Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Superleaf or Manix 2 XL

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Superleaf or Manix 2 XL

Hi everyone just wanted to get some thoughts on these models and which one I should get for EDC. I have never owned either knives.
    I have a PM2 and really like the compression lock. I dont have any knives with the CBBL lock but I like what I have read about it.

So if you had to pick just one which one would you choose

Thanks in advance
    Jay Jay

Spyderco Forum Registered User GSO's Avatar
    While the CBBL is a very good lock mechanism, I find the compression lock a real pleasure to work with.

I'd recommend the Superleaf.

Spyderco Forum Registered User CarbonFiberNut's Avatar
    I'm the opposite from GSO - I vastly prefer the CBBL to the compression lock, and especially given that you already have a PM2, I think it would be better to get another kind of lock and experience it for yourself.

In general, here's how I think they stack up:
    size: The manix 2 XL is MUCH larger. It's got a better blade-to-handle ratio, and a bigger handle to boot. It's a really beastly knife. That may or may not be a good thing, depending on preferences
    clip: The superleaf wins hands down - it has a deep carry wire clip, while the manix 2 XL has a spoon-style clip. I vastly prefer the wire clip.
    ergos: Both are excellent, but I think the manix has a slight advantage here. The handle fills the hand well, and the 1/2 choil on the manix doesn't extend your finger as far away from the rest of the handle as much as the 3/4 choil does on the superleaf.
    lock: Both locks are outstanding, but I find the CBBL to be much more ergonomic, personally. I know the compression lock has a lot of loyalists around here, but I like the CBBL a lot. I also feel like the CBBL has better retention, while still remaining very "flickable" if that's your thing.

Really, I feel like the regular manix 2 or manix 2 lightweight might be worth considering too - the size difference between the superleaf and manix 2 XL is significant. The manix 2 lightweight can also be switched for a deep carry wire clip, and it feels like nothing in your pocket because it's so light, while remaining very strong with the CBBL. The regular manix 2 is almost the exact same size as the superleaf to boot.
    ◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
    ◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
    ◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?

I had a Superleaf and liked it a lot. 4mm blade was a bit much and would have preferred a 3mm. I like VG-10 over S30V but that is my opinion. The locks are indifferent to me. The one thing that sold me over the manix XL in the pocket clip. The deep Wire clip on the Superleaf is the only way to go. I don't know what you plan on paying for a Superleaf but when I got mine it was discounted to the same price as the XL.

Spyderco Forum Registered User wrdwrght's Avatar
    Beware, both (which I own and fondle regularly) are pocket hogs (more so than your PM2).
    Marc

USUAL CARRY: Air/Techno plus one from Manix/Native/Para/Caly/Stretch series. RECENT ARRIVAL: Cruwear Manix2. ON MY RADAR: CF S110V Native5 (pre-ordered); VG10 Caly 3.5. HOLY GRAILS: Superhawk; Manix (C95 FFG PE); S90V Manix2 (C101 "Mini" or 80mm). DREAMS: Tatanka (the long-awaited Bison!); Sage5.

If you're looking for an EDC go with Super Leaf because it's very comfortable to carry on a clip and the Manix 2 XL is entirely too much knife and too big for an EDC knife. However I always tell everyone that the Manix 2 XL is the world's best tactical for the money. I have both in my collection and if I was going into combat the Manix would be my choice. What I'm trying to say is buy the leaf first then as soon as possible buy the Manix 2 XL just for the experience because it's amazing.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Fresh Eddie Fresh's Avatar
    I had both, and sold the XL. It was too much knife for what I need, but you might need a bigger blade. The Superleaf is one of my favorite Spydercos. Don't expect the lock to work the same way as your Para2, though. My Paras are much looser... opening a Superleaf generally has to be a little more deliberate, but I like that.

If you think you might end up with both someday, get the Superleaf first... they stopped making them.

