Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Be careful, fake military launched

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Hey guys, just received a fake from a seller on eBay. Needless to say I was not happy, knife is going back tomorrow. The knife I received is exactly like the pictures shown above, the quality at first glance is pretty good. The biggest giveaway is the non blasted liner. The fake has stonewashed liners. The only other differences are less grippy g10 and a slightly different finish on the clip.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    this is getting pathetic...
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User polyhexamethyl's Avatar
    I'm sorry to hear that, man!
    I wasn't able to watch the video!
    did you make a comparison of the knife and are you able to spot some differences!
    aogami super blue dragonfly!

Spyderco Forum Registered User dialex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by endgame View Post
    They are so good at making copies if they put there time in there own style and brand maybe they could make a name for themselves and not steel from others its such a waste of time
    My thoughts exactly.
    The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.

That's one reason that I only buy from reputable dealers, even if the price is higher.
    I know that many use Ebay and what-not, but I never have, I'm a bit old school though.
    Last edited by BAL; 06-04-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    That's a really good fake. Would have fooled me. Scary...
    I always heard that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but then you catch even more flies with poop

http://sharpthings.net/chat

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

Spyderco Forum Registered User Senate's Avatar
    post1 is scary!
    i thought the photos showed a real one and they would send the cheap imitations from post 4...
    Alexandre.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Spyderco WTC#1978

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by endgame View Post
    They are so good at making copies if they put there time in there own style and brand maybe they could make a name for themselves and not steel from others its such a waste of time
    I really think a big part of copying things is to save money from the engineering/design of the item, aside from obviously making the item cheaper and selling it for the same price.

As for the original pic, the bug logo on the blade looks funny to me, as does the clip for some reason. The coating looks more like paint than what Spyderco uses.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Hi,

who is the seller of fake military? I would like to buy an original spyderco military and I have found this at a very good price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-Mil...8&cmd=ViewItem

How can I recognize a fake one? thank you very much!

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xiuxiu1313 View Post
    Hey guys, just received a fake from a seller on eBay. Needless to say I was not happy, knife is going back tomorrow. The knife I received is exactly like the pictures shown above, the quality at first glance is pretty good. The biggest giveaway is the non blasted liner. The fake has stonewashed liners. The only other differences are less grippy g10 and a slightly different finish on the clip.

I was examining my Military while watching your video and think I noticed another tell-tale sign. Is the smooth side of the pivot screw flat with the scale or does it have dome (crown) to it?
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Quote Originally Posted by Sile86 View Post
    Hi,

who is the seller of fake military? I would like to buy an original spyderco military and I have found this at a very good price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-Mil...8&cmd=ViewItem

How can I recognize a fake one? thank you very much!
    This is 100% fake, the seller is a crook. Look at the sellers post history - he previously sold a Microtech Troodon and the photos he used are exactly the same as a fake seller on Aliexpress.

You need to use some common sense. Why would a random guy (not a knife dealer) have a whole bunch of Military models at cheaper price than dealers?

Quote Originally Posted by chooney View Post
    This is 100% fake, the seller is a crook. Look at the sellers post history - he previously sold a Microtech Troodon and the photos he used are exactly the same as a fake seller on Aliexpress.

You need to use some common sense. Why would a random guy (not a knife dealer) have a whole bunch of Military models at cheaper price than dealers?
    In fact, I was almost sure it was a fake..........but why these sellers are not removed from ebay?

Spyderco Forum Registered User FCM415's Avatar
    They copied it down to the box... What the heck. Time for Spyderco to change box design?

That seller drunkPinocchio, I was going to purchase a Millie from him today because of the price. I remembered though that fakes are hitting the market. I checked back here first and lo and behold his sale is being linked here.

Horrible.
    Upcoming: N5 CF/S110v, N5 LWT, DragonFly SB, Marcin Slysz Bowie, Farid Mehr K2, Peter Carey Rubicon, Gayle Bradley Fixed Blade, Phil Wilson Sprig, Mule Team 4V

(Some) Wishes: Native5 CHIEF, Sub 4 inch versions of the Mehr K2 and Carey Rubicon, More M4 and Use CPM-154!

What do you think about a list of good and bad seller?

Quote Originally Posted by Barman View Post
    Thank you!

Can anyone tell me if this is a real one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181094578863...84.m1438.l2649

Any guidance appreciated.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAiello View Post

Looking at Blade Forums someone mentioned they are out of Chicago but I can't find them on the Spyderco "Dealer" page from the website.

I would call Spyderco and ask if they are a dealer, if not, buy from someone else. It's $19 more from Cutlery Shoppe but guaranteed to be real.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

I assume 4.2 pounds is the "shipping weight" including packaging and padding, and always overstated to give a margin for error in postage.

Blerv, thanks, I'll call Spyderco tomorrow and inquire. I may just go with Cutlery Shoppe anyway, because I'd prefer to patronize a business in Idaho than one in Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAiello View Post

It is an outdoors store with very high feedback and the full range of Spyderco products (including some that are not made by Chinese fakers). So there is no reason to suspect it is fake.

The guys you need to be suspicious of are small-time sellers who appear to ONLY have commonly faked knives. Not big dealers who have lots of brands and models.

For example, look at the seller linked by Sile86 above. Just some random guy, with only 98 feedback, and if you look at his completed listings, pretty much ALL his sales are commonly faked knives. Lots and lots of Spyderco Military models, some Microtech knives (commonly faked), some Chris Reeve knives (commonly faked). Pretty much every knife he has sold are the ones that are notorious for being faked - that should set off alarm bells in your head.

He bought Microtech knives for $30 (I know the exact seller he got them from because he used the same photos in his ebay advert) and then sold them for $340. He has literally made thousands of dollars profit by selling some fake Military models and Microtech models. I hope Spyderco deal with this crook he gets thrown in jail because there is NO way he is accidentally selling fakes, it is deliberate criminality.

an homage or a design copy is questionable at best, but to outright counterfeit, including logos and names, is simply, black and white, JUST WRONG!!!!
    i'm sorry but i don't wish the manufacturers or retailers of these any good at all.