Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Blervís Semi-Comprehensive Flashlight Guide (VERY Long)

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Just recieved my PD35. Sweet light. Roughly the same size as the PD32 UE. A bit brighter. A bit longer run time. The LED is more to the cool side, where the PD32UE is quite a bit warmer, so the PD35 "feels" brighter.

Overall, I'd rate it a better all around light than the PD32UE (which I love)

Definitely a keeper.

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Hey Ken! You pulled the trigger on it, sweet .
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    Hey Ken! You pulled the trigger on it, sweet .
    I did. Solid light. New king of the heap, here

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User Per-Sev's Avatar
    I carry a Lenslight 2X123 with adjustable beam and 2 outputs from 5 lumens to 400 lumens and although the beam is square I find it to be a very useful light and have carried it for about 1 year now, I use it everyday for one thing or another.

Cool light Per-Sev! Way back when I tried out a Lenslight, the concept of an adjustable aspherical lens is very interesting. Seemed to work nicely.

Now there are a number of cheap clones like the Sipik SK68. Not exactly like the real deal.
    Blake

Spyderco Forum Registered User Per-Sev's Avatar
    Thanks, The light covers a lot of different situations and does everything I need a light to do. I doubt I will every need anything else.

Spyderco Forum Registered User ginsuwarrior's Avatar
    OK, I've read the information in the main article, very interesting, trying to get it all....Ken does the PD35 achieve and advantage over the PD32 because of the difference in battery type? (EDIT: ahgg...I just realized that CR123A and 18650 are interchangeable????)

Is there a 2xAA model out right now that can achieve what the 32 and 35 can or again is this simply a function or more potential from the batteries.

I really want to upgrade my flashlight situation for under $70. Right now all I have is TerraLux light start 220, it's fine I guess but I want to try out something that can do a bit more but in the same size package, or close.

Both CR123A and 18650 are rechargeable correct?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kbuzbee View Post
    I did. Solid light. New king of the heap, here

Ken
    Last edited by ginsuwarrior; 08-25-2013 at 09:18 AM.

Edit was right, 2x 123 = 18650 but the 123s are not rechargeable.

The main difference is from the LED itself.

There are very good multi AA lights but I vastly prefer single cell solutions. My LD 12 is a great AA by the way. Not as bright as the PD32-35s but it's plenty for most things.

Ken
    玉鋼

So it sounds like using 18650 and recharging is more economical? What do you use?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kbuzbee View Post
    Edit was right, 2x 123 = 18650 but the 123s are not rechargeable.

The main difference is from the LED itself.

There are very good multi AA lights but I vastly prefer single cell solutions. My LD 12 is a great AA by the way. Not as bright as the PD32-35s but it's plenty for most things.

Ken

Definitely.

I have a variety. Fenix, Tenergy, AW. Any major brand is probaly fine, but Blake would probably have some opinions for you.

Ken
    玉鋼

Quote Originally Posted by ginsuwarrior View Post
    OK, I've read the information in the main article, very interesting, trying to get it all....Ken does the PD35 achieve and advantage over the PD32 because of the difference in battery type? (EDIT: ahgg...I just realized that CR123A and 18650 are interchangeable????)

Is there a 2xAA model out right now that can achieve what the 32 and 35 can or again is this simply a function or more potential from the batteries.

I really want to upgrade my flashlight situation for under $70. Right now all I have is TerraLux light start 220, it's fine I guess but I want to try out something that can do a bit more but in the same size package, or close.

Both CR123A and 18650 are rechargeable correct?

Thanks!
    Hey Ginsu! Thanks for digging through all that .

The original P32 used a smaller (XP-G) led. The ultimate edition replaced this with a larger and more efficient XM-L T6. For Cree the output bin (T6) is alphabetic then numerical, in a perfect imaginary situation a Z9 would be the most efficient/watt possible. Besides likely heat sinking and electronic improvement the P35 uses a XM-L2 U2. The second generation LED is already 20 percent more efficient and the output bin is more efficient too. This makes for similar wattage a more efficient light.

Unfortunately with two AA's you can only achieve 2.4 volts with rechargeable batteries or 3.4v with Energizer Ulimate Lithium cells (disposable) before voltage sag. A CR123 is a disposable 3v(ish) cell. The 18650 or RCR123 (rechargeable but same size as CR123) has 4.2v available at full charge.

These days you are probably limited to around 400 lumens with rechargeable AA's. With 3 or 4 cells its easy to get massive output. The main disadvantage is extra bulk but without the complexity of going li-ion I think it's a great path.

Regarding rechargeable Li-ion power a single 18650, IMO, is the safest most popular path. No voltage matching needed with single cells, extremely high current capacity (4+ amps), great capacity, and ease of charging.
    Blake

Here's a little teaser of something in the works. Still waiting for the rest of the parts but the copper body ALONE weighs 6.2 ounces and houses 1x18650.

Blake

Spyderco Forum Registered User einstein2001's Avatar
    Here's a little teaser of something in the works. Still waiting for the rest of the parts but the copper body ALONE weighs 6.2 ounces and houses 1x18650.

