Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the S110v/CF Native regular production?

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Is the S110v/CF Native regular production?

A large and popular dealer posted their list of 2013 production and sprints from Spyderco, placing the s110v Native under production.

Anyone know if that's a mistake or the truth?

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    Just place pre-order. The only matter for this knife to be in your pocket.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

Quote Originally Posted by bh49 View Post
    Just place pre-order. The only matter for this knife to be in your pocket.
    Good point

I think it is still a valid question. If it is a production model, one can shop price to some extent. If it is a sprint, that may not be possible. While the specs of this knife are exceedingly cool, nobody likes to overpay. If anyone knows for sure, I would be interested in knowing.

Spyderco Forum Registered User FCM415's Avatar
    I am very interested in knowing this myself... The fluted Ti N5 is supposed to be production but this one has s110v, usually not a steel offered for an extended amount of time. Like Rob said, I want to know if I can play the price game with dealers or is it a hoard while you can situation hehe, I'm happy with one, I'll cry if I don't get one.

theres a preorder up for this? where?!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User mikerestivo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jkh View Post
    theres a preorder up for this? where?!?
    I've been scratching my noggin about this as well. I'm not sure if there is a pre-order going on right now or if the comment was made to prompt someone to do it when it comes up. If there is a pre-order right now, I have not found it. If anyone does, could you please send us a message? Thanks - Mike

I was looking up the specs for the currently available Native knife versions. Having trouble understanding why the handle seems to be getting longer whilst the blade keeps getting shorter.
    Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.

Quote Originally Posted by KardinalSyn View Post
    I was looking up the specs for the currently available Native knife versions. Having trouble understanding why the handle seems to be getting longer whilst the blade keeps getting shorter.
    That is exactly what I said when the Native 5 first came out. It frustrates me because I like the Native line, but I like some actual edge on a knife. That is why I don't own a Native 5...

But I will buy a S110V one...as soon as I find a pre-order for it I'm on it.
    On the hunt for...

Spyderco Forum Registered User Revival's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerestivo View Post
    I've been scratching my noggin about this as well. I'm not sure if there is a pre-order going on right now or if the comment was made to prompt someone to do it when it comes up. If there is a pre-order right now, I have not found it. If anyone does, could you please send us a message? Thanks - Mike
    This. I am curious myself.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Popsickle's Avatar
    I sent a message to one of the big dealers on the toxic green forum..... He said he was sure it wasn't under the sprint list. He didnt have the list on hand to confirm.

How cool would this be if this was regular production?

I'm wondering what their target hardness is.....

Spyderco Native 5 Carbon Fiber Folding Knife (3" Satin Plain) C41CFP5
    Expected July 2013! Folding Pocket Knife. Premium CPM-110V stainless steel full-flat grind blade. Peel ply carbon fiber handle w/ steel back lock mechanism. 4-position Pocket clip.
    Retail Price: $319.95
    Our Price: $209.95 Shipped!
    Out of Stock

Spyderco Forum Registered User wolfgaze's Avatar
    Can anyone explain for me exactly what 'peel ply' carbon fiber refers to?

Any idea on when we could expect to see photos released for this model? I have the Native 5 w/ G-10 on backorder and am wondering if I should hold off on that....

Thanks!

'peel ply' is a finish, kind of rough to give more grip. The same like on Militaries, Paras, Superhawk, Strectch vs. smooth like on Calys, UKPK, Kopa, Kiwi, Native4. Taiwanese Spydies has totally different finish on their CF scales.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
    Can anyone explain for me exactly what 'peel ply' carbon fiber refers to?

Any idea on when we could expect to see photos released for this model? I have the Native 5 w/ G-10 on backorder and am wondering if I should hold off on that....

Thanks!
    Saw your earlier question. Glad you found (one of) the thread and welcome to the forum!

As Roman says, it's a rough texture. Rougher than G10 in my opinion. And unlike G10, I don't find it smoothing out over time. It keeps that high degree of roughness. Some people like that. I tend to prefer smoother finishes as I'm not often out in mud and snow trying to cut something, but I'd appreciate the texture more if I were, I'm sure.

As to the G10 version versus the CF...

I love the G10 model. G10 is one of my favorite scale materials, partially because it DOES smooth out over time.

And I'm really liking the S35VN used in that model. In my experience it holds a nicer edge than S30V. I have mine set to 26 inclusive and semi polished and it just keeps going.

The CF on the upcoming Native (reports say August-ish) will likely be rougher. Maybe you want that, maybe you don't.

The S110V will likely be much more wear resistant than the S35VN. With certain edges, that means it should hold that edge longer (read Cliff's most recent Nilakka thread on the current first page) but it also means it should be more difficult to sharpen. Some folks prefer a steel that holds a great edge and it easier to sharpen over one that holds it's edge longer but is more difficult. I don't know your sharpening tools or skills but it's something to consider.

And the CF model will be $80-$90 more expensive. Just another factor.

Bottom line, if you're a steel junky like some of us here, you want the CF. If you just want a great knife, the G10 model is a great knife.

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bh49 View Post
    'peel ply' is a finish, kind of rough to give more grip. The same like on Militaries, Paras, Superhawk, Strectch vs. smooth like on Calys, UKPK, Kopa, Kiwi, Native4. Taiwanese Spydies has totally different finish on their CF scales.
    I would say there are more than just 3 carbon fiber finishes out there. Most of the smooth CF has a matte feel to them. There are some, like the Walker Sprint, that have a VERY smooth feel to them.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    I would say there are more than just 3 carbon fiber finishes out there. Most of the smooth CF has a matte feel to them. There are some, like the Walker Sprint, that have a VERY smooth feel to them.
    You're right, of course.

There are variations between the texture of the rough CF models and between the textures of the smooth CF models.

I think it's good to understand the basic difference. Once you have a reference point you can go on to the more subtle differences.

The difference in finish changes their appearance too

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Lets look at it this way...The Para 2 in all versions of standard production flavor are out of stock and have been pretty much for the least 3 years. The combination of knife and steel on this particular knife is going to be so hot that even if it is a standard production knife, it's pretty much guaranteed to sell out and be hard to find.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    I seriously doubt it would be "regular" production, If it's not a Sprint, I think the best that can be reasonably hoped for would be Limited Production.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Of cause there are more than just three flavors of finish. I never owned or saw Walker sprint, but I owned CF Dragonfly and saw Harpy. finish on there are mirror polished. Also CF on Dodo doesn't belong to any groups, which i mentioned before. BTW, the best looking CF from Golden or Japan in my opinion at least
    George Orwell