Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blervís Semi-Comprehensive Flashlight Guide (VERY Long)

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo63 View Post
    ike a Maxabeam
    one thing I don't need is a $2000 flashlight

IF I wanted something brighter than my PD32, maybe a Nitecore TM26? Even that is $400, but better. I know everyone's budget is different but...

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kbuzbee View Post

IF I wanted something brighter than my PD32, maybe a Nitecore TM26? Even that is $400, but better. I know everyone's budget is different but...

Ken
    Yea. I could fill up a trunk full of custom flashlights for that much money. That and buy a few throwers that will hit 800+ meters which is binocular range for me.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Just a Heads up, BladeHQ has Fenix PD32UEs on sale for $62. Pretty sweet!

Ken
    玉鋼

Nice deal Throw in a Super Blue Caly3 for free shipping.
    Blake

Spyderco Forum Registered User Echo63's Avatar

Ken
    I was Kind of Joking - Flashlights can be as addictive as Spydercos - its much cheaper if you just buy a few good ones, instead of lots of cheaper ones.

and i didnt spend anywhere near $2000 on my maxabeams - Im at maybe $1700 including shipping to Australia, for 2 of them, bought in two seperate transactions
    (both bought used)

the Maxabeam is an incredible light though
    how many lights can reach out like this ? (the building is a Kilometre away)
    power is nothing without control

Ok...that's worth the cash
    Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Echo63 View Post
    I was Kind of Joking - ...and i didnt spend anywhere near $2000 on my maxabeams - Im at maybe $1700 including shipping to Australia, for 2 of them, bought in two seperate transactions
    $850 is much better. Still beyond my reach (and needs... but if the need was there...) Nice score though.

You are right on about their addictive nature and I'm fully behind 'buy a few good instead of lots of junk'

When Blake got me thinking I "needed" a new light (thanks buddy!) I was first thinking a big floody thing but once I found that PD32UE I found my light. I only have occasional use, the compact size is nice and rarely do I need even the 740 lumen this thing provides.

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User Echo63's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    Ok...that's worth the cash
    Careful Blerv - that's how it starts
    I have a rule with cameras now, I don't try, or play with any demos at the shop - otherwise I find myself trying to justify purchasing one

$850 is much better. Still beyond my reach (and needs... but if the need was there...) Nice score though.

You are right on about their addictive nature and I'm fully behind 'buy a few good instead of lots of junk'

When Blake got me thinking I "needed" a new light (thanks buddy!) I was first thinking a big floody thing but once I found that PD32UE I found my light. I only have occasional use, the compact size is nice and rarely do I need even the 740 lumen this thing provides.

Ken
    To be perfectly honest it is beyond my needs too, and it did take a bit of convincing the wife (I also put them on the credit card, which I paid back very quickly) but I got a cracking deal on the first one, and an even better deal on the second (the second was an upgrade, and came with a long power lead, spare bulb and pelican case)

But they both make me giggle like a little kid when I point the beams at the sky
    And I do use them at work occassionally.

My flashlight collecting has gotten to the point I rarely want new lights - the Muyshondt Aeon has been riding around my neck for a little over 2 years, and is still the perfect light for that role.
    My Sunwayman V10R TI has been a great upgrade from the Novatac i EDCed for 4 years.

I only really need 4 lights, the Aeon, Sunwayman and a big floody light (9P with Moddoo triple) and a Thrower (M4 would do, but the Maxabeam is the best "thrower" available without diying something)
    But I enjoy lights, so I have a lot more than 4
    power is nothing without control

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    I'm a 4Sevens fan myself, although I have a couple of dozen torches around the house of various types. To be honest, I've been wanting to build a custom light around the Malkoff M91. This is like crack for a flashlight addict - you purchase the drop-in, then a head, body, clicky, batteries, lens... Pretty soon you are treating your flashlight collection like a bunch of legos, pulling them apart, rebuilding them in different configurations... Such a slippery slope...

On a serious note, though - does anyone have experience with the M91? It is supposedly an 800 lumen floodlight extraordinaire built around a Cree XM-L. Before I drop the bucks on a rig, I'd be curious to get your opinions.

TedP

I don't have any Malkoff products but totally admire what he does. Solid work, waterproof, nearly shockproof, heat-sunk like crazy, etc.

What are you planning on putting it in? I would think the forward voltage would be the main problem. You're going to need at least 6v for it to run in regulation the course of the time, three cells if using CR123's due to the sag and current needs. You could run it in a 18650 size light but not with a single cell (4.2v). Two smaller IMR cells would work great (18350x2 or 16340x2) but you would get meager runtime with 2.5A+. Like 20 minutes.