That's nice. Who is the maker?
    I'm currently trying to decide on my next light but I'm getting lost in all the new terminology. I want a custom in copper and titanium. Mac's Tri-EDC and TnC are lookin real nice. I've still got a lot of research to do.
    Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
    Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
    Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
    ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly

-Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by einstein2001 View Post
    That's nice. Who is the maker?
    I'm currently trying to decide on my next light but I'm getting lost in all the new terminology. I want a custom in copper and titanium. Mac's Tri-EDC and TnC are lookin real nice. I've still got a lot of research to do.
    Thanks . It's a P60 body by Fivemega. Basically, the Surefire 6P started a trend of modular bodies and tail-caps that thread together and take drop-in engines. I figured I would invest in a really snazzy body and just upgrade the engines as technology changes.

Mac makes some great things. I have his Brass EDC SST50 and really like it, my brother has the Alum Tri-EDC and it's very impressive. I believe he is overloaded at the moment which could result in longer wait times; I would check with him to see though.
    Blake

Wow, I like...copper is timeless, and based of the size of that it looks like you can cram some powerful components in there.

I just bought the PD35 and it's a my first light that takes something other than A, AA, etc..So I was reading in the manual and it said be "cautious" with 3.7V 18650 (of which I have 2), and recommends the 3.2V. What do I need to be aware of when I use the 3.7V batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by ginsuwarrior View Post
    Wow, I like...copper is timeless, and based of the size of that it looks like you can cram some powerful components in there.

I just bought the PD35 and it's a my first light that takes something other than A, AA, etc..So I was reading in the manual and it said be "cautious" with 3.7V 18650 (of which I have 2), and recommends the 3.2V. What do I need to be aware of when I use the 3.7V batteries?
    Hi Ginsu,

Thanks for the feedback !

Congrats on the new Fenix, that one is a beast! The note about lithium power is a bit of a misnomer. Essentially they assume:

Customer A: Buys primaries (CR123's) and fills up his/her light throwing away the old cells. He/she doesn't voltage match the cells but the chance of thermal runaway is small enough to hope for the best.

Customer B: Buys a 18650 cell of unknown quality, buys a charger of unknown quality, and uses safe to dangerous charging practices (like leaving it on the charger and going to the movies).

The fact is that a single cell cuts many of your problems in half (as they don't attempt to self-balance). Most of the lithium explosions are when consumer error is performed. Your laptop batteries are a number of 18650's linked properly in a pack.

What I would do is make sure you are using quality cells, a decent charger, and buy a cheap DMM (digital multi-meter, about $5) just to double-check the voltage periodically when charging. If you go this route it's quite a bit safer than Customer A. If you end up using multiple lithiums that's where voltage matching is paramount. The chance of something crappy happening is very slim but nobody forgets it.

The last real problem with lithium batteries is with specific lights which will overtax the cell. With a 18650 that is difficult as most are rated at well over 4 amps. Most of those situations are from pushing RCR123's over about 2 amps at most, which is easy with spicy modern lights and LEDs.
    Last edited by Blerv; 08-28-2013 at 06:05 PM.
    Blake

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    That's a nice looking C body.

A few posts up, a comment was made that 2xCR123 is the same size as an 18650. Not exactly. A CR123 is actually a 16340 cell. Those numbers mean something, 16 is the diameter in millimeters, 34 is the length, and the zero means it's a cylindrical cell.

So, 2xCR123 batteries is 16mm diameter, and 68mm total length. As long as your light will hold an 18mm wide battery, they are pretty close. There are many lights that hold an 18mm wide battery and many that don't.

Surefire is a good example. Surefire is a company that sells lights that use CR123's, Surefire is also a company that sells CR123 batteries. Surefire does NOT sell 18650 batteries. Surefire takes careful consideration to make their lights fit CR123's and they make sure that 18650's will not fit in their lights.

Now, Surefire does make some nice CR123 batteries. I believe they suggest you only use their batteries in their lights.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User tonydahose's Avatar
    I was PMing Blake for ideas for a new light for my firecoat and I ended up with this light. Blake said he wanted to hear my thoughts on it, I figured this is a good thread to do it in.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Streamlight-...item589d1f502a
    The thing is tiny but it is bright as heck compared to my old pelican lil ed led light. I had a few fires since i have been wearing it and it cuts through the smoke very well. If you are in need of a right angle light that is waterproof, I highly recommend it. They also come in orange and black.
    WTC #1444 Always Remember
    Need info on a particular , just click here
    My knives
    Spydie count: a few

Hi Ginsu,

Thanks for the feedback !

Congrats on the new Fenix, that one is a beast! The note about lithium power is a bit of a misnomer....
    Thanks for the reply, I think I understand your sentiments, and I think I'll just get a meter to check my batteries so I know exactly whats going on.

The Fenix PD35 is very bright on Turbo mode, and the strobe, which does it's strobing at the noted 850 lumens is quite intense.

This model is a good entry level to world of nicer flashlights I believe. I've already tested it's 1m drop rating, and splashed a good amount of my drink on it, water resistance is good, still works fine.
    Last edited by ginsuwarrior; 08-28-2013 at 09:21 PM.

Thanks for the review Tony! Glad that thing is working well, you found a winner .

Great notes Donut! Yea cell dimensions aren't even all the same per destination. Usually it's "close enough" and works but always best to do some research. There are 70mm 18650's and RCR123's are a tad taller than most primaries.

Good call Ginsu. Taking a bit of precaution is never a bad thing. Using quality batteries removes most the danger. Normally I just charge batts while working on the laptop or watching TV. That and checking them early helps you gauge how much juice you have left. Eventually you will be a battery mind-reader knowing exactly when a charge is needed.
    Last edited by Blerv; 08-29-2013 at 12:03 AM.
    Blake