Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Be careful, fake military launched

Spyderco Forum Registered User 224477's Avatar

Be careful, fake military launched

qoute from chinese seller
    all my item shipping by hongkong post, free shipping. thanks.

Model: C36GPE
    Overall length: 241mm
    Tool length: 102mm
    Closed length: 139mm
    Blade material: CPM-S30V (i think not real, thanks)
    Hardness: 60HRC
    Surface: satin finish
    Blade thickness: 4mm
    Handle length: 139mm
    Handle material: G10
    Lock: line lock
    Weight: 120g

I found that on aliexpress com, be carefull and buy from reputable dealers. From these pics, I am not able to tell any give aways.
    "Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."

Spyderco Forum Registered User WireEdge Roger's Avatar
    Do you think they took a picture of a real Military, and then the one you get in the mail is the fake? That's a really good fake if it's truly a fake one pictured!

The G-10 texture doesn't look right, but other things are really well done.

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    I agree, the G-10 texture is the only thing that looks off. A very good copy and I love the B.S. disclaimer about the steel.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

They already sell a sterile model in chinese D2 steel /9cr18mov/ but that is probably another maker, due the massive screws. The black looks diff. and more 'real'.

Unfortunately I have only pics, I do not plan to buy any of these to examine.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jim Malone's Avatar
    Damn, those copies are getting better and better. I wonder when they will become so good we as forumites won't be able to see the difference?
    It's better to be judged by 12 then to be carried by 6

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    They are so good at making copies if they put there time in there own style and brand maybe they could make a name for themselves and not steel from others its such a waste of time

If they get any better it might be worth offering them a contract to produce knives legitimately.

I don't think that S30V is easily available in China. It's probably something like 9Cr18MoV.
    Last edited by Freman; 05-11-2013 at 02:51 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User kennethsime's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freman View Post
    If they get any better it might be worth offering them a contract to produce knives legitimately.

I don't think that S30V is easily available in China. It's probably something like 9Cr18MoV.
    My question is this:

If the point is they're making knock-offs, lying about their product, from whence comes the assumption that they are using a cutlery steel at all, and not just some mild steel?

Quote Originally Posted by kennethsime View Post
    My question is this:

If the point is they're making knock-offs, lying about their product, from whence comes the assumption that they are using a cutlery steel at all, and not just some mild steel?
    I've handled counterfeits, not of Spydercos but of other brands. They don't use mild steel, they do use some variety of stainless. Why not use stainless? It's cheap enough for Sanrenmu to put it in a $6 knife. These copies are upwards of $60 which in Chinese terms is over $150 for a US made knife. Whilst they won't have a top quality heat treatment, and they're certainly not S30V, they're not made of mild steel either.

I think purpose of this topic is to inform people to be aware and cautious in existence of fake models.

Fake Millie comes in three color variations.

Can believe how good the box looks man they should be making counterfeit money

Spyderco Forum Registered User Fresh Eddie Fresh's Avatar
    Yikes! Those are getting too close to looking like a real one for comfort.

Ye gods, I know that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but that's taking flattery far to far.

Whatcha gonna do Sal ? This is not a Thanx moment.
    O.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar
    Dang, those look accurate. The only hints I see is that the text on the blades looks just slightly off of the correct position and the G-10 texture doesn't look quite right. But unless you were really into Spyderco knives, you might never know the difference!
    -Kyle

On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: Des Horn, Dialex Junior, Super Blue Manbug

Opinel Nr.8 Inox, Svord Peasant, Mule k390, Gayle Bradley Air, Gayle Bradley, S90V Military, Cruwear Military, Cruwear Military Collectors #13V, SuperBlue Stretch, Butch Vallotton Subhilt, Manix2 CTS-XHP, CPM-M4-Ti Military CF Scales, Para2 (xhp,m390,20cp,204p) , Laguiole Mandailles, Laguiole BrutdeForge Lame bélier doublePlatines, Laguiole enAubrac 13cm Lame Horn handle, Benchmade MINI ONSLAUGHT 746-1201 (Nr. 166 of 500)

Spyderco Forum Registered User polyhexamethyl's Avatar
    is that something like a delayed april fools thing?

these millies look so real, that i'm not sure anymore, if mine is an original!
    also very interesting, is, what steel they really use, because, it obviously can't be S30V.
    aogami super blue dragonfly!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jeremy_A_Neel's Avatar
    Really, they could put an rfid chip in the scales of knives to id them as real.
    "If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law

Quote Originally Posted by polyhexamethyl View Post
    is that something like a delayed april fools thing?

these millies look so real, that i'm not sure anymore, if mine is an original!
    also very interesting, is, what steel they really use, because, it obviously can't be S30V.
    No real way to know, unless there's a method of determining the metal composition of a finished product. It's certainly not S30V, getting that in China would cost the manufacturer more than the knife is worth. As I understand it, the premium knife steel that Chinese makers have easy access to is 9Cr18MoV (which I think Sal has done some test knives in) and that knife is priced in their premium range. If they built the knives in Cr12Mo1V1, which is a Chinese equivalent of D2, it would be interesting, but I think the extra machining costs would put them off that, and knives I've handled that claim D2 don't patina which suggests they're really a true stainless like 9Cr.

Spyderco Forum Registered User defenestrate's Avatar
    Wow. I strongly dislike these fakes but admit that it took some skill and attention to detail to make these kinds of copies.

I think the lockbar looks a bit dingy and dinky for a though.
    I don't get mad. I get..Stabby.
    -Fat Tony