Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 141

Thread: SM-35M50 Micromelt Steel looks amazing!

  1. #61
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    9,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Stamp View Post
    -the ease of sharpening of as-cast 121 REX
    I actually let out a legit LOL when I read this.

    SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

    Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

  2. #62
    Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Small City, Philippines
    Posts
    8,042
    Quote Originally Posted by BrutallyEffective View Post

    None of this makes any sense, you're railing against Cliff's testing saying that it is non-representative of the mainstream, and therefore bogus, and then suggesting that people look at other non-representative testing to determine the best steel.
    I didn't make that connection. What I said what that Cliff's testing skews his data in favor of low alloy steels. I also said that his results are so far off the common experience of the mainstream and I did ask him about it once. His reply was that most of us were just experiencing a placebo effect because we had good experiences with high carbide volume steels.

    When I had good experiences with HCV steels for my task, I looked for steels with similar properties(wear resistance) and I've found that these steels worked well for some of my tasks. That's my experience and the experience of a lot of folks here.

    Now Cliff says that knives of bevels angles set at over 10 inclusive are not much use to him since he says cutting performance is so degraded. Ok, I accept that, BUT, then he goes on to say that all the experience of the mainstream is invalid and is a result of a placebo effect and in fact, he is the only one with the TRUTH.

    Now, how does it happen that only he(and a few of his friends)have results like that? Obviously his results are like that because of his protocols. He sets the protocols that way because that's his preference in a knife for his use and that again is fine.

    Now, not everybody uses angles as low as Cliff's(I'd guess less than 5% of users). Cliff himself says that unless the bevel angles are that low, then wear resistance will "overpower" edge stability. Here's where my problem is. I don't like edge damage and I dislike repairing it even more. That's why I bevel my pocket knives at around 30 which for me provides a good compromise between sharpness and durability.

    My question then follows, what are you cutting that a sharp 30 bevel is considered degraded performance? Are you using your knife as a scalpel? Shaving with it? If your tasks mandate an extremely low angle, go for it. Choose a steel that supports the angle and accomplish your task with elan.

    BUT, there's a big BUT, the low angles are not for everyone and not for all tasks. Obviously a lot of people are going to have their bevel angles at between 20-40. According to Cliff himself, wider angles are where HCV steels will perform best. So isn't it a foregone conclusion that since a lot of people use wider angles, that HCV steels perform better for them? Why then dismiss the majority experience as "placebo effect"?

    If Cliff wants a wider audience, then he should set his protocols where the wider audience have theirs at. Unless, he is trying to find a set of protocols that will enable him to set himself up as the purveyor of THE TRUTH.

    As someone just PM'ed me, Cliff seems to be trying to incite something.

    I hope that reply is clear enough to you now. It's a bit wordy so you'll have a more fun time of trying to say "it's nonsense" or trying to twist my words.

    Oh BTW, what bevel angles do you have on your knives? What steels do you use?
    Last edited by chuck_roxas45; 12-17-2013 at 05:02 PM.
    Trust those who seek the truth, but doubt those who say they've found it.



    http://sharpthings.net/chat

    http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

  3. #63
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    I didn't make that connection.
    You heavily implied it, denying it would be insulting to yourself, and to people reading.

    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    What I said what that Cliff's testing skews his data in favor of low alloy steels. I also said that his results are so far off the common experience of the mainstream and I did ask him about it once. His reply was that most of us were just experiencing a placebo effect because we had good experiences with high carbide volume steels.
    Ok, well now we're discussing something else: Cliff saying everyone else's testing and preferences are based on placebos. Eh, not interested, maybe Cliff would like to defend himself here, but I doubt it.

    Personally, it's pretty obvious that he got results so far off the mainstream, because his testing is so far off the mainstream, and you agree completely, Yahoo! This was my entire point. Testing to particular circumstances doesn't make it bad, it just makes it relevant to those circumstances.

    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    When I had good experiences with HCV steels for my task, I looked for steels with similar properties(wear resistance) and I've found that these steels worked well for some of my tasks. That's my experience and the experience of a lot of folks here.

    Now Cliff says that knives of bevels angles set at over 10 inclusive are not much use to him since he says cutting performance is so degraded.

