Thread: byrd wrench

Spyderco Forum Registered User

byrd wrench

Just got the Byrd wrench cause finding the spydy wrench is going for $400 I got this one and love it.great erganomics. Loads of options and the price was right going to get another cause I think they are discontinued and most likely will clime in price.anyone else have one?

where did you buy it i have been looking for one

The bay for 59$ I will get the sellers name for you he has more then one

Spyderco Forum Registered User DJFrostbyte's Avatar
    Endura 4 FFG - Delica 4 FFG - Sage 3 - Dragonfly Salt - Forum Native - Manix 2 LW - Manix 2 G10 - Tenacious - Persistence - Ambitious - Byrd Meadowlark G10 - Cat - C13 Pro Grip - Delica C11PBK - Atlantic Salt - Navigator - Para 2 Camo - Delica C11PBLE - White Endura Sprint - Mule MT05P - Delica 4 FFG - Salsa - Native 5 Ti - UKPK - Sage 1 - Dragonfly G10

Well wish I found that first.lol

Spyderco Forum Registered User DJFrostbyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by endgame View Post
    Well wish I found that first.lol
    LOL, I picked one up fast!!
    Endura 4 FFG - Delica 4 FFG - Sage 3 - Dragonfly Salt - Forum Native - Manix 2 LW - Manix 2 G10 - Tenacious - Persistence - Ambitious - Byrd Meadowlark G10 - Cat - C13 Pro Grip - Delica C11PBK - Atlantic Salt - Navigator - Para 2 Camo - Delica C11PBLE - White Endura Sprint - Mule MT05P - Delica 4 FFG - Salsa - Native 5 Ti - UKPK - Sage 1 - Dragonfly G10

I love it to

Sierra Trading Post has Byrd Wrenches: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/byr...colorFamily=99

The frequently run special discount offers for 25-35% off if you sign up for their email list.

I love mine and use it every day

I prefer a serrated edge to a plain edge....a well done serrated edge can do anything a plain edge can do, especially those serrations on the original Cara Cara rescue. I could push cut newspaper with it, whittle shingles into points, saw, chop, scrape and cut with those serrations with no problem.

pimsleurreview http://pimsleurreview.net/
    sharphosts http://www.sharphosts.com
    ileatherwear ileatherwear leather bomber jacket
    testking http://testking.com
    pass-4-sure pass4sure practice test online classes
    Last edited by honey; 07-10-2013 at 12:19 AM.

? Is this for the wrench or did you post in the wrong thread?.a serrated edge is good for rough cuts but if you need a smooth cut you have to use straight edge.

Spyderco Forum Registered User defenestrate's Avatar
    When I picked up my byrdwrench (2010 or 2011), the Spyderwrench was being discoed I think so both were less than usual. I chose the byrd because the were all CE at the time and I chose PE over that (Would have chosen SE if i saw them available at the time). I think I paid about 45 bucks for mine + shipping (which was combined with some other items so iit was fairly negligable, maybe a few dollars per item). great tool - my only complaint is that the file/punch is a bit brittle - I was using it to tap some manner of pin out of a hole, and despite being rather gentle, the thin cylindrical end that slid into a hole about maybe 3/32" to 1/8" I guess, snapped off. Now the file won't stick in the handle and the wrench won't stay closed. Have been considering contacting W&R to see if they have spares but as easy as I found it to break I might be better off finding a smallish file that I can cut or snap to size and that should take considerably more force before snapping.
    I don't get mad. I get..Stabby.
    -Fat Tony

We're considering a remake on this model with some mods. Any thoughts?

sal

yes add some torques to fit spyderco knivess and a serrated blades and a small diamond rod to touch up a blade.

Spyderco Forum Registered User defenestrate's Avatar
    I'd say the punch/file needs to be a little more robust. I broke mine tapping it fairly lightly with a hammer. I figured the main body of the wrench would be more sensitive, but I was wrong. In any case, I'm looking to find a replacement now - i would have sent the piece into W&R but I'm not certain as to its whereabouts. I will either modify a regular round file to fit or get a hold of you folks in time. It's a groovy tool and I like it. Will think about possible modifications.
    I don't get mad. I get..Stabby.
    -Fat Tony

Some good ideas in here. I'd like to see CTS-BD1 as the steel in a Byrdwrench revival, and if plain edge'd I'd have to acquire one. I have a Byrdwrench that's lived in the glove compartment of my truck for the last couple years. It's saved me a number of times from needing a tow.
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam), Jester (Grey G10), Caly3/3.5 (CF ZDP-189/420J2), Domino (Blue weave)
    Ladybug (H1), Native FRN (Black S30V), Dragonfly Salt, Swick3, Techno, Military (CruWear)
    Schempp Tuff, Goddard OD, Mule Team (K390), Manix2 LW Black, Ulize, Chokwe
    Saver Salt, Lava (Blue G-10), 2013 Forum Native, Delica 4 (Titanium Damascus)

-> Branden

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    The handle was only able to cut the hemp when 10,000 metric tons of force was applied

Spyderco Forum Registered User M80's Avatar
    I would pick one up