Thread: Spyderco MoonGlow Manix 2 comparison 1st and 2nd run

Spyderco Forum Registered User tommybbq's Avatar

Spyderco MoonGlow Manix 2 comparison 1st and 2nd run

I just purchased a Manix2 moonglow and I don't have a clue which sprint run it is. Does anyone have a side by side comparison of the Manix2 Moonglow? Is there a difference and if so, what is the difference so I can figure this thing out?
    Thanks in advance.
    Tommy Bessinger

Spyderco Forum Registered User Gunslinger's Avatar
    The 2nd run will be transparent, and doesn't glow quite as bright as the 1st run. The picture is of my 2nd run Moonglow Manix2, I don't have a 1st run.

Notice how you can see the liners.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Stormy's Avatar
    I have a 1st run moonglow Manix 2. Gunslinger is correct - you can't see the liners. I also have an EDC moonglow knife (I think it's a Native. I haven't gotten it out in a while) from a few years ago.. The glow from recent 1st run moonglow Manix is incredibly bright. It's like a night light in a dark bedroom. And it's still got a pretty good glow after 8+ hours.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Here are a few pictures I found on Google to help with the topic. I am tempted to get a 2nd run version, I kind of like how you can see the liners.

-Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    the second run def looks nicer imo
    Top Picks: Chaparral 2, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Ladybug 3

-----Dreaming of: M4 Bird & Trout collaboration with Phil Wilson-----

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Those comparison pics between the 1st and 2nd runs are interesting. I have heard several people comment that the 2nd run doesn't glow quite as much as the first run.

I got my first GITD Manix as part of the first run, and the 2nd one I ordered later when Jon had mentioned he still had some from the 2nd run available, so I always thought I had one of each run, but my 2nd one must have been left over from the first run because I can't tell mine apart, and they definitely don't look like the "2nd run" examples in those pics.
    Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E)

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    I have a 1st run Moonglow Manix 2, and It really glows nicely. I was kind of hoping that the Moonglow Native 5 would be like the 2nd run Manix 2. But the Native 5 looks and glows exactly like the 1st run Manix.
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

WOW! that is a big difference. Thank you for posting those pics. That is like two different knives in my opinion. The 2nd run looks very sweet!!!

JD

Spyderco Forum Registered User Sir Ringo's Avatar
    I just got the Native 5 Moonglow and it is like the first run Manix 2. Love how bright it gets. Although the second run Manix 2 has a very cool look, I think that if your going to do Moonglow then its ability to glow is the main priority. At least thats my take on it.
    Orange Dodo, Jason Breeden Rescue, PM 2 Digi Cam & all black, Delica 4 FRN Green & Purple, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 Moonglow, Sage 1

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    One of the pictures I saw showed a few of them glowing and one was glowing much brighter than the other ones... but I didn't see if it mentioned that the bright one was the 1st run.

I just went back, refound it, visited the page it was on... and I think he said that it was from the first run.

Link: http://edcforums.com/threads/moonglo...s.90050/page-2

-Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    One of the pictures I saw showed a few of them glowing and one was glowing much brighter than the other ones... but I didn't see if it mentioned that the bright one was the 1st run.

I just went back, refound it, visited the page it was on... and I think he said that it was from the first run.

Link: http://edcforums.com/threads/moonglo...s.90050/page-2

Hard to tell from just the picture though, unless the knives were all "charged" from the same broad light source. When I've tried to take pictures of all 4 of my GITD knives at night outside, charging them up with a flashlight, I've had difficulty getting them all the exact same brightness - whichever one I charged last/was closest to the light would be brightest, because initially they are *very* bright, but lose a bit of the brightness quickly. They'll keep on glowing at least *some* for hours though.

If they were all charged at the same time from say, a fluorescent light held the same distance from all of them, then yeah, it could be demonstrating a difference in the glow of the materials.
    Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E)

Spyderco Forum Registered User Fresh Eddie Fresh's Avatar
    The Moonglow Natives I believe are made out of the same material as the Manix Moonglow first run, and it glows like crazy.... you can charge it with a flashlight and it it will light up a closet.

I am imagining the "less glowy" Moonglow is probably still much brighter than Nifebrite. The semi-transparent color looks really cool! (IMHO)