    Ok, I accept that...
    So do I, Hurrah! Like I was saying, do testing for your circumstances, and base your choices on that.

    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    BUT, then he goes on to say that all the experience of the mainstream is invalid and is a result of a placebo effect and in fact, he is the only one with the TRUTH.
    Does he? That's a shame. Not sure why we're talking about it though.

    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    Now, how does it happen that only he(and a few of his friends)have results like that? Obviously his results are like that because of his protocols. He sets the protocols that way because that's his preference in a knife for his use and that again is fine.
    More agreement, fantastic, feels good, you know?

    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    Now, not everybody uses angles as low as Cliff's(I'd guess less than 5% of users). Cliff himself says that unless the bevel angles are that low, then wear resistance will "overpower" edge stability. Here's where my problem is. I don't like edge damage and I dislike repairing it even more. That's why I bevel my pocket knives at around 30 which for me provides a good compromise between sharpness and durability.
    100% agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    My question then follows, what are you cutting that a sharp 30 bevel is considered degraded performance? Are you using your knife as a scalpel? Shaving with it? If your tasks mandate an extremely low angle, go for it. Choose a steel that supports the angle and accomplish your task with elan.
    Everything, everything I cut with a very low angle definitely cuts better. Cliff feels the same way, and is obviously more comfortable repairing damage when he screws up or pushes the boundaries too far, good for him.

    Personally I'm similar to you in that I don't enjoy sharpening edge damage a lot, and therefore I give myself more obtuse angles on the steels I use to decrease edge failure on knives used for wide ranges of tasks. Probably about 10 degrees per side? I dunno, I'm a sloppy free hander.

    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    BUT, there's a big BUT, the low angles are not for everyone and not for all tasks. Obviously a lot of people are going to have their bevel angles at between 20-40. According to Cliff himself, wider angles are where HCV steels will perform best. So isn't it a foregone conclusion that since a lot of people use wider angles, that HCV steels perform better for them?
    Well, it's not foregone, because that means the conclusion was made before the circumstances, and the circumstances are what is being cut, carbide volumes, sharpening ability and enjoyment factor. We agree that those differing circumstances determine what steels perform better, and it's up to people to determine this for themselves.

    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    Why then dismiss the majority experience as "placebo effect"?
    I dunno man, seems really dumb for him to say that, you gotta take that up with Cliff, but I suspect there's a lot of context missing here.

    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    If Cliff wants a wider audience, then he should set his protocols where the wider audience have theirs at. Unless, he is trying to find a set of protocols that will enable him to set himself up as the purveyor of THE TRUTH.
    Well, I'm not talking about Cliff's audience, I'm talking about how testing is relevant to different people depending on daily use. He does testing based on his daily use and sharpening ability and preferences. I think we agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    As someone just PM'ed me, Cliff seems to be trying to incite something.
    Was it Cliff? Was it a Known Associate? What did he say?

    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    I hope that reply is clear enough to you now. It's a bit wordy so you'll have a more fun time of trying to say "it's nonsense" or trying to twist my words.
    I didn't say it was nonsense, I said it didn't make sense, because you were contradicting yourself. Nonsense means it has no value, I said you held two contradictory values at once, so the value was present but unclear.

    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    Oh BTW, what bevel angles do you have on your knives? What steels do you use?
    Kitchen knives I use have very cheap stainless steel and very low angles, circa 10 degrees inclusive, with a wide variety of micro bevels. I don't know exactly to be honest, my free handing is all over the shop. I find this gives great performance, and if I look after my knives, they cut better like this for longer. If some pillock sneaks in and starts banging my knives around though, it really sucks.

    Daily cutters range from VG-10 to S30V to 3G, to Pakistan's finest mystery steel. They lie somewhere between very fine angles and the factory angles. Did I mention my free handing produces sloppy angles? If I had to average them out, I find they settle around 10 degrees per side, but convexed to the edge...?

    So just to make sure we are on the same page, this whole discussion started when Cliff mentioned that Kylie was sending out a knife to be tested by many people who did not know what the steel was, and you said that would only be useful if the testing wasn't biased or skewed.

