Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the S110v/CF Native regular production?

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    Lets look at it this way...The Para 2 in all versions of standard production flavor are out of stock and have been pretty much for the least 3 years. The combination of knife and steel on this particular knife is going to be so hot that even if it is a standard production knife, it's pretty much guaranteed to sell out and be hard to find.
    +1

Spyderco Forum Registered User wolfgaze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kbuzbee View Post
    Saw your earlier question. Glad you found (one of) the thread and welcome to the forum!

As Roman says, it's a rough texture. Rougher than G10 in my opinion. And unlike G10, I don't find it smoothing out over time. It keeps that high degree of roughness. Some people like that. I tend to prefer smoother finishes as I'm not often out in mud and snow trying to cut something, but I'd appreciate the texture more if I were, I'm sure.

As to the G10 version versus the CF...

I love the G10 model. G10 is one of my favorite scale materials, partially because it DOES smooth out over time.

And I'm really liking the S35VN used in that model. In my experience it holds a nicer edge than S30V. I have mine set to 26 inclusive and semi polished and it just keeps going.

The CF on the upcoming Native (reports say August-ish) will likely be rougher. Maybe you want that, maybe you don't.

The S110V will likely be much more wear resistant than the S35VN. With certain edges, that means it should hold that edge longer (read Cliff's most recent Nilakka thread on the current first page) but it also means it should be more difficult to sharpen. Some folks prefer a steel that holds a great edge and it easier to sharpen over one that holds it's edge longer but is more difficult. I don't know your sharpening tools or skills but it's something to consider.

And the CF model will be $80-$90 more expensive. Just another factor.

Bottom line, if you're a steel junky like some of us here, you want the CF. If you just want a great knife, the G10 model is a great knife.

Ken
    Thanks for the 'welcome' and informative post Ken...

I'll probably stick with the Native 5 / G-10 I have on backorder as I really like the appearance/aesthetics of this model, it's in my preferrred budget range, and I'm not experienced with sharpening knives so the S35VN will probably work to my advantage (I don't do any heaving cutting with my knives anyway).

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Excellent choice! And for the right reasons. At some point, if you get steel addicted, you may say 'I really wish I'd bought a CF N5' but by then there will be K294 Natives to make you happy

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User MCM's Avatar
    So, what was the final answer on this?
    Limited Production?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    I seriously doubt it would be "regular" production, If it's not a Sprint, I think the best that can be reasonably hoped for would be Limited Production.

More S90v & CF please.......

Quote Originally Posted by MCM View Post
    Limited Production?
    Thanks!
    Inquiring minds want to know.

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MCM View Post
    Limited Production?
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by derrelw View Post
    Inquiring minds want to know.
    I thought Sal had said it was regular production (I might be mis-remembering) but even so, it may not matter - we all know how difficult even ordinary, regular production knives (like the Native 5 with S30V) can be to find.

Spyderco Forum Registered User RadioactiveSpyder's Avatar
    It will be the same for the CF Native 5 and fluted CF PM2 (and later the fluted Ti PM2) as it is currently for the fluted Ti Native, the fluted Ti Millie, etc... Yes, they are standard production items per the catalog, but they are obviously not produced in nearly the same quantities as their more regular round up most likely due to the combination of the intricate tooling and workmanship and their somewhat lower overall demand (on a volume basis), the latter driven by their high prices. They trickle out to the dealers, and are snatched up by those patiently waiting for them, notified via an email alert or by those just being OCD and checking their favorite dealer's websites routinely. I have some email alerts set up now for the new incarnation of the Ti Millie, the straight grey version (since there's no more blue anodizing), they will show up someday and I will get one for half the price than what the one that's currently on eBay is going for (whose price is downright criminal, but I bet someone will buy it eventually).
    It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. Stephen King

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RobC2 View Post
    I think it is still a valid question. If it is a production model, one can shop price to some extent. If it is a sprint, that may not be possible. While the specs of this knife are exceedingly cool, nobody likes to overpay. If anyone knows for sure, I would be interested in knowing.
    To an extent, the fluted knives are production yet are treated as sprints on the secondary market due to scarcity. I imagine this model will be the same way
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RobC2 View Post
    I think it is still a valid question. If it is a production model, one can shop price to some extent. If it is a sprint, that may not be possible. While the specs of this knife are exceedingly cool, nobody likes to overpay. If anyone knows for sure, I would be interested in knowing.
    Pricing varies in every scenario. You can do a search to confirm, but I recall Sal posting that it was regular production. However, I can almost guarantee you that it won't matter - look at Para2 prices. This will be hotter than the hinges of Hades. You will be competing with steel heads, frustrated forum knife would-be buyers, carbon fiber fans, and general knife affis.

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JNewell View Post
    we all know how difficult even ordinary, regular production knives (like the Native 5 with S30V) can be to find.
    I can say that currently it is even impossible to get Native5 with S30V
    I think that Sal have to make S30V sprint, just to help you out
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

I've had one on preorder/back order for about two months now. I get an email every week saying "rest assured the order is in good hands and will be shipped as soon as possible". When I ordered, I was under the impression that it was going to be production, as I saw it on a list (on this forum) as a standard production knife.

(P.S, if no one has mentioned it yet my order was placed with knifecenter)