Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Your Patina!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Whoa Senate, how did you get ZDP to patina? I've tried before but I could never get anything, so I just gave up.

And as a side note, I got a Caly 3 SB to go with my 3.5 SB and gave it a short workout in the kitchen with some apples and an orange.

Also, this Caly 3 completes my Japanese collection of the Gray G-10 Spydies, I just need to get my hands on a 20CP Para (good bye money) and the CruWear Millie when it comes out and I'll have a complete set
    Last edited by Invective; 04-26-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Senate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Invective View Post
    Whoa Senate, how did you get DP to patina? I've tried before but I could never get anything, so I just gave up.
    abuse in the kitchen... onions, tomatoes, constantly wet for over 2 years... the pivot had even rusted.
    Alexandre.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Spyderco WTC#1978

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    decided to start using my caly3 again! this is what it looked like after cutting up an apple and sticking it in a banana for 10 min

Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User thurin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holland View Post
    decided to start using my caly3 again! this is what it looked like after cutting up an apple and sticking it in a banana for 10 min
    Lookin' good Holland!

2+ years of rain, sweat, tears, and lots and lots of food.
    CPM M4 is actually pretty rust resistant, wasn't taking much of a patina naturally in the first few months, even with lots of fruit slicing. Had to force myself to not clean the blade for awhile after slicing to jump start the patina. Fun watching it change and progress.

Quote Originally Posted by thurin View Post
    Lookin' good Holland!
    Thanks bud!

Quote Originally Posted by GoodEyeSniper View Post
    2+ years of rain, sweat, tears, and lots and lots of food.
    CPM M4 is actually pretty rust resistant, wasn't taking much of a patina naturally in the first few months, even with lots of fruit slicing. Had to force myself to not clean the blade for awhile after slicing to jump start the patina. Fun watching it change and progress.
    looks great! i need to get myself in m4 knife eventually. Hopefully the next para2 will come in m4
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User NoFair's Avatar
    D2 Millie

O1 vs S35VN

Couple of good looking Millies there GES and NoFair. Gotta get me one.

never get tired of seeing patinas on D2 knives

-Spencer

Quote Originally Posted by thurin View Post
    Couple of good looking Millies there GES and NoFair. Gotta get me one.
    You really should. Best outdoor folder ever imo. (Favorites are Carbon fiber, the FG CPM D2 is a close second)

nice looking D2 milie Sverre!
    i've tried to put a patina on mine by soaking it in cola or vinegar for a few night but it didn't work.
    i might have applied some tuff-glide in the past that i don't remember. now to get this thing off.
    Alexandre.
    Spyderco WTC#1978

Quote Originally Posted by Senate View Post
    nice looking D2 milie Sverre!
    i've tried to put a patina on mine by soaking it in cola or vinegar for a few night but it didn't work.
    i might have applied some tuff-glide in the past that i don't remember. now to get this thing off.
    Just clean it with acetone Alex. I used warm red wine vinegar (about 50 C) for less than an hour. Has been very durable, just some scratches from opening beer, using a firesteel and cutting things with gravel around it. The shade of gray varies a bit on different parts of the blade from cutting corrosive stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by NoFair View Post
    Just clean it with acetone Alex.
    will do! thanks for the tip
    Alexandre.
    Spyderco WTC#1978

Quote Originally Posted by NoFair View Post
    You really should. Best outdoor folder ever imo. (Favorites are Carbon fiber, the FG CPM D2 is a close second)
    I'm holding out for the millie2. I carry tip up LFP and am hoping the redesign (if/when it happens) will accommodate.

My PM2 has seen some outdoor action, but mainly as a backup to the fixed blades.

Some people have been waiting for the Millie 2 for years. I'm very satisfied with the current (perfect version)

If you are a leftie that version of the Millie is on sale quite a few places.

Unless you just prefer how the tip up carries in pocket, tip up on a folder as large as the military will always take at least one more step to open than if you carried it tip down. Unless you have 6 inch long fingers.

There won't be a Military 2 until Spyderco has perfected crystal technology until they have developed a mini pocket lightsaber.

edit: being serious, I really don't think there is a Military 2 in the pipeline. Sal said something about a Military 2 being planned over ten years ago, and people have just sort of never let it die. There's really nothing to update on it as far as I can tell.

10 min in vinegar. couple rust spots formed around the pivot...

-Spencer

CLR cleaned it up a bit...

-Spencer

After about 20 hours in vinegar

-Spencer

That came out nicely