    My argument was that there would be no bias, because the testing is blind, and in circumstances relevant to each of the testers. I think we agree on this point now, from what I have read.
    Last edited by BrutallyEffective; 12-17-2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Skipped word

  4. #64
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,814
    Quote Originally Posted by BrutallyEffective View Post
    Unless Cliff Stamp was himself an identity assumed by anonymous science types everywhere ...
    In death we are Robert Paulson.


    ... against Cliff's testing saying that it is non-representative of the mainstream
    I don't think this argument actually holds, that the geometries I use are extreme in a general sense. In fact it is obvious that the opposite is the case if you do even light research or if you are even more than a casual user. As just one example, in what is well known as the bible of axes by Cook he describes how to sharpen axes (not surprising). In a full size felling axe, the final sweep of the edge (where the angle is the highest) it is 15 dps.

    Now think about the forces which are subjected to a full size felling axe in use and then think about the forces which are applied to a pocket knife in use. Is it not immediately obvious, blindingly obvious even that the pocket knife is subject to less force in use. Because if this is the case then someone with the most basic grasp of physics should be able to grasp that the pocket knife should be slimmer at the edge than a full size felling axe.

    If you use a knife by :

    -Kyley Harris
    -David Boye
    -Mike Gavac
    -Phil Wilson
    -Alvin Johnson
    -Jeremy McCullen

    and the list goes on, then nothing that I say is extreme geometry wise.

    Or simply note that the SB Delica is not actually radically thinner than a common Opinel. If you buy a knife which costs 10X that of a Opinel should you not expect more out of the steel and the knife :

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJDEiULVHL8

    or a fancy one :

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIrzn-pBJTE

    Note the secondary bevel on that is so thin that you can barely see it.

    It isn't the case that I am the only person using knives in these geometries, Alvin was talking about this in the late nineties on rec.knives and making knives and giving them to people so ground. Roman's work of course discusses such geometries, and the list continues.

    It is also a significant cultural/regional thing. I have a number of very nice japanese kitchen knives and it is very common to have edges which are < 0.005"/15 dps. In fact it is so well known now that this produces far superior performance that even western manufacturers are doing it and you can easily get common US brands which have edges < 0.010"/15 dps and this is on $5 knives.

    Just think about if your knife should have lower performance than a $5 420J2 stainless steel knives. I expect more from the makers I work with and from the manufacturers I support, and they deliver - it is why I work with and support them.

  5. #65
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Stamp View Post
    I don't think this argument actually holds, that the geometries I use are extreme in a general sense.
    Well, yes your edges are not extreme among people with a strong understanding of steel, blade use, sharpening, and identifying and rectifying the various kinds of edge damage that can occur.

    But among the mainstream are people without that level of understanding. For most people, if they severely damage a knife, that knife will never cut well again. Ever. They just don't have the skill (or equipment, or both) to repair and resharpen it with a consistent and appropriate angle.

    I've seen this a lot in commercial kitchens, Chefs with knife rolls and draws and tupperware containers filled with unused knives, because they "don't like the handle" or "Got a new, better knife". The thing all the knives have in common are damaged edges they cannot repair, and they won't admit it, and these are people who use knives as their occupation.

    I think this is why most knives are sold with these obtuse edges; the lowest ability knife users are not that far off the median of knife users' ability.
    Last edited by BrutallyEffective; 12-17-2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Mixed mathematical metaphors; made less embarrassing.

  6. #66
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,814
    Quote Originally Posted by BrutallyEffective View Post
    He does testing based on his daily use and sharpening ability and preferences.
    The comparisons I do are not limited to my preferences, in fact they are often extremely different. As just one example :

    http://www.cliffstamp.com/knives/reviews/cardboard.html

    Note that the maximum peak of performance in that table is for fairly high carbide steels. The angles/finishes I actually carry/use are at a lower angle and higher polish which shifts the peak. However that table is part of a much larger body of work which will map out how the angle/grit finish which is optimal is dependent on the carbide volume.

    In the discussion on Jeremy's chef knife for example the work was taken to the point the edge failed by using the knife in a manner that I would not personally do in the kitchen. But again to provide a more comprehensive commentary I used it in a manner which is common, but that I personally don't use.

