Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: SpydeChef - concept kitchen framelock folder by MarcinS

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I don't want a folding knife for kitchen or hunting. You get stuff in places you can't clean. If you think otherwise take a folding knife you did a deer with a few months ago and see how a dog responds to it. (I'm not just guessing, it is from experience)

Earlier the AG Russel Honcho was mentioned. I have handled it and did not like it at all. Uncomfortable handle and didn't like the blade either. My wife would have hated it even more. She takes evening classes at a culinary school and comfort speed and efficiency rule. I think both od these would be a big fail if presented at her school

This knife if not called a kitchen knife is cool looking and clearly well made.

Spyderco Forum Registered User bearfacedkiller's Avatar
    To say that there is no place for a folding food prep knife is assuming everybody eats what you do. It is actually a necessity for me and I couldn't live without one.

Dressing/butchering a deer is not food prep, its butchering. I've done dozens. It's just a tad dirtier.

The problem with both this knife, the military and the AG russel knife mentioned is the thickness of the stock.

I don't understand a dedicated folding chefs knife for the kitchen but I do understand a portable food prep knife for people on the go.

I don't usually link nonspydies on here but since that ice has been broken. Opinel slim is my next purchase. That is the real deal folding food prep/precision cutter.

http://www.opinel-usa.com/collection...y#.UxSmqPmKWuI

http://www.opinel-usa.com/collection...y#.UxSmqPmKWuI

I'll probably just get a wood handled basic version but linked the two nice ones. They come in many blade lengths too.
    Last edited by bearfacedkiller; 03-03-2014 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Not sure if blade thickness was correct or not.

To pile on - lots of people use folders for food prep. Probably mostly edc folders, because, well, you have it with you (definition of edc). In my kitchen at home I have kitchen knives. I don't carry them to work or when I travel. Honestly, it is not that hard to clean a knife, depending on what you need to clean off (raw animal tissue vs veggie slime). Personally, I'd rather process game with a fixed blade because it is a messy job and much easier to clean the tools later. But making lunch - it would be very handy to have a good slim-blade folder.

My God this knife is beautiful!! Was this design ditched in favor of the bowie? Personally, I'd take this one over the bowie. What a beaut!!

The rock lobster was incredibly similar in blade shape and design, albeit with the G10 scales. I'm sure you could scare up one of those still.

This thing is really beautiful. I'd buy it.

nice blade!
    thought it was an anso because of the logo but found out that its a slysz design! nice!
    Last edited by haarspalter; 04-22-2014 at 01:21 AM.
    Opinel Nr.8 Inox, Svord Peasant, Mule k390, Gayle Bradley Air, Gayle Bradley, S90V Military, Cruwear Military, Cruwear Military Collectors #13V, SuperBlue Stretch, Butch Vallotton Subhilt, Manix2 CTS-XHP, CPM-M4-Ti Military CF Scales, Para2 (xhp,m390,20cp,204p) , Laguiole Mandailles, Laguiole BrutdeForge Lame bélier doublePlatines, Laguiole enAubrac 13cm Lame Horn handle, Benchmade MINI ONSLAUGHT 746-1201 (Nr. 166 of 500)

Yes, this one is beautiful. Wish it was offered.