Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SpydeChef - concept kitchen framelock folder by MarcinS

Spyderco Forum Registered User ceya's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jldc View Post
    I just don't get a folding kitchen knife. A folding knife that you can use for kitchen prep in a pinch, sure. But why would you make a kitchen knife harder to clean? Ane why would you want to carry one around with you?

Oh, well - my mother used to say "to each his own, as Sally kissed the cow."
    This sounds like people said of Spyderco years ago.

Why a clip? I have a case.

Somebody will find use of it.

Before you know it, it will be on some chef shirt pocket on Iron Chef.

S/F,
    CEYA!
    "Stay in the fight because we are Marines and the mission will be complete regardless of degree of difficulty."

by CEYA!

Spyderco Forum Registered User dialex's Avatar
    Very nice design, I hope it will become a collaboration piece. Maybe with orange G-10 scales instead of Ti?
    The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Buendia518's Avatar
    Slightly off topic, but since it's a kitchen folder...I have one particular liner lock knife I use for food and fruit juice often runs down into the pivot area, what would be the right approach to cleaning especially if it happens a lot when I'm on the go?

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    run under warm soapy water then blow it out with compressed air or wd 40, then a drop of lubricant and you're good to go.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Popsickle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodEyeSniper View Post
    run under warm soapy water then blow it out with compressed air or wd 40, then a drop of lubricant and you're good to go.
    this takes a surprisingly short period of time. I used to carry a military for food prep at the bar I work at(food prep only). I would run it under the sink covered in soap and literally blow out the pivot/ never had a rust issue

Spyderco Forum Registered User Mutt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    I always wanted one of those Honchos from A. G. Russell.
    I have both the older style and the new style they just came out with about a month ago. The new one is heavy but both are excellent

Spyderco Forum Registered User JB3's Avatar

Excellent design! Sal?

This design is, to me, one of the coolest I've seen. I really don't get the idea of it being used primarily as a kitchen knife, but that aside, I would very much like to see this knife come out in a Carpenter steel in the 3" blade range. I would buy at least two and make this knife my main EDC. Good job Marcin!

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
    I have both the older style and the new style they just came out with about a month ago. The new one is heavy but both are excellent
    Post some pics please.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawks, D'fly (H1,G-10), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V[2],XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleaf, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Caly (JR's,3,3.5-SB), D3, Para-2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescue, Dyad Jr, Pingo, Southard, AIR, Jess Horn, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II
    Mules> MT05,08,09,12,15,16,17, 18

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Dodge's Avatar
    I still want this badly
    "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"

Quote Originally Posted by JB3 View Post
    This design is, to me, one of the coolest I've seen. I really don't get the idea of it being used primarily as a kitchen knife, but that aside, I would very much like to see this knife come out in a Carpenter steel in the 3" blade range. I would buy at least two and make this knife my main EDC. Good job Marcin!
    I agree w/everything you said. I couldn't care less about this as a kitchen folder but as a 3" EDC in XHP it might even replace my current fave, the Techno. I've never bought two of the same knives but I believe this coming to market would change that! Can't remember exactly, but I think I read that Piter M (?) was the one that first showed/brought Marcin's "Mouse" folder to Sal that ultimately became the Techno...and that he also showed Sal the Spydechef as well. I certainly hope Sal sees the awaiting market for this knife and will produce it (hopefully out of Taichung) sometime soon?

I believe there is a market for a folding kitchen knife. When traveling to relatives, or a vacation rental, or similar destination; and you plan to cook but cannot count on the quality or sharpness of the knives likely to be present this would be fantastic. I would buy one immediately. Nothing more frustrating than trying to cook with sub par knives, and a knife designed for the task almost always works better than a general purpose folder pushed into service in a pinch. Not to say I did not carve a Thanksgiving turkey with a para 2 recently...

Spyderco Forum Registered User FCM415's Avatar
    Named SpydeChef and it has a Spyderhole, it seems like IT IS a collab proto with Spyderco and not just a Marcin standalone proto. Or at least a proto that he will be approaching Spyderco with.

From what I understand, it is 3.5 inches. I sure hope so, that's the ideal size for me right in line with the Stretch and PM2's bladelength. Like Ive said, I think this will excel in much more than just food prep but it being a kitchen folder, a 3 inch blade will not be ideal in what it is meant to do.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Syncharmony's Avatar
    Toss a flipper on that bad boy and then name your price. First born son? Sure!

Spyderco Forum Registered User M80's Avatar
    I would for sure buy one i love everything about it

I want one.

Spyderco Forum Registered User polyhexamethyl's Avatar
    a'ight! i said earlier "budget" and "g10", now I'm so far to agree with titanium and a higher price! if the thickness is appropriate for a real slicer i'm lost in love with the design!
    aogami super blue dragonfly!