    The silliest thing of course is that I have been sponsoring pass arounds for decades. I have no control over what people do on them and that information is added to the reviews, posted on the forums and video's are made on YT. If I wanted to make some kind of biased argument that would be a pretty insensible way to do it, allow an opened ended independent evaluation.

    Of course the most ridiculous thing is this - if some really feels the passarounds are biased/skewed and are missing critical points of evaluation then just participate in them and provide that information that is what they are used for.

  7. #67
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    10
    I'm aware of (and greatly appreciate) your testing Cliff, I just figured I would refer only to the testing Chuck had selectively referred to.

    What I found interesting about that page is the relatively small differences between a lot of the steels. It confirms a bit what Stuart and Chuck were saying earlier, in how hard it is to differentiate steels simply with daily use only. Do you have a table that contains all three classes of steel, rather than the 3 separate classes?

    Actually, another very interesting thing is the performance of the ZT Elmax and a few others, and how poor they were. This really drives home the importance of good heat treating and grinding with respect. The Maker really is so much more important than the steel they have chosen.

    It's always good to see Spyderco giving the customs a run for their money too!

  8. #68
    Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Small City, Philippines
    Posts
    8,042
    Quote Originally Posted by BrutallyEffective View Post
    Well, yes your edges are not extreme among people with a strong understanding of steel, blade use, sharpening, and identifying and rectifying the various kinds of edge damage that can occur.

    But among the mainstream are people without that level of understanding. For most people, if they severely damage a knife, that knife will never cut well again. Ever. They just don't have the skill (or equipment, or both) to repair and resharpen it with a consistent and appropriate angle.

    I've seen this a lot in commercial kitchens, Chefs with knife rolls and draws and tupperware containers filled with unused knives, because they "don't like the handle" or "Got a new, better knife". The thing all the knives have in common are damaged edges they cannot repair, and they won't admit it, and these are people who use knives as their occupation.

    I think this is why most knives are sold with these obtuse edges; the lowest ability knife users are not that far off the median of knife users' ability.
    Haha, you make it sound like it's really obscure knowledge. I will admit one thing, that you and Cliff are equally good at words.

    I daresay there are quite a few people who have as much if not more experience with knives, steel, and sharpening and yet not prefer sub 10 for general use. I guess you can justify their preferences by saying they do not have a strong understanding of blah blah blah...

    I wonder what bevel angles Sal uses on his knives...

    I also think I read somewhere that Phil Wilson puts 20 bevels on his customs. I guess you'd say Phil doesn't have a strong understanding of steel, knives, and sharpening then. LIke Phil, I prefer thin blade stock with decent angles rather than going with really low angles but thicker blade stock. However, since I can accomplish my tasks with production knives(I also don't have the money to indulge my desire for customs) at my prefered bevel angles, I stick with them.

    I wonder what materials you cut that a sharp 30 bevel underperforms for you. If you're a sushi chef, that's pretty understandable on the sushi knives but on an EDC pocket knife?

    I have gotten tired of playing word games with you because that's all we're really doing here. You have your preferences and your admiration for Cliff and I have my preferences and skeptism of his testing and his motives. I'm not gonna convince you and you're sure not going to convince me.
    Last edited by chuck_roxas45; 12-18-2013 at 04:14 AM.
    Trust those who seek the truth, but doubt those who say they've found it.



    http://sharpthings.net/chat

    http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

  9. #69
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    I have gotten tired of playing word games with you because that's all we're really doing here.
    Hey, if you give up, that means I win by default!

    What I meant by the 30 bevel underperforming, was that more acute angles slide through stuff (fruit, plastic packaging, cardboard, meat, everything) a lot better, and don't seem to fail or get damaged any worse for me. Why not just take the knife that feels sharper?

    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    I guess you can justify their preferences by saying they do not have a strong understanding of blah blah blah...
    If you want to justify it that way, fine with me! I personally would justify it by putting it down to what they are comfortable with in their experience. As for knives they sell, I'd reckon they put angles on that give a good balance between guys and gals that say "Hey buddy, that knife you sold me can't hold an edge through rocks worth a crap!" and others that say "Hey chief, that knife you sold me cuts worse than the rocks that weirdo is trying to cut."