They aren't as fancy but a guy on CPF who goes by: vinhnguyen54. He makes VERY spicy XM-L's in P60 configuration. Anywhere from like 2.5-6a designed for a single cell. A real beast for an IMR18650. The advantage to that is you can easily get over 2000mah without a very long handle. That's almost an hour of burntime on high even with a pretty snarly driver.
    Blake

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderNut's Avatar
    Just received my Fenix E05 R2 this evening. Wow! Talk about an exquisitely bright little light. My main goal for this purchase was to find a lightweight, micro-sized flashlight with optimal power to EDC on my keychain. The E05 seems to fit the bill perfectly. (Note: This light will be replacing my sorely underpowered Photon ). First off, the E05 is incredibly lightweight and small (Weight: 0.7 oz w/out AAA battery. Dimensions: 2.54Ē (L) x 0.57Ē (D)). The max output is at 27 lumens and max runtime is approximately 2.8 hrs. Plenty of power for what I need in a micro-sized light. Although Iíd prefer the ďclickyĒ vs. the ďtwistyĒ type of on/off switch, I think I can live with it. Iíve heard and read good things about Fenix lights and I can see why. And for under $18 out the door, Iím pretty darn impressed with the quality and power of this little light.

Blerv, I have a bad feeling about this. I think I may have to blame you if I become addicted to flashlights too. I donít know if my beleaguered budget can handle both lights AND Spydies. But, on a serious note, thanks again for all the info.

Cheers!

Michael
    Michael

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Glad to be a bad role model Michael . Enjoy the new Mighty Mouse!
    Blake

Spyderco Forum Registered User ceya's Avatar
    TM26 prices has been dropped on some sites.

Nice write up Blerv.

Good to see some poeople from CPF here.

I have been an old Surefire head but like Nitecore stuff . EA1 Ec1 Ec2 TM11,TM15, with EA4, EC25 and TM26 soon to be inbound.

Thrunite TN31 from One Stop a excellent thrower on steriods.

Polarion PH50 and Abyss D ( save some more money).

Been getting more into HID lights.

S/F,
    CEYA!
    "Stay in the fight because we are Marines and the mission will be complete regardless of degree of difficulty."

by CEYA!

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    You guys are serious lightnuts. I like lights like most men's toys. Recently got like new SF LX2 for $50 (guy owed me a favor and wanted to sell it for a while). More power than I ever need. So far I have Novatac in my pocket, three SF: two in the cars and one in my desk; new LED Maglight in the night stand. I am all set. Malkoff keychain light may be......I am wondering why would I spend $$$ for lights, if I do not have all Spydes I want.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

Quote Originally Posted by ceya View Post
    TM26 prices has been dropped on some sites.
    Mind my asking? Still seems just under $400 most places I checked.

Ken
    玉鋼

Would anyone like to try an explanation of lumen versus candela? Please?

I used to think they were kinda the same sort of measure but looking at the TK75 vs the TM26 clearly that is wrong. The TM26 has a thousand more lumen and 1/2 the candela of the TK75.

Ken
    玉鋼

Lux or candela/candlepower = hotspot intensity, at the brightest place
    Lumens = overall light output

Lux or candela/candlepower is a direct factor for throw. The most extreme being aspheric lenses that trade spill for a single beam. It's possible to have a small LED with an intense surface brightness in this case produce insane numbers throwing hundreds of meters and only pushing 200 lumens. A small caliber hunting rifle if you will.

Lumens is a indication of overall light. If you compare this to a shotgun with a load of shot. Weighing all the pellets comes up with a substantial amount of mass, the dispersement is dictated by the round (LED) and barrel (reflector). A 3000 lumen light that puts out about 6k lux like my Big Bruiser spreads light like a sawed off; a TK75 with a similar round is akin to a bird gun.

The main problem with throwers is size. They are far more effective per lumen due to a lack of spread but less efficient with portability. I hope that helps! It's not scientific but a basic explanation.

Note: high lumen and low lux/candela lights have their place besides being size friendly. Having an even "wall of light" can be a great thing especially for entering dark rooms.
    Last edited by Blerv; 03-04-2013 at 08:20 AM.
    Blake

Thanks Blake. Exactly the kind of analogy I needed.

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User ceya's Avatar
    Mind my asking? Still seems just under $400 most places I checked.

Ken
    Some sites had it at 400 when it hit , sionce then dropped to 390. with codes you can get 10% off and free shipping.

So around 350 aint bad.

Ill ask around on a cheaper spot .

S/F,
    CEYA!
    "Stay in the fight because we are Marines and the mission will be complete regardless of degree of difficulty."

by CEYA!

These are my three (4 ) now:

LD12 for the pocket
    PD30 in the car
    PD32UES upstairs and downstairs

Now I'm lit

Ken
    玉鋼