Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: S110v target Hardness?

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Northern California in the heart of the Gold Country
    Cliff, thanks for the information, I will take a look.

Well after not hearing back from Spyderco from my phone call and email, I called customer service at Knifecenter and posed the HRC question to them after explaining that I was on their pre order list for the upcoming N5 S110V. The service rep placed me on hold to check with their product rep and came back with the info that they did not know for sure, but if they had to guess they would say 58~59. So... Seems to be a bit of a mystery at this point.
    Best....
    Last edited by Ray Allen; 04-19-2013 at 03:18 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Mastiff's Avatar
    Sal might not want to do a whole lot of speculation. He usually reports to us the results of ones he tests. With the worldwide instant communication any erroneous claim or plain mistake gets amplified , repeated and thrown back. I for one understand that approach. It means that when Sal says it you can count on it .

If he says something like " it should come in around...." it would be at least after some sample knives were made with the heat that was decided upon and tested, found to be workable and repeatable for the heat treat folks.

He is likely pretty busy this time of year as well.

Joe
    Last edited by The Mastiff; 04-19-2013 at 05:34 AM.
    "A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Agreed, Joe. Sal does it right.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mastiff View Post
    He is likely pretty busy this time of year as well.
    This time of year? It seems to me Sal is pretty much booked up 24x7x365

I know you mean the shows and such, but the guy just goes and goes.... I wish I had that kind of energy.

Ken
    玉鋼

I for one would never doubt Sal. I look forward to hearing more about the HRC and other salient facts about the blade like many others. After all, it's the heart of any knife really!
    Cheers...

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Mastiff's Avatar
    I know you mean the shows and such, but the guy just goes and goes.... I wish I had that kind of energy
    He must be a pretty good traveler too. Personally it stresses me out to the point of needing a vacation after I come back from vacation.

Besides, staying busy will keep him young. Too much time off is bad for most people.

Joe
    "A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    He must be a pretty good traveler too. Personally it stresses me out to the point of needing a vacation after I come back from vacation.
    I hear that. I used to travel better. When I was younger I took a business trip to Japan. 19 hours iirc. I was fine. These days I'd rather drive 11 hours than fly 2. I set my own schedule, take a break when I need one. Still tiring, but not like flying.

Yeah, our "vacations" used to be busy, busy, busy. Had to see "everything". I also needed a vacation from my vacation... This one upcoming I plan to sit on the beach and not move until we go out to dinner

Besides, staying busy will keep him young. Too much time off is bad for most people.
    True, though I'm doing everything I can to become the exception to that rule.

Ken
    玉鋼

Did anyone ever find out any more info on the micro-structure and HRC values of Spyderco's s110v? I ordered the manix in s110v and am curious about what it will be stable at and edge retention. I am thinking about regrinding it to .010" but am not sure if that would be wise or not.

They're running 62-63.

sal

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    They're running 62-63.

sal
    Very cool. Thanks!

Spyderco Forum Registered User nccole's Avatar
    Nice. I can say that I really have noticed a difference with my S110V Manix compared to anything else I own. It seems to hold its fine edge longer than anything else I own. 204P rarely needs sharpening to be useful, but I find it loses its shaving edge very quickly. MT 17 and 18 have not been used much so I cannot comment on S110V there, but I am really really appreciating S110V.

I noticed a difference sharpening it compared to anything else I own. M4, 204P, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    They're running 62-63.

sal
    I know I shouldn't be, but I am surprised that you responded so quickly Sal! I know you are a very busy man... thanks for all you do and the great products you put out!!!