  10. #70
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    As someone just PM'ed me, Cliff seems to be trying to incite something.
    I think Cliff's goals are spelled out quite clearly, and are admirable. A big one being to discuss the performance of knives as cutting tools.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Stamp View Post
    Just think about if your knife should have lower performance than a $5 420J2 stainless steel knives. I expect more from the makers I work with and from the manufacturers I support, and they deliver - it is why I work with and support them.

  11. #71
    Spyderco Forum Registered User hunterseeker5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Usually somewhere on the east coast
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Stamp View Post
    In death we are Robert Paulson.
    I just wanted to highlight quickly that this made my day.



    chuck_roxas45 your problem, and it is a problem, is that you are arguing sentiment versus data. These are not arguments of equal merit on equal footing. There is an excruciatingly strong precedent for people doing this, never for anyone's betterment, and typically it eventually falls apart. Its perfectly fine then to disagree with Cliff, but to do so without contradicting data, you ought poke holes in methodology, some of the vague "quantifications," etc. Saying "well my position is right because everyone does it, isn't an argument. Have you ever actually tried to replicate Cliff's results? Typically thats how science works. If you don't like someone's conclusions for whatever reason, you look at the experiments that lead them to those conclusions. You then can replicate them and show your own results. If an experiment can't be replicated, it is by definition unscientific, so that would poke a pretty major hole in Cliff's argument. Alternately though you could end up with exactly the same conclusion and learn something.


    I have gotten tired of playing word games with you because that's all we're really doing here. You have your preferences and your admiration for Cliff and I have my preferences and skeptism of his testing and his motives.
    I love it how this is always brought up. Its a cute little left handed slight, implying Cliff has some sort of secret agenda. This was the accusation over a decade ago when Cliff preferred INFI for his larger knives, and at the time I'll grant you his experiments had a narrower scope so accusations of bias were easier to make because he condoned fewer manufacturers. Now though, dare I ask who you think his motives are? Which brand is paying him to say wonderful things about them? Or perhaps you think he is just trolling the entire knife industry for his own amusement? Be serious. You aren't even bothering to seriously refute his points, this is just degrading from a "well so and so does/uses therefore it must be better because I like them more/they're more mainstream" to slanderous accusations of sinister motives and bias. The offer is still there: replicate his results, offer a science based refutation or even hypothesis for why he is in error, or just leave it be.

  12. #72
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,814
    Quote Originally Posted by hunterseeker5 View Post
    The offer is still there: replicate his results, offer a science based refutation or even hypothesis for why he is in error, or just leave it be.
    Good luck.

    I trace all of my results back to materials data and physics, so if you refute them you are refuting pretty basic and very well supported data. Not saying it is impossible, but again - good luck, you are going to have to over turn work which is supported by layers of peer reviewed and published data.

    I am also really careful and do blinding, random sampling, heavy / multiple trials and it generally takes me a LONG time to come to a solid conclusion. For example I still have not made a YT video on SM-100 but I would bet I have used it more extensively than anyone else as I am still waiting for one more of the four test blades I had made.

    Not saying it isn't possible, but again, good luck. I can guarantee I am a much more harsh critic of the work I do than anyone else.

    That large table I have going now with the 600 DMT finish. Before I even did that table I did a base run with another finish just to map out basic behaviour and overview the classes, and all of that underlies the work presented. I gather/collect more than 10X the data that is ever released, all of it is just calibration, verification, and similar.

    Quote Originally Posted by BrutallyEffective View Post
    But among the mainstream are people without that level of understanding.
    I think we have to be careful not to segregate ourselves to imply we are some kind of elite users, that is as silly as the warpaint girlies (to quote Uddo). Most of the knives I sharpen locally, which are just for normal people, are ground very thin. I have posted extensive pictures and geometries on the forum. I can travel all over this Island and all of the knives look exactly the same.



    These knives are *five* generations old.

    These knives are (and were) seriously used and thus the performance is/was critical. If you are cutting out cod tongues then you make money by the volume and so the knives are full ground with minimal edge bevels. If I take a standard 0.025"/20 dps knife to any of them then it will be disregarded immediately because it simply isn't "sharp", by which they mean it doesn't cut well.

