Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Your Patina!

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Mustard Caly 3.

Very nice Brian. I am on my 3rd version of the Caly 3 SB patina. Word of advise... don't use Superblue to open bottle of barkeeper's friend. The patina will be ruined. So I polished to high shine and started again. The new patina is developing better than the last.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User MarcusH's Avatar
    Tabasco-and-mustard patina on two cheap spanish knives...

My small collection: http://www.araneomorphae.de
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
    Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    Very nice Brian. I am on my 3rd version of the Caly 3 SB patina. Word of advise... don't use Superblue to open bottle of barkeeper's friend. The patina will be ruined. So I polished to high shine and started again. The new patina is developing better than the last.
    That's good. Yeah, I'm not worried about having to patina it again.

My bottles of barkeeper's friend come with a sticker on top of them and are easily opened with my fingers.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User 3rdGenRigger's Avatar
    This thread is deadly...and as such I've decided to try to patina a knife of my own. Trouble is, everything I have is stainless, and although I could buy a SuperBlue Caly/Delica/Endura, I think I'll hold out for the SuperBlue Stretch. The other thing is, I've never tried inducing patina on a knife before...so I thought I'd start cheap for a first attempt. I managed to kill 2 birds with one stone by buying an Opinel No. 09 Carbone folder, which should definitely take a patina and I've always wanted to try a high carbon Opinel. I'm looking for a mixture of blue and tan, but not too dark...the mustard and tabasco pictured above looks really cool and I may try that. Or maybe I should stick it through an onion for an hour...any suggestions?
    Last edited by 3rdGenRigger; 09-25-2013 at 06:56 PM.
    Ladybug (Salt/SuperBlue/White SE), Native (FRN), Dragonfly (Salt/Orange/SuperBlue/G10), Lava (Blue), Ulize, Byrdwrench
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam/Green), Jester (Grey), Caly3/3.5 (CF), Domino (Blue), Stretch (SuperBlue), Spyderwrench
    Schempp Tuff, Goddard OD, Mule (K390), Manix2 (CruWear), Sage 3 (CF), Vallotton, Techno, Spin (Blue Nishijin)
    2013 Forum Native, Delica 4 (Damascus), Chokwe, Swick 3, Battlestation, Military (CruWear), Ti Salsa

-> Branden

Spyderco Forum Registered User Senate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdGenRigger View Post
    This thread is deadly...and as such I've decided to try to patina a knife of my own. Trouble is, everything I have is stainless, and although I could buy a SuperBlue Caly/Delica/Endura, I think I'll hold out for the SuperBlue Stretch. The other thing is, I've never tried inducing patina on a knife before...so I thought I'd start cheap for a first attempt. I managed to kill 2 birds with one stone by buying an Opinel No. 09 Carbone folder, which should definitely take a patina and I've always wanted to try a high carbon Opinel. I'm looking for a mixture of blue and tan, but not too dark...the mustard and tabasco pictured above looks really cool and I may try that. Or maybe I should stick it through an onion for an hour...any suggestions?
    i don't have any advice for the patina part but just a note regarding the knives you're considering to buy. the SB batch of D4, E4 and Stretch are laminated SB blade with 420J1, meaning that a patina will form only on a limited part of the blade (approx 0.5cm above the edge) leaving the biggest part above the laminate line intact as it is 420J1 stainless steel.
    if you really want to play with patina you'd better hunt down a Caly with unlaminated SB.
    Alexandre.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Spyderco WTC#1978

I'm aware (the part above the edge where patina forms is noticeable even without the patina), and that doesn't deter me at all. I'm looking forward to seeing the patina mainly on the lower portion of the blade and along the center of the spine. I'm still holding out for a SuperBlue Stretch, because I've always wanted a Stretch and I almost bought a ZDP-189 lightweight version, but I'm glad I held off. I'm also likely to purchase a Blue Nishijin Spin when that gets released, and maybe a Blue G10 Lava if I can find a good deal on one. The Stretch might end up being my main pickling knife.
    Ladybug (Salt/SuperBlue/White SE), Native (FRN), Dragonfly (Salt/Orange/SuperBlue/G10), Lava (Blue), Ulize, Byrdwrench
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam/Green), Jester (Grey), Caly3/3.5 (CF), Domino (Blue), Stretch (SuperBlue), Spyderwrench
    Schempp Tuff, Goddard OD, Mule (K390), Manix2 (CruWear), Sage 3 (CF), Vallotton, Techno, Spin (Blue Nishijin)
    2013 Forum Native, Delica 4 (Damascus), Chokwe, Swick 3, Battlestation, Military (CruWear), Ti Salsa

-> Branden

Spyderco Forum Registered User Senate's Avatar
    the SB stretch will be a formidable user, got one on preorder too
    Alexandre.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Spyderco WTC#1978

Spyderco Forum Registered User NoFair's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ourgon View Post
    How you made patina on D2?
    Degreased it with acetone and let it sit in warm red wine vinegar for a while (less than an hour, but it is a few years ago so I don't remember how long)

Held up very well, might be a bit smoother now and has some scratches from being sharpened in the field.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I used a lemon to get the Patina on my OPINEL.. just squeeze some lemon juice every 5 mins for half hour on both sides ..
    if you don't like it you can use 220 or 300 sandpaper to remove it and start again.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdGenRigger View Post

Excellent tip, thanks! I'll try that first.

-> Branden

Spyderco Forum Registered User Ignaz's Avatar
    P1000804.JPG

Sorry for the bad picture. I made that patina by putting the knife(1095 steel) in high concentrated citric acid for several hours. From my experience that works much better than vinegar and you get that rusty and dirty look. In addition it doesn't smell as bad.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

I don't post often but not seeing enough CPM M4 or Manix love...

Not forced patina, everything from brake fluid, food prep, fishing, skinning, yard work has contributed.

Nice pics, Fdrotary. It's pretty easy to tell which one is the user It must have been around the block a couple of times.

The tan Manix M4 is one of my faves (that I never had) and it's true they don't get enough love around here, but judging by their current prices, they must get a lot of love somewhere.
    MY SPYDIE LIST (on profile page)
    Want List: New Stretch prototype Coyote G-10 slab/ZDP test sprint!

love the m4 Manix... especially with the patina! damn i missed out on that one!
    Opinel Nr.8 Inox, Svord Peasant, Mule k390, Gayle Bradley Air, Gayle Bradley, S90V Military, Cruwear Military, Cruwear Military Collectors #13V, SuperBlue Stretch, Butch Vallotton Subhilt, Manix2 CTS-XHP, CPM-M4-Ti Military CF Scales, Para2 (xhp,m390,20cp,204p) , Laguiole Mandailles, Laguiole BrutdeForge Lame bélier doublePlatines, Laguiole enAubrac 13cm Lame Horn handle, Benchmade MINI ONSLAUGHT 746-1201 (Nr. 166 of 500)

Spyderco Forum Registered User dgebler's Avatar
    Those of you may remember when they first released the halpern scales for the MT17 I posted this knife in the garden slicing a new tomato. Anyway, after a full season I thought I'd show the patina, mostly from homegrown tomatoes with a few other veggies in the mix.patina2.jpg

Thanks, I wondered how much K390 stained.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.

Here's how my first attempt turned out. The wide pattern was 30 minutes per side with a spicy mustard, and the narrow pattern was 15 minutes a side with normal French's mustard. I'm quite pleased with how it's turned out thus far, and I think I'll try a medium that I can completely submerge the meat of the blade in next. Here's a before and 2 after pictures.

-> Branden

preventing staining on carbon steel, not that hard. preventing scratches on the soft laminate, impossible.

not sure why the people who are scared of carbon and want their knives to stay new looking like laminates so much when they mar so easily.

I personally embrace all scratches, dings, stains, etc... but I like them natural and my super blue hasn't seen a hint of staining yet. used on lot of food and wet wood too.

Good, that last statement sounds crazy to me. Super blue stains from cutting up one steak, it stains from the oil on my hands. It stains pretty darn easily!
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.