Thread: DMT stones, duosharp (holes) or diasharp (no holes)

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar

DMT stones, duosharp (holes) or diasharp (no holes)

For anyone considering DMT stones this is a pretty big decision to make. IMO the difference in performance is very small for the stone grits X thru E (eXtra-coarse thru Extra-fine). But with the EE (Extra-Extra fine) I have found the duo (holes) to be a very USELESS stone. It leaves a scratch pattern closer to that of a fine grit, maybe extra-fine. I have never tried a dia-sharp (no holes) EE stone. But recently I read where someone considers the dia-sharp continuous surface stones to perform as a finer grit than the same grit using duo-sharp stones. So, while I regard DMT's EE grit a poor investment I'd like to get opinions of anyone's opinion of how different (if any) the two type stones perform, expecially any difference in the EE grit stone in the EE grit. I love how my E grit continuous surface stone performs but have decided not to buy the EE continuous stone based just on my experience with the duo-sharp EE grit.

I thought a discussion on the difference in performance might be interesting and possibly help someone who may be considering DMT stones. Personally, I prefer the continuous surface and would like opinions on the EE grit using both types. Does anyone have a continuous EE grit stone that leaves a "smoother" scratch pattern than the E grit stone? There is a definate difference in the F and E scratch pattern. Is there any difference in the E and EE fine grits using continuous DMT stones?

Another personal preference is once I hit the "fine" grit area I prefer the Spyderco stones. Especially the fine and UF grits. That UF stone is nothing short of amazing IMO. So while I have no real desire to buy a DMT EE grit continuous stone I'd like to know how it does compared to the E grit continuous stone. Thanks for any help.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    As always, I enjoy reading your sharpening/stone threads! I learn alot!

I have the Spyderco set and considering getting a DMT Diasharp coarse stone.

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Jack,

I have seen similar results with my Duosharp (actually the aligner 4" stones) E stones vs. the EE. I thought it could be my defective stone and was planning to send it to you to compare to your newer version. I believe you sent it to Clip for comparison a while back. The E pattern is much more even and consistent where the EE leaves deeper gouges in the finish.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mike View Post
    As always, I enjoy reading your sharpening/stone threads! I learn alot!

I have the Spyderco set and considering getting a DMT Diasharp coarse stone.
    The coarse DMT is a perfect next stone to use with the Spyderco stones IMO. I don't have the med Spyderco but a fellow forum buddy sent me one to try recently. I like the stone but don't need to buy one because I have the DMT fine grit which is a pretty close grit. I also have the DMT E stone (8") and it is close to the Spyderco fine grit. In fact in a grit progression I can go from the DMT fine grit to the DMT E or the Spyderco fine grit. Then I use the Spyderco UF stone. If you have the Spyderco med. stone a DMT coarse is a great choice for progression. Don't know if you (or anyone) is interested in 2x6" DMT stones but "sharpeningsupplies.com" has a two stone set in a wooden box for $77. One stone has X and C on opposite sides and the other stone has F and E. I got this set a couple of years ago when it was on sale. So I use it when I need something coarser than my DMT fine grit. Since I don't use the C and X grits that often I have lived with the 6" size. The 6" size is also nice to flatten EP stones. That set is just FYI. It's also a great small set if you take stones places. But since you have the Spyderco stones you don't need the DMT F and E.

Here's the link for the 2 stone, 4 grit DMT 6" stone set: http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/DM...it-P404C3.aspx
    I only bring it back up because I really like this set. I would much rather use the 8" DMT stones but if anyone needs (wants) all 4 grits at a bargain price, the 6" stones can do anything the 8 inchers do. Please buy at least one set. My 10 starving kids need shoes and I own DMT stock. Kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    Jack,

I have seen similar results with my Duosharp (actually the aligner 4" stones) E stones vs. the EE. I thought it could be my defective stone and was planning to send it to you to compare to your newer version. I believe you sent it to Clip for comparison a while back. The E pattern is much more even and consistent where the EE leaves deeper gouges in the finish.
    I am really interested for someone to comment on any difference in the EE continuous surface compared to the corregated surface. DMT (Stan Watson) did send me a 4" aligner EE grit stone. It wasn't even broken in as much as mine is. I tried to break it in more but was still unsuccessful at getting it to leave a smoother, prettier finish on a bevel than my E stones. I was speaking out of place but I wrote DMT an email suggesting they stop production on the EE grit and spend the money making 1"x6" stones on blanks for the EP. Didn't hear anything back on that. Anyway, I got the stone back from Clip and I think his opinion was about the same as mine. It's still a good stone as long as you don't consider it a really fine grit stone. Think of it as a fine grit or extra-fine and it works just fine. I think kbuzbee has the continuous DMT EE stone and I'm hoping he puts his 2 cents in. Sometimes his 2 cents is worth 3 cents. Not worth 4 cents though. Sorry Ken. I'll send you the 4" stone if you don't have one. If you do have one the one I have is of no real use to you. Other than the EE fine grit corrogated stone I am very happy with all the DMT products I've used. I would like to try the Atoma stones but I consider them a bit out of my price range since I'm happy with the DMT stones.
    Last edited by jackknifeh; 12-12-2013 at 06:15 PM.

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).