Thread: Sage4, kirinite lava flow scales

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar

Sage4, kirinite lava flow scales

I like this material more as I use it. Change the angle or type of light and it's 3-D qualities change. VERY easy to work with and even when smooth it provides a great grip.

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    I like this material more as I use it. Change the angle or type of light and it's 3-D qualities change. VERY easy to work with and even when smooth it provides a great grip.

Can you remind me where you got the material?

Quote Originally Posted by senorsquare View Post
    Can you remind me where you got the material?
    These scales are of 1/8"x1.5"x5" lava flow.

https://usaknifemaker.com/catalogsea...lt/?q=kirinite

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User paladin's Avatar
    Jack, is this material brittle...specifically, if you were to drop a moderately heavy knife like your S4, would they crack? thanks
    Have Kiwi, will travel...wire Paladin...Hotel Carlton, San Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    Jack, is this material brittle...specifically, if you were to drop a moderately heavy knife like your S4, would they crack? thanks
    It' hard to explain what this stuff is like. It is exactly the opposite of brittle. It is more like a plastic. I have screwed up a couple of pieces because I cut too much to fast. It is very soft in regard to working with it. Wood, G-10, micarta (especially) is much harder. If you drop your knife kirinite may dent but it won't chip, crack or break. It will NEVER break. I don't think it would be a good material in a hot environment. I don't mean hot like summer in Texas. I mean hot like hanging on a fire fighter's belt. I think it might melt.

Hope this was helpful.

Spyderco Forum Registered User defenestrate's Avatar
    I was wondering about the durability, but it looks really cool!
    I don't get mad. I get..Stabby.
    -Fat Tony

Quote Originally Posted by defenestrate View Post
    I was wondering about the durability, but it looks really cool!
    From what I can tell this stuff is extremely durable. I have commented on how soft it is but that is strictly regarding working (cutting, sanding, drilling) with it. If I just had a knife or pistol with this material as the handle grips I would not be concerned. I emailed the vendor (USA Knifemakers) about any info on how heat resistant it is. I wonder about this material in hot places like a building on fire and a fire fighter having kirinite on him. At the moment I feel this stuff is about as durable as any knife handle would need to be.

Spyderco Forum Registered User nirvanero's Avatar
    I guess that's the same Sage 4 you stonewashed, it seems you liked to pimp that knife... Nice looking, well done.

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Nice work, Jack!

Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    From what I can tell this stuff is extremely durable.
    So does it compare to something like FRN?

Ken
    玉鋼

Quote Originally Posted by kbuzbee View Post
    Nice work, Jack!

So does it compare to something like FRN?

Ken
    I guess FRN is the closest thing to compare it to in my very limited experience. It's NOTHING like G-10, carbon fiber, wood, or anything I've worked with. I think FRN is liquid and poured into a mold. There isn't anything mysterious about this stuff (except how they get the color pattern ). I just don't know how to describe it. I like it so far. That's all I really know.

Jack

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    Jack - definitely looks nice - great job.

I handled some of this scale material at Blade - and it is definitely curious stuff. The swirly colors look like old-time celluloid material used in antique pens. I concur that it is relatively soft, pliable stuff. Definitely not splintery like plexiglass. And it is a solid unreinforced thermoplastic similar to the moonglow material- which means that it doesn't have any substrate to stengthen it. This makes it potentially less durable than reinforced materials like FRN, FRCP, G10, and phenolic (micarta). I would definitely use low speeds on power tools to avoid melting/galling problems.

TedP

Quote Originally Posted by phillipsted View Post
    Jack - definitely looks nice - great job.

I handled some of this scale material at Blade - and it is definitely curious stuff. The swirly colors look like old-time celluloid material used in antique pens. I concur that it is relatively soft, pliable stuff. Definitely not splintery like plexiglass. And it is a solid unreinforced thermoplastic similar to the moonglow material- which means that it doesn't have any substrate to stengthen it. This makes it potentially less durable than reinforced materials like FRN, FRCP, G10, and phenolic (micarta). I would definitely use low speeds on power tools to avoid melting/galling problems.

TedP
    The first scale I made, after I got it shaped to the liner I was using a chamfer router bit (puts 45 deg angle around the edge) to shape the edges. This bit has a post that is supposed to slide along the outside of the material (not cutting) so the cut is the same around the whole piece. Since it is spinning I think it created enough heat to melt the material. This caused the bit to cut about 1/16" too far which would expose the liner. That was my first order of the stuff and the first scale I made. The one immediately after that I was more careful and was successful. Well, about a month later I placed another order. This allowed me to have a few weeks to forget how soft kirinite is and sure enough, I screwed up the first piece again. What's the word for people who make the same mistake over and over? I remember, it's stupid. Maybe I'll remember next time. Some day I may buy it in a larger sheet so I can have a similar pattern on opposite sides. Now I have red stripes along one side and a "no pattern" design on the other. Picking two areas of a sheet though would probably result in wasting a lot of material though.

Since these scales are the same thickness as the stock G-10 scales I thought about putting my clip back on. I left all the other scales thicker and they won't work with a clip unless I try to bend the wires a bit. Or get longer clip screws. It's hard to bend wire clips exactly right for the right tension. Then I decided against it because I didn't want the clip covering up the pattern of my favorite side (RH, tip up). I'm not going to cut the clip grooves if I don't know if I want the clip mounted or not. I may make another set to use when I want the clip. Who knows? It only takes about 60 seconds to swap the scales on this knife and no real disassembly is required.

Jack

Spyderco Forum Registered User Halfneck's Avatar
    1st I saw of kirinite in handles was by Andy Roy of Fiddleback Knives. This year at BLADE I saw at least 5 other custom makers, plus a few Spyderco prototypes. Some of the colors are pretty cool, and I agree with phillipsted in how it looks like the celluloid scales used on old slipjoints.
    "A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich