Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: car knife

Spyderco Forum Registered User

car knife

I'm a believer in keeping my car well stocked with what I call "****-hits-the-fan" equipment. I have trouble deciding on what knife to leave in the car though. On one hand, I don't want to buy a knife I love and let it sit in the car, but on the other, if and when I do need it, I want to be able to trust it.

Do any of you keep knives in the car? which model? Any suggestions?

My thoughts so far are combo edge endura 4, one of the rescues with the retractable glass breaker, or a hawksbill salt....

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    All of your thoughts seem correct. I like to have a SE Rescue in my car and I am planning to add a glass breaker mod. Any of the Salts should serve you well though I am sure you don't have lots of moisture in Houston.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawks, D'fly (H1,G-10), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V[2],XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleaf, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Caly (JR's,3,3.5-SB), D3, Para-2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescue, Dyad Jr, Pingo, Southard, AIR, Jess Horn, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II
    Mules> MT05,08,09,12,15,16,17, 18

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User ChapmanPreferred's Avatar
    I have an Assist in both vehicles.
    SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
    Work EDC List
    FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
    FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
    BRP: CF Military S90V
    BLP: Forum S110V Native

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    I also carry an orange assist in the console of all my cars.

TedP

Spyderco Forum Registered User Water Bug's Avatar
    While I don't keep a knife in my vehicle (except for a window/glass scraper), I do EDC a Spyderco Assist I in orange FRN when I drive.

My Assist I is right next to my four-D cell MagLite on the kitchen counter. I always carry my MagLite with me when I'm driving somewhere, although the Assist I is the first to be grabbed and clipped to my LFP. Then I grab my MagLite and head out.

The Assist I is my EDVC (Everyday Vehicle Carry). It has everything you need in a rescue knife!
    Spyderco WTC #1044

Orange Assist in both cars.

The mentioning of condensation is a really good point , I recently went to a locked bag of blades non have been used or exposed to moisture "so I thought".
    The recent very cold weather here has caused I presume through vast temp change rust spots on some ss and carbon steel knives.
    The knives were oiled before they were stored I can understand the carbon ones but the ss took me by suprise I've since learnt that bead blasted as they were are more prone to this.
    I also believe in dessert condition the temp difference between day and night in a car can cause this especially a air con equipped vehicle as most are.
    I would go for something resistant for sure , although in the uk having a car knife isn't really possible unless non folding sub 3 inch.
    If I were loaded with camping fear or on the way to work it'd be fine but our laws are all wrong.

Edit: non of the knives were spyderco I had two sprint tenacious in the same bag and they were fine.

I would take a look at the byrd rescue. It costs half of a salt saver or an assist.

If your looing for a SHTF fixed blade, look at Becker Knife and Tool
    Last edited by BigBill5953; 01-25-2013 at 07:02 PM. Reason: add more**
    -Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

Quote Originally Posted by bammann45 View Post
    In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.

I keep a Delica combo-edge and a Rescue Jr. Along with a first aid kit etc.
    ** Endura 1 SE G2, Delica 1 CE G2, Co-Pilot SE Almite G2, Bob Terzuola Jr CE ATS-34, Rescue Jr SE ATS-55, Caly 3 PE VG-10 G10, Lady Bug II SE AUS-6, Delica 4 PE VG-10, Endura 4 CE Vg-10, Lady Bug 3 PE VG-10, Cricket SE VG-10, Salt 1 PE H1, Dragonfly 2 PE VG-10, UK Penknife PE CTS BD1 **

I have a Byrd Rescue coupled with a ResQMe for its glassbreaker.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Tank's Avatar
    I keep an orange assist in one car and an orange rescue in the other.
    -John

Spyderco Forum Registered User THE PUNISHER's Avatar
    cricket in my bob.
    <--------------------<<<< >>>>-------------------->
    DO NOT TRUST YOUR LIFE TO A POS

I have my Superleaf on me. A Mora Robust on my maxpedition falcon 2 and a Estwing 26 inch camp axe in the truck between the passenger seat the the console. Also have a 18" trailblazer sawvivor in the truck. I think I'm covered.

Shrade blue avatar CE.
    O.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    I have an Assist and an ESEE-5 in the door pocket of my car. I think I have the stranded, shtf, and emergency angles covered with those two.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    I would probably opt for one of the Rescue/Assist type knives too, something that can destroy a seat belt quickly without risking stabbing yourself or someone else. I would also opt for something in H1...you may not think your interior gets moisture in it, but it does. Think about how many times you've needed to use defrost to clear up a foggy windshield..that's moisture. I would prefer to not have to worry about rust on a knife that I likely won't ever use unless it's an emergency.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Thanks all. That really narrows it down to.... well, it didn't really narrow it down. I'm looking at the Atlantic Salt now, though.

.....ahmmm....you guys have only one knife in your car?..

Quote Originally Posted by God'sMyJudge View Post
    Thanks all. That really narrows it down to.... well, it didn't really narrow it down. I'm looking at the Atlantic Salt now, though.
    That's a really good knife. I wish they still made a plain edge version of it.

~David

Quote Originally Posted by linos View Post
    .....ahmmm....you guys have only one knife in your car?..
    I actually don't have any in my car. I had my car broken into once and got cleaned out...so I don't like to leave valuables in my car unless I have to. I rely on whatever I'm carrying and hope for the best.

~David