Thread: Selling an automatic knives on ebay

Banned

Selling an automatic knives on ebay

Hey yesterday this weird thing happened to me. I'm from Bulgaria and I listed my Automatic Rift for sale on EBAY.COM and I've put the "worldwide shipping" option in my ad. A few minutes later I got an email, and here it is a part of it
    Please be advised that the United Kingdom and Ireland have very strict laws about the sale of knives. Because of this, we don't allow most knives to be sold on www.ebay.co.uk or www.ebay.ie.For safety concerns and in order to follow laws and regulations, we restrict the kinds of weapons and accessories that can be sold on eBay. Be sure to follow all laws and regulations ? as well as eBay policies ? before buying or selling these items.

You may relist this item provided that you only offer domestic shipping.
    I wasn't going to send it to England. I know they have their absurd laws. And what does ebay.com have to do with ebay.co.uk ?? They are different websites. Uk doesn't allow most of the knives to be sold there, but many other countries like some of the US states, or Europe contries, have no trouble with that. And I got deleted. I won't be able to sell my knife to the states just because England is such a pussy country What a joke Anyone had a thing like that ? Unbelievable

And other thing, I can open my spyderco's or other knives with thumbstuds faster than that auto.It's just practice. NO LOGIC.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Most knife laws are illogical. As for eBay, you put "worldwide shipping", so it would have been listed in the UK, Ireland, and the US, all of which it would have been illegal for you to ship it. I'm surprised they'd even allow you to re-list an automatic for sale locally in Bulgaria. Here in the USA, they don't allow autos and balisongs to be listed at all.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    I would be shocked if selling an auto knife on the Internet wasn't a pain in the #$*.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    Most knife laws are illogical. As for eBay, you put "worldwide shipping", so it would have been listed in the UK, Ireland, and the US, all of which it would have been illegal for you to ship it. I'm surprised they'd even allow you to re-list an automatic for sale locally in Bulgaria. Here in the USA, they don't allow autos and balisongs to be listed at all.
    I hope they won't forbid all the speedsafes and as they say gravity knives also. What if the US is going in the same direction in which England did ? No locking blades etc. This would be the real pain

Spyderco Forum Registered User Sequimite's Avatar
    List it as domestic shipping but put in the description, prominently, that you will ship internationally EXCEPT for the prohibited countries.
    Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
    - William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897

Banned
    What a great idea, will do Thanks.

Spyderco Forum Registered User johnnygomer's Avatar
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but ebay does not allow listing any of the following items:
    "Automatic knives

Balisong knives

Butterfly knives

Dual-action knives

Gravity knives

Hidden or disguised knives such as air gauge knives, belt buckle knives, lipstick case knives, or writing pen knives

Out-the-front (OTF) knives

Paratrooper knives

Push knives—they're also called push daggers, punch daggers, punch knives, push dirks, and T-handled knives

Replica or imitation switchblades

Shuriken

Switchblade knives (knives with a blade that open automatically—for example, by pressing a button or through inertia or gravity)

Sword canes

Throwing stars, ninja stars, throwing cards, Batman symbols, or Cyclone knives"

It restricts others:

"Most weapons can't be listed on eBay because of strict federal and state government regulations and international laws banning the sale of these items. Please review the list of items below to find out what you can and can't sell on eBay.

For certain types of weapons and weapon-related accessories that can be listed, sellers have to follow our guidelines, as well as meet the following requirements:

The item is listed only on the eBay US site.

The seller is located in the US

The item is also in the US

The seller offers only domestic shipping for the item, since international shipping would make the item available in countries where it might be prohibited.

The item complies with California law on the sale of weapons.

Make sure your listing follows these guidelines. If it doesn't, it may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account."

If you read what is and what is not allowed, you are right it makes abxolutely no sence whatsoever.

*ebay policy overview of sale of firearms, weapons, and knives

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    johnny is right! the word AUTO is certainly a four letter word on the BAY. They immediately remove your listing. That said, eBay has hundreds of assisted (speedsafe, assist, etc.) knives listed daily. What knife did you list?
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User johnnygomer's Avatar
    Also, laws in general often times make very little sense. I live in Texas. I can't legally carry or purchase an automatic knife unless I am active military or law enforcement, but with a CHL a glock is A okay. Not that I'm complaining. I carry a knife for more utilitarian purposes, not for self-defense. My self-defense weapon goes bang.
    As a matter of fact there was a case here recently in which someone went on a "spree" with an Exacto knife. Just goes to show that its the person behind the weapon, not the weapon itself that is a threat.
    But that may be bordering on politics, so I'll leave it at that.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    I would be shocked if selling an auto knife on the Internet wasn't a pain in the #$*.
    From my experience that is very subjective. I have listed "restricted" items on eBay and skirted around their "rules". You simply list according to their rules, and if you have an inquiry from a potential customer asking if you will ship to their part of the world, you reply yes or no. eBay cannot control where you ship to

Oh and even big name online retailers will ship auto knives to non LE/Military from my experience, contrary to what they say on their site. That's been my past experience anyway. They just assume the buyer is responsible for their purchase.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Monocrom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    johnny is right! the word AUTO is certainly a four letter word on the BAY.
    Ironically, eBay itself is a four-letter word.

I post on a dedicated watch forum. On numerous occasions, members there have made topics in which their expert eyes spotted well-made (and in some cases blatant) fakes of luxury watches. Those members would then follow the proper procedures in reporting the fakes, and even listing why they are fakes. Or, what tell-tale signs the watches were displaying that showed them to be fakes.

The average person has no clue how sophisticated the con-men have become. It's no longer just the $10 or $15 clearly fake Rolex you can get in China town. (The one that starts to fall apart as you pick it up.) Nowadays, you have fakes sometimes blatantly sold in online shops as "replicas." And unfortunately, they could fool the best experts out there. These are $200 fakes that are sold as "replicas." Buyers can turn around and sell them for half of what a new Rolex retails for. That's thousands in profit. Only way to tell it's a fake is to remove the caseback and have an experienced independent watchmaker examine the movement. Fakes with a cheap Sea-Gull automatic movement inside, or with the caseback from a genuine Rolex watch. A Rolex sold with box and papers is no guarantee either. Yup! They can fake those too. A genuine Rolex box (just the box) is around $200. A small investment that is then studied and reproduced to look just like it. Papers can be forged. You end up buying a Rolex off eBay with Box & Papers. You think that's a guarantee that your Rolex is genuine. And you're in for a very sad surprise the first time it needs servicing, and the watchmaker removes that caseback . . .

It's not just Rolex though. Name a watch, there's an excellent fake out there of it. Being sold on the internet as a "replica" to some unsuspecting member of the general public who has probably been saving up for months, if not years, for a "nice" watch. Or, not even a nice watch. They'll fake anything! I've seen fake Invicta watches! Even fake Timex. Anything and everything. And just good enough not to fall apart at all.

Nowadays, peace of mind comes from buying only from an Authorized Dealer of a particular brand. In many cases, that means paying full price. But at least you know for sure it's not a "replica." Still, you have folks looking for bargains on the world's largest flea-market. And when an expert reports that a listed watch is indeed fake, often times eBay refuses to pull the listing! They have no problem letting buyers purchase watches that eBay knows are fakes from off its site. No problem with that at all. That's eBay for you.
    "The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

-John Cleese-