Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Blervís Semi-Comprehensive Flashlight Guide (VERY Long)

Spyderco Forum Registered User Auxiliaryjohn's Avatar
    Thanks Blerv. As I get older I have an affection for more than guns and knives. I ordered a JETBeam 3M/III M XML CREE XM-L T6 450-Lumen LED Flashlight just last night to go along with some of my Fenix lights. I just like nice gear. Great writeup and I enjoyed reading it.

John

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Thanks for reading and kudos on the new acquisition .
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    Blake,
    Thank you for sharing. Great flashlight guide for knife people.
    I do not have much knowledge in this area. Just a user. I carry old Novatac 120T., which I bought due to small size and country of origin. With lowest setting of .3 lumens I can navigate inside the house and 120 is sufficient for outside. My wife and I have surefire 60P LED in cars. They are only 80 lumens, but pretty bright for outside for me, much brighter than Novatac @ 120. And just yesterday I got a new toy: Maglite XL200, first light to replace flashlights, which I gave away during last outage. Also US made, only $35 shipped, working on 3 AAA, giving max output of 172 lumen and have very cool way to increase or decrease brightness. It is not a bulletproof like surefire, still nice aluminum anodized body and fraction of cost. It has five settings, which I probably will never use, except the first, which is due to possible adjustments will work fine inside and outside. Probably I will buy one more.
    Please, continue updating and adding to your guide.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

Spyderco Forum Registered User defenestrate's Avatar
    Thanks, Blerv! Will have to consider this when I am ready to purchase a nice flashlight.
    I don't get mad. I get..Stabby.
    -Fat Tony

Spyderco Forum Registered User skatenut's Avatar
    Well done, Blerv! Thank you for a comprehensive write-up.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Hi Blake wow that was very comprehensive I like the custom light, very flashy (sorry) and what you say about the self defence aspects of carrying a powerful torch are so true. If someone tries to attack you at night shine into eyes if they run at you side step smash to the temple with bevel. If they have a knife I would recommend shine into eyes then the Bruce Lee lunging sidekick to the knee its your longest weapon you can also lean back keeping you torso out of reach from
    the knife if all goes well the attacker ends up on the floor now you can get away, if they have gun.... give em everything and grovel....

And as you state 1 lumen is enough light to see your way around a lot of the time with my Jetbeam thats 80 hours of light on 1 double A battery.

I carry Jetbeam raptor RRT 0 I liked the fact that it has options to use ether double A or lithium and a control ring for the brightness settings and on my key ring the Fenix E05 simple one light setting, diffuser one triple A battery. Had both for almost 2 years... faultless.

A JOB WELL DONE I RECKON....
    Last edited by daveconvex; 01-19-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Adding basic forumulas and information due to research. Will link to main post body:

1. Watt hours (Wh)= amps * voltage * hours

2. 1 Amp = 1,000 Mah.

3. Approximate runtime minutes:
    * LED forward voltage x current = watts (eg: XML2 3.4v x 800 mah (or .8a) = 2.72 led watts
    * 2.72 divided by driver efficiency (say .9) = 2.72/.9 = 3.02 driver required watts
    * Battery options
    A. RCR123 x 2 = 7.4v (3.7 minimum x 2). 7.4v x 550mah = 4070 (or 4wh)
    B. 18650 x 1 = 3.7v. 3.7v x 3000 mah = 11,100 (or 11.1wh)
    Calculations: 4wh divided by 3.02 driver required watts = 1.32 x 60 minutes = 79 minutes or... 11.1wh divided by 3.02 driver required wats = 3.67 x 60 minutes = 220 minutes

4. My light says it can handle .8v to 4.2v...: That means it can handle anything from a single Alkaline (1.2v) to a fully charged RCR123 (4.2v) at different brightness levels, if you could fit two RCR123's (8.4v full) it would likely destroy your LED.

5. My light says it can handle 3v to 13v...: That means assuming it's a less demanding setup (like 1.5v from an XP-G) you could run a single CR123 poorly, a single RCR123 decently, or even 3x 18650's without destroying your LED. This assumes a battery tube that will take any combination . If you tried to use one or two Alkaline batteries at about 2.4v total the driver would not light up the LED.

6. How is the life of a rechargeable battery taken?: Batteries with an operating voltage of 3.6-4.2 such as Li-Mn or Li-Co batteries are as follows.

4.2v = Full 100%
    4.1v = about 90%
    4.0v = about 80%
    3.9v = about 60%
    3.8v = about 40%
    3.7v = about 20%
    3.6v = empty
    < 3.5v = overdischarged
    < 3.0v Cell damage based on duration and how low

Battery Current Estimations (credit to LilKevin715 at Candlepowerforums.com):

The general rule of li-ion maximum continuous current drain (amps) is 2c of the battery. This means, twice the capacity in an hour. A RCR123 at 750mah would be able to supply 1.5 amps per hour (or 1500mah).

When running batteries in a series for many applications (direct drive, boost driver, linear regulated) their voltage is added but ability to discharge current remains the same.

In the example of a "Buck-Driver" or "Step-Down Driver" you can run a multitude of matched similar cells and the current is split accordingly. For example...

Based on the principle of Power/watts = Volts x Amps

* A XM-L2 at 3 amps has a forward voltage of about 3.3v to fire up. This means it requires about 9.9 watts of power (amps x voltage = power/watts).
    * A Buck Circuit is 80-90% efficient. Let's assume 80% for sake of example.
    * If the XM-L2 will need 9.9 watts of power then the Buck Circuit will actually pull more due to this inefficiency (9.9 / .8 = 12.375).
    * A CR123 at 1c is 1,500 mah per hour. Under load they drop from about 3.2v to about 2.5v.

