Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 141

Thread: SM-35M50 Micromelt Steel looks amazing!

  1. #1
    Suspended
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    10

    SM-35M50 Micromelt Steel looks amazing!

    Has anyone heard of this steel before? It looks incredible! 3.45% carbon, 8% tungsten, 11.5% vanadium, 5% cobalt, 19% chromium, plus smaller amounts of other alloys. Is said to have the wear resistance of CPM 15V at 65 HRC, and the toughness and compressive strength of INFI. Also is said to have the rust resistance of CPM D2. Are there any downsides to this steel? It doesn't seem to have a tradeoff. Is spyderco willing to use this stuff on future knives?

  2. #2
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Forest, VA
    Posts
    1,469
    Can't find anything about it online, can you link the page you got the specs from?
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

    Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, Super Blue Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, Super Blue Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Yojimbo2, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, Super Blue Stretch

    Chris

  3. #3
    Spyderco Forum Registered User razorsharp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,763
    sounds like CPM Unobtanium V
    -Travis
    Come chat with us on IRC

    Visit the knife picture site http://sharpthings.net/
    Super-steel Nut

    To the sharpening junkies: SHOW THOSE EDGES!
    Spyderco Knives- Tuff- Southard- Caly 3.5 Superblue- Dragonfly H1 SE- Resilience
    Others- Dalibor Sirius- Strider SnG- Ozark Tradition DC Slicer
    Inbound: Curtiss Nano- Zero Tolerance 0777

  4. #4
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Forest, VA
    Posts
    1,469
    Quote Originally Posted by razorsharp View Post
    sounds like CPM Unobtanium V
    Now THAT is a bear to grind. It wore down my grinding wheel, then my bench grinder. Then the bench fell apart.
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

    Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, Super Blue Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, Super Blue Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Yojimbo2, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, Super Blue Stretch

    Chris

  5. #5
    Spyderco Forum Registered User nirvanero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    530
    Srg. Trollski?

  6. #6
    Spyderco Forum Registered User The Mastiff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    raleigh nc
    Posts
    3,288
    Srg. Trollski?
    Heh!

    I'll forge some up on my Bic lighter powered forge. By carefully shaping the airstream entering I am able to get over 2700 degrees F with near supersonic speed air powered by my ex wifes hair dryer. I can carefully control grain growth and can keep the size down to only.177 inch ( standard BB size).

    My first batch just blew away though as somebody forgot to sinter all those expensive elements into a workable ingot. I'll get it right next time.
    "A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800


    "Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"

  7. #7
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    148
    Yep, I think someone might be playing with us here.

  8. #8
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Central NY
    Posts
    737
    Quote Originally Posted by PMBohol View Post
    Yep, I think someone might be playing with us here.
    Third time's the charm?

  9. #9
    Spyderco Forum Registered User nirvanero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    530
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mastiff View Post
    Heh!

    I'll forge some up on my Bic lighter powered forge. By carefully shaping the airstream entering I am able to get over 2700 degrees F with near supersonic speed air powered by my ex wifes hair dryer. I can carefully control grain growth and can keep the size down to only.177 inch ( standard BB size).

    My first batch just blew away though as somebody forgot to sinter all those expensive elements into a workable ingot. I'll get it right next time.
    So all those rumours about SM-35M50 were true...

  10. #10
    Suspended
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    10
    Actually I'm not playing with anyone, its an alloy developed by micromax industries with permission from carpenter steel. It was originally developed for use on the moon rover for blades, but it never went into production. It uses a two stage micromelt process, with the cobalt injected into the steel matrix in its annealed state. They have to re melt it down go do this, very complex

  11. #11
    Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Virginia
    Posts
    3,215
    It sounds very complex...and very expensive...

    TedP

  12. #12
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Buck Knives I Like's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by Srg. Trollski View Post
    Has anyone heard of this steel before? It looks incredible! 3.45% carbon, 8% tungsten, 11.5% vanadium, 5% cobalt, 19% chromium, plus smaller amounts of other alloys. Is said to have the wear resistance of CPM 15V at 65 HRC, and the toughness and compressive strength of INFI. Also is said to have the rust resistance of CPM D2. Are there any downsides to this steel? It doesn't seem to have a tradeoff. Is spyderco willing to use this stuff on future knives?
    Quote Originally Posted by Srg. Trollski View Post
    Actually I'm not playing with anyone, its an alloy developed by micromax industries with permission from carpenter steel. It was originally developed for use on the moon rover for blades, but it never went into production. It uses a two stage micromelt process, with the cobalt injected into the steel matrix in its annealed state. They have to re melt it down go do this, very complex

    Rofl.
    Last edited by Buck Knives I Like; 05-15-2013 at 07:55 AM.