    I think it is an interesting question as to what the masses use, or what is in general representative but we have to clearly ask what do we want to be representing. We also have to be clear of regional differences. In the time I spent in India I never say anything close to a 0.020"/20 dps bevel. Again, all the working class people sharpened flat to a stone.

    To me it is kind of silly that you pay 10-100X as much as you get a vastly inferior cutting tool, at that point is it really a knife or is it a piece of jewelry?


    Quote Originally Posted by BrutallyEffective View Post
    Do you have a table that contains all three classes of steel, rather than the 3 separate classes?
    Do you mean average the entire thing? That is trivial to do.

    There is a massive table which lists every steel used, however it is pretty incomplete and doesn't really present a true (or at least complete picture). I need to update it to include :

    -extent of damage at the end of the run
    -amount of steel to be removed in sharpening
    -time of sharpening/abrasive required
    -skill/experience required to sharpen

    Actually, another very interesting thing is the performance of the ZT Elmax and a few others, and how poor they were. This really drives home the importance of good heat treating and grinding with respect. The Maker really is so much more important than the steel they have chosen
    Yeah, check out Kyley's knives. When he noted that the Elmax knives had issues he took one of his knives, intentionally burnt it and then had this checked to see if that could be the case. His burnt knife behaved statistically identically to the problematic ones (ZT). His non-mangled one shot up tremendously and is comparable to Elliot's. Roman of course has direct materials data on this and I have shared that as well.

    Along those lines, I think, and Roman agrees, that what we may be seeing is not just over heating in grinding that it could also be decaurb which will his the edge very strongly, especially if they are ground too thin before HT.

    In regards to placebo/bias, this is something I have talked about extensively. In short, if you are not using proper methodology then your results and thus conclusions are going to be dominated by bias such as the placebo effect. This may upset some people but it is the frank reality of experimentation. This is why research is done the way that is it done. No one does blinding, random sampling, multiple trialing because it is so much fun - it is done because it is necessary to know.


    Quote Originally Posted by jumbo View Post
    A big one being to discuss the performance of knives as cutting tools.
    Yeah, obviously a shocking thing to evaluate/discuss.

    Generally, I am not open to looking at anything really, I am an experimentalist so as long as I can do it is very likely if you ask then it will be done. Most of the extreme work I do is almost always at the request of someone asking what would happen. The concrete block thing for example all started with one maker asking me to do it in public on one of his knives (Ray Kirk) due to a number of other makers vastly over promoting both it and the implications. Ray's very thin ground bowie could slam into the concrete with no fracture, just impaction as it was inherent a very tough steel and too far less damage with a far higher cutting ability/geometry than a high carbide steel.
    Last edited by Cliff Stamp; 12-18-2013 at 11:09 AM.

  13. #73
    Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Small City, Philippines
    Posts
    8,042
    Quote Originally Posted by hunterseeker5 View Post

    chuck_roxas45 your problem, and it is a problem,...
    Not at all, the only problem I see is that Cliff's results are so different from a lot of other tests by a lot of other reputable people. Also he's the only one with his particular results. I don't need to do "tests" when my experience has been that the test results from some other people like Ankerson and a few other guys seem to be consistent with what I have experienced in my use.

    It's like Vassily all over again.

    Bottom line is that a lot of people are buying AND using HCV steels. They can't all be blinded by the placebo effect. Their experience is what it is.
    Trust those who seek the truth, but doubt those who say they've found it.



    http://sharpthings.net/chat

    http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

  14. #74
    Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mentor, OH
    Posts
    4,283
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Stamp View Post
    If you are cutting out cod tongues
    Ugh.... Why would you do that? Why would you even WANT to?

    Surely rope or cardboard or something is just as good? (Images of all these poor cod swimming around without tongues)

    Ken
    玉鋼

  15. #75
    Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mentor, OH
    Posts
    4,283
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post

    It's like Vassily all over again.
    No, there will only EVER be one Vassily (I hope! )

    Ken
    玉鋼

  16. #76
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Stuart Ackerman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,157
    I made a bunch of 12C27 knives that no one wants, even though they are similar profiles as my N690 and VG10 blades...which do sell...
    Folk have this idea propagated by the 'Net, that 12C27 is out of date...

