Thread: Well-used Cara Cara Black BY03BK

Spyderco Forum Registered User kennethsime's Avatar

Well-used Cara Cara Black BY03BK

A customer brought in this well-used, well-loved Cara Cara for sharpening today. He uses it as a rough-use chore knife, cutting bailing twine on hay bales etc. The clip kept coming lose, so I put some loctite in and re-installed the clip. The action was a bit slow, I cleaned out lint and some dried dirt and grime, and lubed it up. Flips open beautifully! Now to get it sharp...

Handling this knife, I can't help but pine for a Delica and Endura with choil. Handled a Byrd Raven the other day for the first time in a while also, both designs are so good!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    That thing looks pretty nice. I see a bit of edge damage, but I'm sure it can last many more years for the owner.

Thanks for sharing.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Always nice to see a work horse taken care of, even if a little later. Thanks for sharing.

Spyderco Forum Registered User araneae's Avatar
    I do enjoy seeing a real user. We see too many polished edge, unblemished knives around here.
    So many knives, so few pockets...
    -Nick
    Light Modding and Wharnifying when time permits

Just got: Superblue D'fly

The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User ginsuwarrior's Avatar
    I agree. All these impressive steels hardly getting used. Yet here we have the lowly 8cr13mov making hay!!

I want to see some sprint PM2's with this kind of use! Send me one and I'll use it hard.

Quote Originally Posted by araneae View Post
    I do enjoy seeing a real user. We see too many polished edge, unblemished knives around here.

Quote Originally Posted by ginsuwarrior View Post
    I agree. All these impressive steels hardly getting used. Yet here we have the lowly 8cr13mov making hay!!

I want to see some sprint PM2's with this kind of use! Send me one and I'll use it hard.
    I'll put three through their paces, and a couple friends willing to do the same!

Now that's a knife.

Spyderco Forum Registered User DJFrostbyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BAL View Post
    Now that's a knife.
    Couldn't agree more! Looks great like that. That is how a knife should look! Those serrations look pretty toasted though.
    Endura 4 FFG - Delica 4 FFG - Sage 3 - Dragonfly Salt - Forum Native - Manix 2 LW - Manix 2 G10 - Tenacious - Persistence - Ambitious - Byrd Meadowlark G10 - Cat - C13 Pro Grip - Delica C11PBK - Atlantic Salt - Navigator - Para 2 Camo - Delica C11PBLE - White Endura Sprint - Mule MT05P - Delica 4 FFG - Salsa - Native 5 Ti - UKPK - Sage 1 - Dragonfly G10

Now THAT a knife!

That thing would be absolutely beautiful with a mirror polished edge. Pics after sharpening?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Chris_H's Avatar
    Very cool! Thanks for continuing to share some of the things you get to see at your job, kennethsime.
    "All your are belong to us."
    ** WTC # 1032 1533 **

Spyderco Forum Registered User LC Kid's Avatar
    That pic only screams about real love!
    Stay Sharp!

Quote Originally Posted by Cereal_killer View Post
    Now THAT a knife!

That thing would be absolutely beautiful with a mirror polished edge. Pics after sharpening?
    Unfortunately, I didn't get to snap any pics after sharpening. We usually only finish knives to about 1200 grit on a ceramic hone, and while the edges are quite effective, it's nothing compared to what some people accomplish on these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_H View Post
    Very cool! Thanks for continuing to share some of the things you get to see at your job, kennethsime.
    Anytime! Unfortunately I'm moving on soon, but I'll never stop being a knife nut, lol.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    There is nothing like a well used knife. I find a certain amount of beauty in a beat up tool that is still perfectly functional. It makes me wanna go out and use the crap out of every knife I own. They really take on a personality once they get worn in.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    amazing looking knife! thanks for sharing
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User powernoodle's Avatar
    Look how happy it is. Its almost smiling.

Quote Originally Posted by araneae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ginsuwarrior View Post

Well, even my hardest used knives will almost always have a polished edge. There's nothing better than the contrast between a beat up knife and a mirrored bevel. As for beat up Para 2 sprints, my 20CP is hardly beat up, but gets used thoroughly. I don't go around opening soup cans with it though so the blade isn't covered with scratches.

~David

Spyderco Forum Registered User WireEdge Roger's Avatar
    I love that picture, I look at it at least once a day. If I'd had a knife like that as a kid on our farm, it would probably look really bad! This one just looks well used, and eager for more.

I wonder, do they use the same blade coating as the DLC Spydercos? I wonder how a true DLC blade would look after the same amount of use? You really have to start cutting abusive stuff to get the DLC scratched off that bad. I put my DLC Para 2 through months of cardboard cutting everyday and it never developed a single scratch from it.

~David

Spyderco Forum Registered User Chris_H's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    I wonder, do they use the same blade coating as the DLC Spydercos?
    The website only states "black electric plating" is used so I take that as some other kind of coating (like black nickel maybe?) besides DLC.
    "All your are belong to us."
    ** WTC # 1032 1533 **