Thread: rust resistance

Spyderco Forum Registered User

rust resistance

Is the rust resistance on the byrd knives equal to aus-8 steel spyderco used to use on their older knives?

Spyderco Forum Registered User spyderedge's Avatar
    As I'm aware all the Byrd knives are 8cr13mov steel. I have never had rust problems with 8cr13mov.
    I can not speak for AUS-8 though,
    My Endura 4 FFG Plain, Black in VG-10 had been my faithful EDC companion since 9/26/2012

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Both have similar compositions and similar percentages of chromium and molybdenum. For that reason, I'm inclined to think they'd offer similar rust resistance, assuming similar finish.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User goodbloke's Avatar
    I agree,they perform very similar.my old delica would have spots on it if I camped in the winter but my meadow lark has more of a blob stain pattern if it gets wet for long periods.both clean up nice though.
    when your back is against the wall sometimes you have to turn around and fight.

Is the steel in the byrd series the same as spyderco tenaciuos series? I live in Hawaii, so rust resistence is a concern. Vg-10 has performed but the Byrd series and tenacious series interest me in both looks and price.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    It's the same steel. Vg10 is a tad more resistant. It would only concern me if neglectful but in that case a Salt knife is vastly superior.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

I have a lot of 8Cr knives, one is Resilience, live in Indonesia. No issue with rust on blade so far. Since I also use them for food, the blade gets cleaned thoroughly (no oil) an it's working fine.

If you're concerned, a wipe with wd40 and spray into hidden parts will prevent most rust

I have more concern with rust forming between liner and outer slab (FRN, G10). Usually I take it apart, apply wd40 and reassemble.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pete1977's Avatar
    My original Byrd knife was a coated Raven. It would show rust around salt water even with the black blade...I've used 2 different Byrd Rescue knives both on freshwater rivers in the midwest and as a commercial fisherman on the North Atlantic. I would say that they have slightly less rust resistance than AUS-8A comparing them to an old FRN clip Delica. The one I currently use (about 2 years lobstering with it) has no real pitting on the blade...I even take it diving to clear rope out of boat propellers. I have no idea how bad the innards are because I've never taken it apart...The first one has experienced near total immersion in seawater since the day I lost it overboard how bad it's rusted is anybody's guess...

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pete1977's Avatar
    I forgot to mention, i used an all stainless pelican for a few months after I lost my Cara Cara Rescue...it rusted quite a bit, once to the point where I had to use two hands to open it. This was in near constant exposure to salt water and minimal cleaning/maintenance.