I know my opinion isn't as some other here, but a folder kitchen knife, with titanium scales? I don't understand how some people could really want such a knife, after the "oh it looks nice and I don't have it" effect we all know.

First of all, folding kitchen knife is a concept I don't really like. The ergo might make it a little better at prep'ing food then say a usual folder, but it still is far from a real kitchen knife. So far that I'd never use one at home. I mean, once you tasted Hattori knives, it's hard to go back to anything lesser.

Then there's the "I might have to prep some food away from home" thing. At relatives place? They got kitchen knives that will outperform that folder. At vacation rental place? Well if it's a house rented for the week or cabin, that's a case of I bring at least one true kitchen knife and still place that folder in the useless category.
    How about the "I didn't knew i had to prep something, what do I do?" situation? Well for me it's simple. Use my EDC if there's no option. Would a kitchen folder be better at that then my EDC ? NO WAY! Because if I EDC that kitchen folder, the blade is gonna get messed up so bad as the geometry aren't meant to do general cutting chore that it'll be useless on food. Better have a good EDC with nice geometry that will hold it's slicing power and be usefull everyday, and then use skill to prep food with, then have a bad knife everyday in case I need to prep food.

Let's try to see it another way and come back to the relative or vacation rental. Let's say I didn't bring my Hattori or my relative don't have nice kitchen knife and I decided for once to bring a folder kitchen knife. Ohh damn that's so far out of reality I know it would never happens... Well in that particular case where you almost never use one knife, being inferior to any kitchen knife anyway, and is just in your collection in case something impossible happens... Why in hell would I pay for titanium scale? I mean, make it g10 and maybe i'd feel less bad buying a useless knife, and if I were ever to use it, the few minutes in my life holding that g10 handle wouldn't kill me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against titanium, in fact I love it. I'm simply against the concept of folding kitchen knife, even more money sucking design in a useless knife. If we were talking of a great EDC, sure I'd be in for titanium scales and the premium asked for it. The knife would have a purpose in the beginning. But this one folder is the knife you'll forget somewhere in your house since he has no use, to a point you might tell youself damn I'm not gonna try to find it and simply bring my kitchen knife, way better and way easier! So why waste so much money on putting titanium scale on that thing where their is so many useful and great design knifes we could buy?

As I said, that's only my opinion.
    Owned : Broken tip ZDP-189 Endura, Mule Team 18, Mr Itou R2 180mm Gyoto
    In the wish list model list (even if I can't afford to spend more on knifes): *Yuna Qi 4.1 in K390*, ZDP-189 Ladybug, Chaparral or any K390 Spyderco decide to sprint in a folder design

I'd love to see a real kitchen folder from Spyderco.

The main point for having a kitchen folder is blade protection in a blade hostile environment (kitchen drawer) and the ease of transportation.

There are some out there but they are either way over my budget, crappy made or too much of a compromise.

I'd like to see a thin blade (not thicker than 2 mm) about 10-12 cm long.
    Maybe a series of folders with different blade styles...

It doesn't have to be titanium for the handle material. For my taste not enough traction with wet hands...

Lets go for the good old G10 or FRN or maype peel play carbon fiber for the coolness factor.

Just my 2 cents,

Nico.
    I've gone CF only: C94CFP UKPK (many thanks to Donut), C113CFPE Caly 3 ZDP189, C144CFPE Caly 3.5 ZDP189, C41CFP Native 4, C123CFP Sage 1, C134CFP Gayle Bradley, C152CFP Chaparral 1, C131CFP Bob Terzuola, C116CFP Superhawk, C101CF90VP2 Manix 2 S90V

exceptions: C113GPGY Caly 3 SB, C144GPGY Caly 3.5 SB, C10FPGY Endura SB, C11FPGY Delica SB, 2 x C36GPGY Military Cru-Wear, C154PPN Squeak Pink, MGREP Manbug ZDP189, C12PBN Matriarch brown, C94PBK UKPK

sold: some

looking for: anything CF

Spyderco Forum Registered User FCM415's Avatar
    As many have said over an over and over again on this thread and on the threads on Bladeforums and USN, people like the design and feel that it will excel in far more than just the kitchen. It will be "perfect" for edc and utility as well. I personally dont even look to it as a kitchen folder, my Endura and other knives are great in food prep among many other tasks and this can be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Laethageal View Post
    Then there's the "I might have to prep some food away from home" thing. At relatives place? They got kitchen knives that will outperform that folder.
    Every kitchen that I have ever seen (some of them serving hundreds of people) has horribly dull knives. Literally, I have yet to find a shaving sharp knife in any kitchen drawer (or block) (Actually, the only sharp kitchen knives I've ever seen are the ones I have sharpened, and then they're dull in a week).
    A decently sharp Spyderco Military will out cut 99% of anything that was supposed to be sharp in your average kitchen. This knife would be no different.