Back to the principle: Power (12.375) spread by using 2x CR123's at a sagging 2.5v each (5v total) would be 2.475 amps per cell, way too high.

Dividing the 12.375 watts by 7.5v (or 3x CR123) we find the amperage required would be would be 1.63a which is much more safe assuming the cells are matched and quality units.

Additional Driver Info: Pros vs Cons

Direct Drive
    Pros: Simple, reliable, efficient
    Cons: Output dims over time, lacks flexibility

Linear Regulated
    Pros: Able to set "high" mode to current of choice via AMC7135 resistors, etc.
    Cons: Controls lows via PWM, Requires voltage similar to LED (eg: 2.9-4v great, 6v inefficient)

Step-up/Boost
    Pros: Very flexible with voltage up to 4.2v, regulates well on lower voltage setups, goes direct-drive usually past about 3.6v for high voltage single cells
    Cons: Very inflexible for multiple cell use unless low voltage (ie 3x1.2v alkalines, etc). Only regulates when under forward voltage of LED.

Step-down/Buck
    Pros: Able to run many cells. Spreads current load by adding cell voltage. Can run high-power LED's with simple low-volt batteries. More efficient than Boost drivers.
    Cons: Requires multi-cell matching, low-voltage will not work, with wide voltage range drivers sometimes won't light up full brightness till about 4.5v (eg 3v-18v driver) still somewhat inefficient.

Buck-Boost
    Pros: Should be the best regulated out of the bunch
    Cons: Not too common, especially for builders as far as I know.
    Last edited by Blerv; 10-04-2013 at 04:25 PM.
    Blake

Spyderco Forum Registered User d.2.the.p's Avatar
    Excellent information, sir. I've always greatly appreciated your input over on EDCF, so I'm glad to see that you've transferred your knowledge over here. Your input is one of the main reasons that I am now a certified Peak addict.

David

Thank you and you are very welcome David! Hope to see you more around here as well .

Ps: sorry about the addiction! Haha. My brother just got a Peak Eiger Ultra X in brass. Now I want one
    Blake

Spyderco Forum Registered User d.2.the.p's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    Thank you and you are very welcome David! Hope to see you more around here as well .

Ps: sorry about the addiction! Haha. My brother just got a Peak Eiger Ultra X in brass. Now I want one
    My next acquisition will definitely be something in brass. I have Eigers in both Al and SS and an El Cap in SS, so I need to mix it up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by d.2.the.p View Post
    My next acquisition will definitely be something in brass. I have Eigers in both Al and SS and an El Cap in SS, so I need to mix it up a bit.
    Very cool I'm eyeballing the Rainier XM-L at RMSK. Direct drive and 700 lumens off a single RCR123 with QTC .
    Blake

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Fenix PD 32 inbound. Should be here Mon. Really looking forward to this. Nice update from my PD 30, which I love.

Ken
    玉鋼

Nice Ken! Looking forward to your thoughts
    Blake

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Nice Ken! Looking forward to your thoughts
    My thoughts? I LOVE this thing! I can't imagine wanting or needing anything better. Great throw, great flood and plenty of modes from battery miser to ultra bright.

Terrific in every way.

Ken
    玉鋼

Quote Originally Posted by kbuzbee View Post
    My thoughts? I LOVE this thing! I can't imagine wanting or needing anything better. Great throw, great flood and plenty of modes from battery miser to ultra bright.

Terrific in every way.

Ken
    Cheers bud. Another obsession is just around the corner!
    Blake

I have to upload a picture but my brother just daisy-chained his little AAA Peak light to a Spyderco Spin making for a true "EDC".

The key is the tip down carry of some of these knives. Anytime the lanyard hole faces downward you can put a small swivel and split-ring through it and into your light. The SS knives like the Cricket, Spin, Balance, etc are ideal in length. I'm sure the Equilibrium will replace it once released .

Just a little tip to use those LBK's more. Knife + ring + light = awesome.
    Blake

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderNut's Avatar
    Incredible thread, Blerv. Thanks for putting this together! Your articles were very informative and helpful. I just ordered a Fenix E05 R2 for my EDC purposes. I'll let you know how it works out for me.

Thanks again!
    Michael

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Very cool . Please do!
    Blake

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    I have to upload a picture but my brother just daisy-chained his little AAA Peak light to a Spyderco Spin making for a true "EDC".

The key is the tip down carry of some of these knives. Anytime the lanyard hole faces downward you can put a small swivel and split-ring through it and into your light. The SS knives like the Cricket, Spin, Balance, etc are ideal in length. I'm sure the Equilibrium will replace it once released .

Just a little tip to use those LBK's more. Knife + ring + light = awesome.

I have more gear than keys on my keyring but what can I do, I'm a gearhead.
    I always heard that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but then you catch even more flies with poop

http://sharpthings.net/chat

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

Spyderco Forum Registered User Echo63's Avatar
    Great read - but for anyone reading it - i have a few bits of advice.

1. buy a decent light, use it, and dont think about it again.

2. dont go to candlepowerforums.com

3. if you do go to candlepowerforums, buy the stuff you are going to get anyway - a Malkoff, a good keyring light, and a big hid light (like a Maxabeam)
    then cut your credit card up
    power is nothing without control