbuzbee View Post
    Nice post, Jack. I tried my hanging strop on our kitchen knives but never really saw any improvement off the WEPS. I always figured it mostly straightened out any slight wire edge and I work really hard not to get those But maybe I missed something. Regardless, glad it's working out for you.

Ken
    I haven't tried using the hanging strop right after using stones. Normally I haven't been stropping at all. So I can't say the hanging strop did better than a bench strop. I was just surprised at the difference it did make. I don't think there was a wire edge on the knife but there may be if it's small enough that I can't see it with a 60x loupe. That may be the thing though. The knife was already shaving arm hair in one pass and slicing phone book paper super easily. Now it just has a bit of the extra sharpness that's nice to see. I do wonder though about edges that sharp being so delicate they may break down easier when cutting cardboard or something like that. I don't have the ability to do any really accurate edge retention testing. Over the past year or so I'm now getting edges hair whittling using only stones and have abandoned stropping for the most part. The reason is that since the edges are as sharp as they are I didn't want to risk loosing any edge retention by straightening micro burrs. While I don't think there are any there I can only go by what I can see or feel. There are burrs that are too small to see or feel without high magnification. I still want to try the strop right after using stones. Today I just stropped the edge on the knife in my pocket. There may have been some minor damage that the strop did just striaghten.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    I don't have the ability to do any really accurate edge retention testing.
    Jack, have you seen this site by BassLakeDan?

http://www.howsharpisit.com

Might be interesting?

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User Doc Dan's Avatar
    I have been using a strop since I was a kid and learned from my grandfather. He made me strop his razors. Now, I very rarely have to sharpen a knife. I just hit it a few licks and a promise on the strop and the knife is very sharp once again.

What spray is that you use? I use a plain strop but that spray sounds interesting.
    Nothing cuts like a Spyderco.

"Until we meet again, may the good Lord take a liking to you."
    (Roy Rogers)

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Dan View Post
    I have been using a strop since I was a kid and learned from my grandfather. He made me strop his razors. Now, I very rarely have to sharpen a knife. I just hit it a few licks and a promise on the strop and the knife is very sharp once again.

What spray is that you use? I use a plain strop but that spray sounds interesting.
    The spray I used on the back (rough) side of my razor strop is .25 micron diamond spray. Over the past couple of years I've bought and used various sprays for strops. If you want to (I did) you can get several strops and use different sprays and compounds of various types and grits. I have different strops just like I have different grit stones. While these can be used to really taylor an edge for certain cutting applications they seem to be unnecessary for knives. Right now I think one flat strop of 1 micron boron carbide is the only strop anyone needs. Or you could get the "strop block" for $20 on knivesplus.com. That is a very good strop IMO. I do think for stropping though you need a fine grit abrasive. I have some cheap diamond paste at 500 grit. Might as well just use a stone and use push strokes.

Actually though when I use the hanging strop for about 5 passes I use the side with no abrasive. All I did to it is use Ballistol on it to keep it suptle. I did use neatsfoot oil but I ran out. So far Ballistol is working great judging from my straight razor's edges. I'm becoming VERY happy with them finally. I'm now getting to the point I can hear the razor cutting the whiskers like I've heard on the videos. My razor is pulling less on my face also because the edge is cutting the whiskers instead of pulling on them before cutting all the way through. It has taken months but now I'm benefiting from the time spent. I do know I should have worked on stropping the razor more though. Since the strop is working on razors I think it's a good one to put the super final touches on a knife edge also. Keep in mind for a strop with no abrasive on it, the knife already needs to be very sharp. Already sharp enough to be considered a very sharp knife.

Jack