    Let us say that someone wants a "super steel" blade and and in his search, someone else rubbishes the "older" steels...
    If he/she is new to the game of knives and steels, they might be swayed by the "older steels are rubbish" frame of thought. and that is their perogative...

    I have S30V steel at home, but I still prefer to use N690 overall...if does what I want, I can sharpen it when and how I want, but if there was only one steel in the world, and that was either 12C27 or AEBL, I would be just as happy to make knives out of the "rubbish" steel " till I run out of money...

    And we have not even started on the angles yet...

  17. #77
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Stuart Ackerman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,157
    ...and if 440C was the only steel...I would equally happy to use it...investment cast or not...

  18. #78
    Spyderco Forum Registered User hunterseeker5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Usually somewhere on the east coast
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    Not at all, the only problem I see is that Cliff's results are so different from a lot of other tests by a lot of other reputable people. Also he's the only one with his particular results. I don't need to do "tests" when my experience has been that the test results from some other people like Ankerson and a few other guys seem to be consistent with what I have experienced in my use.

    It's like Vassily all over again.

    Bottom line is that a lot of people are buying AND using HCV steels. They can't all be blinded by the placebo effect. Their experience is what it is.
    You're falling into the same pits over and over and over again. You quoted the first half of my statement, but its like you just ignored the rest of it. You read "your problem" and then turned your intellect off. Let me offer you the second half of the quote again, to give you another opportunity to comprehend it:

    you are arguing sentiment versus data
    If you'd bothered to understand Ankerson's rankings (which I'll provide here http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...-5-8-quot-rope ) and contrast it against Cliff's rankings (which I'll provide here http://www.cliffstamp.com/knives/reviews/cardboard.html ) you'd have seen that a critical part of their statement is their methodology. While Cliff's is significantly more detailed in his results and broader in his rankings, the two aren't necessarily contradictory.

    Just as an example though, because you apparently hold Ankerson in such high regard, let me draw your attention to something. He places S30v, from two different knives, in both category 5 and category 7. Meanwhile a low carbide volume steel (super blue) and 3V are both up in category 4, performing better than S30v. Your world view then that chemistry and carbide volume are absolute, appear to have been refuted readily by Ankerson as well as Cliff. The irony is that BOTH individuals cite geometry as a critical performance factor.

    Bottom line is that a lot of people are buying AND using HCV steels. They can't all be blinded by the placebo effect. Their experience is what it is.
    No, and I use them as well. Nobody is saying something so simple, if only cutlery were so simple. HCV steels perform better at more "normal" apex angles, such as 15 degrees per side, As you increase the apex angle, you're increasingly handicapping high carbide volume steels as the edge can't perform effectively when the carbides are just tearing out. You'll also note that Ankerson makes a public recognition of the importance of geometry at the top of his chart by saying:
    The Custom Phil Wilson knives in M390 (62) and ELMAX (62) are not added to the data, they wouldn't fit into any of the Categories due to the Optimal HT and cutting ability, the difference is off the scale percentage wise so it wasn't added.
    Not at all, the only problem I see is that Cliff's results are so different from a lot of other tests by a lot of other reputable people.
    Thats just it though, Cliff is testing blades within parameters usually beyond the scope of other tests ergo their results don't necessarily apply and vice versa. Its easy then to conclude, for you to refute them, you would need to replicate the experiments and see if you produced the same results. Otherwise you're comparing apples to oranges. HCV knives are advantaged at lower apex angles (to an extent as a fascinating recent publication of Cliff's showed) but that doesn't necessarily produce optimum cutting geometry.

    It's like Vassily all over again.
    This indicates that either this discussion, and/or the discussions involving Vassily, you fundamentally did not understand. If you subjected his results to statistical analysis, as I do recall, what you realized is that he was losing the signal through very noisy data. What ultimately gave him the boot was his emotional nature when confronted. Even he had a published testing protocol though, which would allow independent attempts to replicate the experiments and I do believe (correct me if I'm wrong Cliff) that Cliff did exactly that.


