Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M390 Super Steel

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Texas; south end of Toledo Bend Reservoir

M390 Super Steel

Are any of you fellows (and gals) familiar with the M390 Super Steel? I broke down and bought a Benchmade Barrage 581, G10 and Al Handles, M390 Super Steel, Plain Edge a few days ago.

It is still too early for me to give a true evaluation of how I feel about it, but after a couple of days, I think it may end up being one of my favorite knives.

I sharpened it yesterday using Edge Pro to about 30 degrees. New profile and it did take some time, but I had no trouble getting a super Sharp edge on it. I like a somewhat semi aggressive edge so I never put a real good mirror edge on it.

This 76 year old man does not especially care about spring assisted opening knives, but again, I think I can get used to it and like it. I selected it on using these guide lines: 1) Had to be M390 steel, 2) Small enough for EDC, 3) And looks.

It is a solid extremely well built knife. Just a tad too heavy for me for EDC, but I think I will have no trouble getting used to it.

Bert

You should get the blue Paramilitary 2 with M390.

I bought the Benchmade MPR a few months back. I really like the knife, but I'm not thrilled with the heat treatment. The wear resistance just doesn't seem to be there as compared to some of my other high wear resistance knives, which, admitted, are all from Spyderco. Perhaps I'm just spoiled by the Spyderco heat treat. The M390 on my MPR is easy to sharpen, but just doesn't hold up to cardboard cutting like my ZDP and 20CV knives. I'm getting all rolling and no chipping so I suspect that my knife just isn't hard enough to extract all of the potential that the steel chemistry has to offer.

Thank you Fancier. That is the kind of info I was looking for. I will report back on how mine holds up in a month or two.

I do have several Spydercos, one of which is/was ZDP which my nephew "beat" me out of. I just sharpened it for him 3 or 4 days ago. He is rough on a knife. It did not roll, but had several small chips in it.

And sdblue I do own a Paramilitary 2 with S30V which I do like, but I just did not want another Paramilitary 2.

Bert

I just dropped the money to get a M390 Military. I wanted a Military, and I wanted some Spyderco M390, so I figured it was cheaper to buy one knife and get both at the same time. I'll let you know how it performs.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jtoler_9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancier View Post
    I bought the Benchmade MPR a few months back. I really like the knife, but I'm not thrilled with the heat treatment.
    What's wrong with the heat treatment? Is there a low RC hardness on your MPR? Any pics of the rolling? Any vids of the cut tests you have done? I would love to see them. Thanks.

Spyderco Forum Registered User DCDesigns's Avatar
    I love m390, my mule is freaking amazing. Im not happy I am having to sell it! M390 has impressed me in just about every way. Its easy to sharpen, and hold an edge much much longer than expected. Putting my s30v knives to shame...

It is still too early for me to make a comment about the M390 used in my knife other than I can put a super sharp edge on it without any trouble at all using my Edge Pro. I will say this old man is flipping out however on the spring assisted opening feature on this knife. This is the first knife I have owned that has this feature. I am amazed and truly surprised. I really like the dang feature!

Bert

jtoler, I'll respond to your request for information as best I can. I occasionally break down cardboard boxes at work, and I've not been impressed with the condition of the edge on my MPR at the end of the day as compared to other knives that I own. I never claimed to have brought any level of scientific rigor to my evaluation, I'm simply stating what I've seen through a hand lens and mentioned the conclusions that I've drawn. While I appreciate your desire to further diagnose the source of my lack of complete satisfaction with my Benchmade knife, I'm afraid that I am not equipped to answer your questions and we'll just have to be satisfied leaving it at that.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jtoler_9's Avatar
    jtoler, I'll respond to your request for information as best I can. I occasionally break down cardboard boxes at work, and I've not been impressed with the condition of the edge on my MPR at the end of the day as compared to other knives that I own. I never claimed to have brought any level of scientific rigor to my evaluation, I'm simply stating what I've seen through a hand lens and mentioned the conclusions that I've drawn. While I appreciate your desire to further diagnose the source of my lack of complete satisfaction with my Benchmade knife, I'm afraid that I am not equipped to answer your questions and we'll just have to be satisfied leaving it at that.
    Thanks for the reply. I have been thinking about adding an MPR to the mix so I was interested in your evaluation. Thanks again for the info.

Spyderco Forum Registered User 78lilred's Avatar

Love my m390 knife, used mostly for fishing - cutting braided/fluorocarbon line. Worked great to cut a few holes in some bias ply front runners also.
    M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.

jtoler, the MPR is by no means a bad knife, and if I didn't own knives in ZDP and 20CV I'd be perfectly happy with it. It simply requires a bit more touching up than I was expecting from "the latest super steel".

I've had the Mili M390 for a couple of days now and it does appear to be more wear resistant than my Benchmade 755 is. Small sample size, just two knives, but used similarly the Spyderco is holding an edge better, without any edge rolling so far while cutting cardboard.

After a week or so, the unscientific observations by me of the M390 on my Barrage 581 sharpened to a 30 degree angle with an Edge Pro is that it loses it's arm hair shaving edge very fast without any rolling or chipping, but then maintains a very sharp paper slicing edge forever after that.

Bert

And now that I've read the S30V heat treating thread in the "On Topic" forum I guess you can disregard anything I've ever said about a knife.

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    And now that I've read the S30V heat treating thread in the "On Topic" forum I guess you can disregard anything I've ever said about a knife.
    It seems the evil knife manufacturers have been pulling the rug over our eyes the whole time and it's all just a placebo effect.

I have a 581 Barrage on order, hoping it will arrive this week. With my blue para 2 that makes 2 knives for me in M390. I have read that spyderco does a better job with their heat treat.

Right Chuck. If I start a knife company I'm going to call it "Placebo Cutlery", declare that the knives are made from the "latest super steel", use a wildly aggressive grind and blade shape, and not spend a cent on quality control because it doesn't exist in the real world anyway. My knives will out cut everything else based solely on the customer's expectation. I've been such a fool until now! My fancy knives cut because I will them too! I don't need better knives, I just need better marketing! Wait a minute, I think I just described (knife company name redacted to prevent controversy).

All that said, I still really like my M390 Millie...

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    Right Chuck. If I start a knife company I'm going to call it "Placebo Cutlery", declare that the knives are made from the "latest super steel", use a wildly aggressive grind and blade shape, and not spend a cent on quality control because it doesn't exist in the real world anyway. My knives will out cut everything else based solely on the customer's expectation. I've been such a fool until now! My fancy knives cut because I will them too! I don't need better knives, I just need better marketing! Wait a minute, I think I just described (knife company name redacted to prevent controversy).
    Hehehe. Only if you can beat me to starting a company like that because it seems that it will be such a money maker.

I just need to have Cliff keep quiet so the people won't realize that they all the same anyway.

All that said, I still really like my M390 Millie...

Me too...and my blue para too.