Thread: Cara Cara 2 thoughts

Spyderco Forum Registered User ginsuwarrior's Avatar

Cara Cara 2 thoughts

Definitely a great deal for the money. $31.68 on the zon.

Opens very smoothly (thanks to the full stainless liners) and locks up solid. This knife had no noticeable blade play in any direction. The G10 handle felt nice in hand. Really like the choil, wish it was on Endura also.

My only gripes at all, 1) Blade a little too thick at edge for my tastes, and 2) the byrd's eye hole feels a little odd. Other than that seems like a solid knife for the money. Didn't test the the steel real hard, but I think sypderco's 8cr13mov is a very serviceable steel for EDC, based on my other experiences.

I've got too many knives to pass through my EDC and I don't keep a museum, so this one got passed along to my 8 year old Thanks for reading!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I like the knife but not as much as the raven crow or robin.they are cheaper and the blades are thicker and sharpened on both sides.plus the others i stated are g-10 not frn.give one of them a try they are cheaper and a much better knife by far.I don't get the reasoning by this but you will see in hand.I own all of them and my cara2 is for all the tasks I wouldn't use anyother knife for.good knife in the Byrd line but try the others I mentioned they are far better and cheaper.I even think the raven is better then the spyderco value folder line.

The FRN Cara Cara 2 is a very handy economy knife. I really like it.

You know, the byrds are a great value, especially compared to similar
    products from other companies. I only have a couple Byrd Robins and they
    are solid little knives, but after using the Spyderhole for so long, the "teardrop"
    hole just seems odd to me.

They pinch my thumb when I open them. I have had the robins for several years
    and originally thought that I would get more byrd models, but never did. I still think
    that they are a solid well built knife, not my cup of tea, I guess.

My biggest gripes on this knife are the shoddy gimping and sharp liner edges, but overall it's pretty hard to beat and similar to the Endura G10.

i have the cara cara 2 and have no issues, it is a really nice knife. I have the byrd hawkbill as well and it is top notch too.

The Cara Cara is being made by a new maker. The earlier maker is not longer making knives and the entire production was moved to a new maker. The new pieces are even better than before. We just started to receive some of the models and they are very nice. Very solid with even better quality.

sal

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    The Cara Cara is being made by a new maker. The earlier maker is not longer making knives and the entire production was moved to a new maker. The new pieces are even better than before. We just started to receive some of the models and they are very nice. Very solid with even better quality.

sal
    Sounds great! Is there a way to tell by looking on the packaging if one is from the new manufacturer or the old?