    Good luck.
    Now now don't be smug Cliff. Replicating your experiments is the basis of good science, particularly for those seriously interested in refuting it. Lets go out on an insane limb here and say Chuck was actually serious about contradicting you, rather than just saying "well everyone else agrees with me so I must be right by default." (which, amusingly, in this thread isn't the case) If he replicated your experiments there are a few possibilities:
    1) He reproduces your results and is forced to cede the point
    2) He fails to reproduce your results because your experiments are actually fake/imaginary/etc
    3) He reproduces your results, but is unwilling to cede the point so discards the results arbitrarily as invalid
    4) He fails to reproduce your results due to some protocol infidelity

    Or alternately he can take option 5 which is:
    5) with zero specific or otherwise cited experimental data or even a flawed methodology hypothesis, he continues to publicly lambaste you based on his own sentiment

    Did I miss an option?

    *edit*
    I should note by the way that, before you go call me a Cliff "shill" based solely on the fact that I disagree with you, I disagree with some of Cliff's arguments pretty frequently and we have fun butting heads over it. Unless he is secretly shaking his head saying "what a moron" :P , I assume its just an activity we both enjoy I certainly learn from, and maybe I even score the odd point against him on. When you take the debate though from hypothetical technical to simply inane, something is definitively lost.
    Last edited by hunterseeker5; 12-18-2013 at 02:40 PM.

  19. #79
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    Not at all, the only problem I see is that Cliff's results are so different from a lot of other tests by a lot of other reputable people. Also he's the only one with his particular results. I don't need to do "tests" when my experience has been that the test results from some other people like Ankerson and a few other guys seem to be consistent with what I have experienced in my use.

    It's like Vassily all over again.

    Bottom line is that a lot of people are buying AND using HCV steels. They can't all be blinded by the placebo effect. Their experience is what it is.
    Hi. I'm a long time reader rather than a poster on this forum and I have been following the interesting stream of information flowing on this thread

    Hi Sal, I hope you will welcome me to contribute here occasionally.

    Chuck_roxas45. I find the angle you are taking with your above quote to be ignorant of the development of experience and learning rather than proof of the truth of experience.

    There was a time when the majority of people held the view that the earth was flat and those few scientists that actually tested new ideas and broke ground discovered very interesting things about our flat world. They were harassed fairly well because the majority of people experienced a flat earth and lacked the ability or presence of mind to seek deeper knowledge.

    I hope you can see the similarity between your approach and proofs against Cliffs methodology in what you are saying?

    Do you agree that we should have stayed on a flat earth and have no tech or internet because the majority were incapable of experiencing the truth or understanding the value it could have in their lives?

    The interesting thing about advancement is that most naysayers don't want to give up such advancements in thinking once the majority have been swayed.

    Cliff is seeking knowledge. There is a good chance that at some point in time knowledge gained will then be utilized by sal and other companies to the betterment of the product. Especially when you look at the release of knives such as spydercos zero ground folding pukko. The s30v didn't handle the geometry well. In the future sal might choose to try again using a razor blade steel that can easily support 62rc at that geometry.

    Finally. To both sal and chuck_....

    I find the continual use of cliffy in a derogatory manner insulting to him and annoying to read. It's against the rules I just read when I signed up.

    If that is the tone you want to have when you disagree rather than courteous dialog then it's really a shame to have rules of conduct. Cliff chooses to use his real information unlike most. That should give reason to harass.

    I also use my real name on every other internet service available.
    I chose not to here after watching the insult to his name here. My name is funny enough without having someone intentionally mangle it.

    Merry Xmas to everyone here.

  20. #80
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Stuart Ackerman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,157
    That is indeed reality biting...no pun intended...

    Sorry if I go off thread...

    I too resisted the "thoughts" of Cliff years ago when I read his tests on the 'Net...how could someone be THAT intense...?

    I tried what he did with my limited resources...I now think I understand what Cliff says, when he says it...

    Because it makes sense in practice...it is tangible for a simple bloke like me, and it works...

    More of what is wrong, is still wrong...more of what is right, should still be right...

    Facts are repeatable, given similar circumstances...

    Right...back on thread again, folks...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •