Thread: Auto log out???

Hybrid View

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar

Auto log out???

I get logged out after a few minutes of non-activity. Sometimes it's even after starting a post. I try to submit the post and find I'm logged out. Granted these are sometimes long posts but still it's not all that long, maybe 5 minutes. Or 10? Can't be sure.

Is there any way to keep me logged in indefinately within the same window?

Thanks.

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I have had the same thing happen to me Jack. Not sure that I can give a typical situation
    in which it happens or a typical time frame, but I have been logged out while reading or
    typing. You know how computers are, I thought that I might have done something, so I
    have just re-logged in.
    The worst scenerio is when you have a logn post typed and it happens. I have cut my
    post and pasted it into a word file beofre I re-log in, then I can cut from the word file and
    paste back in the thread.

...maybe its a 4158 thing, if you know what I mean.

I have lost lots of typing before. Talk about frustrating! With this new forum (about a year I guess) it has an auto save feature which has saved me a time or two. I also have typed in Word (saving often) then copying the text into a post when I knew it was going to be a short novel.

I felt kind of hesitant to post this issue because for some of us older folks we remember when a computer was something you would only see in a sci fi movie. Now I gripe about having to login every once in a while??? Talk about spoiled. This problem has popped up and gone away a couple of times. I'm hoping it's a setting I can put a check mark beside or something like that. It happens on my PC and tablet both.

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    When I headed off to college I bought a brand new Smith Corona typewriter. Boy, it was
    big time. Many didn't have their own typewriter and had to "hire" someone to type papers
    for them. Actually I did have a young coed female type a paper for me once, but it was
    more about having an excuse to vistit her about the typing. You do whatever it takes.

I think that I paid her 20 bucks or something and then took her out for dinner. As I recall
    she was quite grateful. Ahhh, the good ole days.

Quote Originally Posted by BAL View Post
    When I headed off to college I bought a brand new Smith Corona typewriter. Boy, it was
    big time. Many didn't have their own typewriter and had to "hire" someone to type papers
    for them. Actually I did have a young coed female type a paper for me once, but it was
    more about having an excuse to vistit her about the typing. You do whatever it takes.

I think that I paid her 20 bucks or something and then took her out for dinner. As I recall
    she was quite grateful. Ahhh, the good ole days.
    I remember typewriters. My mother had one that wasn't electric and you had to push the keys down about an inch to make the letter swing up and slam down on the paper. When I was a senior in HS my schedule of classes got screwed up. I don't remember why but I had to take some elective to round out my day so I could leave at lunch and still have enough credits to graduate. I took typeing because I figured it would be easy to pass. That year was the first year they had electric typewriters. Guess what??? Pretty girl sat beside me. I think her name was Lori. She asked me for help several times. I helped her some but not much. I'm sure she just asked for help to have something to talk to me about. As it turned out I have used typeing skills more than a lot of what I learned in high school.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pinetreebbs's Avatar
    I had the same problem. Enabling cookies for this site and checking the "Remember Me" box at log in fixed it for me.
    Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to: www.KnifeRights.org
    Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinetreebbs View Post
    I had the same problem. Enabling cookies for this site and checking the "Remember Me" box at log in fixed it for me.
    Where do you enable cookies?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pinetreebbs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    Where do you enable cookies?
    Your browser settings, browser add on/apps (e.g., Addblock, Taco, No Script) and possibly in your Internet security application.
    Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to: www.KnifeRights.org
    Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.

Quote Originally Posted by TazKristi View Post
    The forum does have a default time limit to automatically log out a user who is inactive. The default is 16 minutes (it actually calculates in seconds). I've increased it substantially so let's see if that helps.
    Thanks Kristi. That will probably do it. 16 minutes sounds like a long time to me but it's amazing how fast time passes when your mind is occupied. Time usually passes slow for me because my mind is usually innactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinetreebbs View Post
    Your browser settings, browser add on/apps (e.g., Addblock, Taco, No Script) and possibly in your Internet security application.
    Ok, I'll see. I thought there was a setting for this site alone.

Edit:
    I started using Firefox a few months ago and just looked at the settings for cookies. Looks like you can tailor them for each site if you want to. Very cool. IE may provide that also but I never messed with it much. I remember turning them on or off but that's it and I didn't turn them off or on per individual site.
    Last edited by jackknifeh; 04-16-2013 at 10:49 AM.

The forum does have a default time limit to automatically log out a user who is inactive. The default is 16 minutes (it actually calculates in seconds). I've increased it substantially so let's see if that helps.
    There is nothing more important than this one day.