  13. #13
    Spyderco Forum Registered User The Mastiff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    raleigh nc
    Posts
    3,288
    Actually I'm not playing with anyone, its an alloy developed by micromax industries with permission from carpenter steel

    Which Micromax?

    The protective clothing company in Lakeland? http://www.lakeland.com/lmicromaxNS.shtml

    Or the mobile phone company in Mumbai ( formerly Bombay)http://www.micromaxindia.com/

    Carpenter/Latrobe has no information on the product.

    Actually making the steel sounds plausible. There are some very highly alloyed steels out there. Giving the steel the properties you quoted:
    3.45% carbon, 8% tungsten, 11.5% vanadium, 5% cobalt, 19% chromium, plus smaller amounts of other alloys. Is said to have the wear resistance of CPM 15V at 65 HRC, and the toughness and compressive strength of INFI. Also is said to have the rust resistance of CPM D2. Are there any downsides to this steel? It doesn't seem to have a tradeoff. Is spyderco willing to use this stuff on future knives?
    sounds pretty much impossible. This high a carbide fraction having the wear resistance of 15V is possible, but not having the strength and toughness of Infi, a .50 Carbon low alloy steel is virtually impossible. The whole concept goes against what is known of metallurgy. It doesn't make sense at all.

    Do you recall where you heard of this Sgt. Trollski? I'm very curious.

    Joe
    "A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800


    "Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"

  14. #14
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Buck Knives I Like's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mastiff View Post
    Do you recall where you heard of this Sgt. Trollski? I'm very curious
    -_-

  15. #15
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Buck Knives I Like's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    331
    You have all stopped me but apparently my shriek for backup has been heard. ( Similar to the call a werewolf makes before its about to die. )
    Last edited by Buck Knives I Like; 05-15-2013 at 08:35 AM.

  16. #16
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    3,463
    Mr. McBeevee.

  17. #17
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    338
    this is the PM version of Rosta Frei steel, correct?

  18. #18
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,535
    Quote Originally Posted by Srg. Trollski View Post
    Has anyone heard of this steel before? It looks incredible! 3.45% carbon, 8% tungsten, 11.5% vanadium, 5% cobalt, 19% chromium, plus smaller amounts of other alloys. Is said to have the wear resistance of CPM 15V at 65 HRC, and the toughness and compressive strength of INFI. Also is said to have the rust resistance of CPM D2. Are there any downsides to this steel? It doesn't seem to have a tradeoff. Is spyderco willing to use this stuff on future knives?
    I applaude your effort for using a lot of words, but this steel has a pretty poor performance combination :

    -it has 70% more carbon that maxamet, yet the obtainable hardness is 59/60 (that is the compression strength of INFI)
    -it has 19% chromium, but is only able to achieve the corrosion resistance of D2 (that isn't effected by PM, so it has about 5-7% free chromium)
    -it has a much higher carbide volume than 15V, but just matches its wear resistance

    Does it also have :

    -the toughness of solid sintered pure ceramic
    -the grindability of nanotwinned cubic boron nitride
    -the hardenability of white paper steel
    -the ease of sharpening of as-cast 121 REX
    -the ductility of annealed S125V

  19. #19
    Spyderco Forum Registered User razorsharp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,763
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodEyeSniper View Post
    this is the PM version of Rosta Frei steel, correct?
    Da best steel mon
    -Travis
    Come chat with us on IRC

    Visit the knife picture site http://sharpthings.net/
    Super-steel Nut

    To the sharpening junkies: SHOW THOSE EDGES!
    Spyderco Knives- Tuff- Southard- Caly 3.5 Superblue- Dragonfly H1 SE- Resilience
    Others- Dalibor Sirius- Strider SnG- Ozark Tradition DC Slicer
    Inbound: Curtiss Nano- Zero Tolerance 0777

  20. #20
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Scottie3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Goldsboro, NC
    Posts
    970
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Stamp View Post
    I applaude your effort for using a lot of words, but this steel has a pretty poor performance combination :

    -it has 70% more carbon that maxamet, yet the obtainable hardness is 59/60 (that is the compression strength of INFI)
    -it has 19% chromium, but is only able to achieve the corrosion resistance of D2 (that isn't effected by PM, so it has about 5-7% free chromium)
    -it has a much higher carbide volume than 15V, but just matches its wear resistance

    Does it also have :

    -the toughness of solid sintered pure ceramic
    -the grindability of nanotwinned cubic boron nitride
    -the hardenability of white paper steel
    -the ease of sharpening of as-cast 121 REX
    -the ductility of annealed S125V
    Thanks for some expertise Cliff!

    Edit: I think this thread is about a month and a half late.
    Last edited by Scottie3000; 05-15-2013 at 01:50 PM.
    On order: CF S110V Native, Superblue Stretch
    Current pocket hog: Domino
    Next up: Bolstered Cocobolo Stretch???

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •