Thread: changing clip position

Spyderco Forum Registered User

changing clip position

I have a reslience (sp?) and want to change the position of the clip - please tell me the bit needed to back off the screws - it looks like a star bit but none of my many bits are that small.
    jnich

I am at the office and have a Resilience at home so I can't check it.
    Honestly, I never know any of the sizes of any screws. I have several
    small tool sets and simply switch bits until I get the one that works.

If you don't have a tool that works, take your knife into a Lowes or similar
    and search for a tool that fits, then you can get it, or fix it there. Heck, a
    car parts store might do it, or find a tool that works.

Welcome to the forum.

Spyderco Forum Registered User CarbonFiberNut's Avatar
    I'd recommend going to a hobby shop or hardware store and buying a set of extremely small Torx bits - they are well worth having. I have a small screwdriver with a set of tiny torx bits that store inside the handle. Quite handy.

It's most likely a T6 torx lowes or Home Depot should have something that will work.

Banned
    I believe it's a T6.

Administrator
    The folders in the Value Series (Tenacious, Ambitious, Resilience, and Persistence) originally used metric Allen (hex) screws. The tool for them is a 1.5mm Allen wrench. Recently, we have begun using Torx ("star") screws in those. For those you'll need a T-6 Torx bit, though sometimes a T-7 provides a tighter fit on those screws.

For more information on the clip-switching process, please check out pages 81-82 of the 2013 OpFocus catalog.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
    Michael Janich
    Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
    Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts

I checked last night and the T-7 actually worked fine on mine. You have to be careful
    on these though, if you start with the wrong size, you can strip the head . I know that
    I have. I have been known to get impatient and think thatI have the right bit and realize
    later that it might not have been right. It seems like the T-6 wa a bit loose and T-7 a bit tight.

Also, when you put the clip back, a little blue loctite on the threads helps hold it, so that you
    don't have to re-tighten it and make the head worse. I used some blue last night after checking.

Thank You Spydercoians