I just got a Manix2, I haven't had a chance to hold a Manix2 XL. The Manix2 is closer to the size of the Para2 in many ways, and probably similar to the Superleaf. I have a few Axis lock knives but this is my first BBL knife. I was disappointed that I couldn't operate the lock with just my thumb like I can with the Axis lock, but I figured out how to operate it with thumb and first finger and as long as the blade swings relatively freely then this is good enough. I point the blade down slightly, operate the lock, the blade swings partially closed, then I close the knife the rest of the way with my index finger.

What RanCoWeAla said. The Manix2-XL is my favorite knife, though I never expect to be using it in a tactical situation (the regular Manix2 is gaining, especially as EDC) -- it's amazing how comfortable the XL is in my hand, but the butt of the knife might attract attention sticking out of your pocket. And the original Manix2 is the same weight a the XL. Depending on the circumstances you might want to consider a Manix2 Light Weight (full flat grind), with its more discreet wire clip.

But if you decide on the Superleaf, you can pick one up at Sierra Trading Post now for, I think, $77.87 if you're willing to jump through a few hoops. First you have to go to their site and sign up for their email DealFlyers, then they email you today's flyer, which has an extra 45% off their regular discounts. You have visit their site via the email link and search for the knife via "Sports & Outdoor" then "Outdoor Gear." The 45% is taken off at about the last step of checkout (they mention it along the way), and you may get free shipping too. It's free if the "subtotal" is $100 or more, but they don't say if they're talking about the subtotal before the discount is applied or not.

This deal is good only for today, Fri 5 Jul, through 11:59PM mountain daylight time. (They also offered the deal two or three weeks ago.) I'm waffling now about getting one myself. If I do I'll get back and let you know about the shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by DougC-3 View Post
    But if you decide on the Superleaf, you can pick one up at Sierra Trading Post now for, I think, $77.87 if you're willing to jump through a few hoops.
    No, you can't. The 45% coupon in today's deal flyer only applies to select items - Spyderco knives are not on that list.

The best I've ever seen that applied to knives was 35%. Typically, the 30% is more frequent.
    ◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
    ◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK

I get the 35% quite often. The best way to get more coupons is to use the ones they send you (they send them out individually to customers). I find that if I use them, I get a flood of coupons, but if I don't they settle down to one every month or two. So if you get a 30% coupon, use it to buy some $20 item and you'll probably get a $35 coupon in the next week or so that you can use on a higher priced item.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAiello View Post
    I get the 35% quite often. The best way to get more coupons is to use the ones they send you (they send them out individually to customers). I find that if I use them, I get a flood of coupons, but if I don't they settle down to one every month or two. So if you get a 30% coupon, use it to buy some $20 item and you'll probably get a $35 coupon in the next week or so that you can use on a higher priced item.
    They also have multiple mailing lists, and send different coupons to the different lists - so if you want all of them you have to subscribe to everything, which means getting an STP email almost every day sometimes.

I picked up a cheap superleaf, then promptly unsubscribed from everything. The mailings were getting absurd.

I'm in to larger folders, and my XL is absolutely my favorite Spyderco design. It feels great in hand, solid as heck, a huge slab of S30V, and mine is smooth as oiled glass. It just seemed like so much more knife for the money when comparing stats to the Superleaf (I don't own one). WAY more edge than the SL due to the choil design. If you can snag a SL for the same as an XL, and prefer the comp lock, it'd be more of a battle for me. I vote XL hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by CarbonFiberNut View Post
    No, you can't. The 45% coupon in today's deal flyer only applies to select items - Spyderco knives are not on that list.

The best I've ever seen that applied to knives was 35%. Typically, the 30% is more frequent.
    Whew, thanks for catching that! They were touting over 14,000 items for 45% off, and I assumed the search window above that statement could be used, since I thought they couldn't expect us to thumb through 14,000 things manually.

Bad assumption. But it actually turned out not to be too hard to go through their flow path, for lack of a better term, to the knife list, but they had only 10 folders at the 45% off discount and of course, as you said, no Spidercos. Just as an exercise I selected a Boker Plus Clip priced at $49.95 and put it in the cart along with a SuperLeaf. I went all the way through PayPal and to the next to the last step, and sure enough they had an indicator showing that the Boker was reduced to $27.47, but the SuperLeaf of course had zero discount from their usual price of $137.95.

I'm a little relieved, because I was about to try to buy one even though I don't like the looks of the design nearly as much as the Manixes, but I do think it's well worth what would have been $75.87. Also, I don't have a single knife in VG-10 and have been wanting to try it -- I'm planning to get an Endura and a Delica, but in super blue and and ZDP-189, so I don't know when I'll get around to getting anything in VG-10...

Quote Originally Posted by bdblue View Post
    I just got a Manix2, I haven't had a chance to hold a Manix2 XL. The Manix2 is closer to the size of the Para2 in many ways, and probably similar to the Superleaf. I have a few Axis lock knives but this is my first BBL knife. I was disappointed that I couldn't operate the lock with just my thumb like I can with the Axis lock, but I figured out how to operate it with thumb and first finger and as long as the blade swings relatively freely then this is good enough. I point the blade down slightly, operate the lock, the blade swings partially closed, then I close the knife the rest of the way with my index finger.
    I got my first Manix2 a couple of months ago, so I'm not exactly an old hand, but now that it's got broken in and loosened up, I've happened onto a nifty way to close it without touching the blade. You just hold the opened knife with the blade horizontal to the ground, then tip the point up about 25 degrees, pull the lock completely open and hold it, rotate your hand and wrist inward very slightly, maybe 25 degrees or so (to the left if you're right handed) along the long axis of the knife and your hand and arm. The blade rotates smoothly into the handle and stays there if you release the lock. I love this design
    Last edited by DougC-3; 07-05-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Good thread!
    I have been going back and forth on these two for a couple of weeks now. Just went with the Super Leaf. 4mm blade with a compression lock...nice! One point in my thought process was it being discontinued but still in the pipeline. I can come back to the Manix 2 XL at some later date and probably will. BTW, I wrangled the Sierra site and got it shipped for $107 and change.
    Cheers...

Thank guys for all the info I think I will end up getting both but the superleaf will be first

Quote Originally Posted by JAYJAY View Post
    Thank guys for all the info I think I will end up getting both but the superleaf will be first
    Smart choice If you're interested in the Sierra Trading Post 30%-off deal, you can get it instantly, instead of waiting for the next time they offer it, by signing up for their email dealflyers. (At least this worked yesterday when I checked it, though I still haven't bought one for myself -- still leaning toward super blue & ZDP.) Also you can get free shipping by getting their free app on your phone and ordering via your phone.

The 30% email deal is usually done by accessing their site through the link in your email, but as another member kindly pointed out to me, you can get both free shipping and 30% off by ordering via the phone app and then entering the 30% off keycode when you check out. (The keycode is in the fine print at the bottom of the email). This brings the price down to $96.56 total.

I just checked my email flyer for today, and it offers free shipping plus 30% off, so you may not need to bother with the phone app. They say "Order Sub-Total of merchandise in the cart must total $100.00 or more excluding tax and shipping for [free shipping] offer to be valid." Since they say "in the cart" I'm guessing that's before their 30% discount gets the price down below $100, so free shipping would apply. One could do a dry run and see. (OK I promise to shut up about this now)

Spyderco Forum Registered User GSO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DougC-3 View Post
    The 30% email deal is usually done by accessing their site through the link in your email, but as another member kindly pointed out to me, you can get both free shipping and 30% off by ordering via the phone app and then entering the 30% off keycode when you check out. (The keycode is in the fine print at the bottom of the email). This brings the price down to $96.56 total.
    I missed the part where you could combine the two. Thanks for the info.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    id recommend the M2! its a great knife with great ergos. I like the jimping on it as well. If you can, try to get one of the sprints with a better steel!
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer