Thread: Have to say a word about my new PPT

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Have to say a word about my new PPT

Just received my PPT. I'd always been intrigued by this model, but was put off by the weight and thought the contoured scales, although very cool, would be to cumbersome for carry. Then, when Spyderco announced it was discontinued, I had to get one.

First off, I know the term "scary sharp" gets thrown around a lot on the forum, but this thing really is. Did the obligatory paper cutting test, and it didn't cut so much as whisper cleanly through the paper. Shhhh, shhhh, shhhh.

Also slipped it in the pocket when I went out for a couple minutes last night to see how it carried. Couldn't believe a 5 oz. plus knife could feel so light in the pocket. Seriously, it was like it wasn't even there. I guess that's because of the deep-carry clip.

I will say, however, I find the contoured scales, although not too thick for comfortable pocket carry, a little sharp in the hand. I guess I'll man up enough eventually not to notice.

Can't believe they're discontinuing this product.

Tod
    Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
    Andy: Hey to Goober.

Hey Tod, I totally agree with you on that. Saw it on the list and figured it was time to end the deliberation of buy vs wait. This is a fine knife. Incidentally, this is my first post on the forum...I have enjoyed everyone's thoughts here!
    Jim

Spyderco Forum Registered User NoFair's Avatar
    I lightly wet sanded the handles on mine. Makes it easier to get out of the pocket and imho more comfortable to use (removed the clip first)

Thanks for the feedback, guys. And Jimbro, you're the first person I get to officially welcome to the forum. Time to put up the Christmas tree.

Tod

Spyderco Forum Registered User racer88's Avatar
    I'm glad I got one (a while back). I like the deep-carry clip. I think the corrugated scales are cool.

I keep imagining a slightly larger version of the PPT. It's already an excellent pocket knife.

Welcome to the forum Jimbro.
    Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.

Quote Originally Posted by tr4022 View Post
    [...]
    Then, when Spyderco announced it was discontinued, I had to get one.
    [...]
    Can't believe they're discontinuing this product.
    Yes it is a great knife.
    If more people had bought it before the announcement of its discontinuation, perhaps it would be still in the 2013 catalog.
    Last edited by Tally-ho; 12-08-2012 at 03:32 PM.
    | C10PGRE Endura 4 | C28GPFG Dragonfly | C36TIP Military | C41GP5 Native 5 | C54GPBN Calypso | C65CFP Lum Chinese | C90GFPD Strectch | C94TIP UK Penknife | C113GPGY Caly 3 | C122GPBL Tenacious | C123TIP Sage 2 | C126GPFG Rock Lobster | C135GP Perrin PPT | C136GPBL Persistence | C144CFPE Caly 3.5 | C163PBK Pingo | C164GPBN Nilakka || MT16P MT17P MT18P Mule Team |

Quote Originally Posted by Tally-ho View Post
    Yes it is a great knife.
    If more people had bought it before the announcement of its discontinuation, perhaps it would be still in the 2013 catalog.
    Yeah, i guess. i always assumed they were good sellers because people were always so enthusiastic about them.

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    I got my PPT early, and I really like it. There's a lot of competition for pocket time these days, but my PPT still gets used now and then. I'm hoping they come out with another similar knife soon.
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

I would think Spyderco and Fred Perrin will collaborate again. His street bowie is in the 2013 catalog, although it's not for me, I don't think. At least until everyone starts posting about how awesome it is.

Tod

Spyderco Forum Registered User flash900's Avatar
    The PPT's wonderful sculptured scales are big part of the folder's appeal.

I've seen some mods to replace the scales. To which I say -- no way, I'd pay extra to keep 'em just as they are!

Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino

Spyderco Forum Registered User donutsrule's Avatar
    I just bought a second PPT (I've been EDCing the first one since they were released). This new one is going to get some purpleheart scales, as I have some ph scrap from a full-size wooden sailing ship that's under construction. Hopefully the project goes well: I've never done folder scales before.

I really like the PPT as an all-around knife that's unobtrusive in-pocket, easy to use and easy to keep sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by flash900 View Post
    I've seen some mods to replace the scales. To which I say -- no way
    Really ?...What do you think of those ?

Carbon Fiber:

Dark/Clear blue G-10 and Full titanium:

(http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showt...249#post818249)

| C10PGRE Endura 4 | C28GPFG Dragonfly | C36TIP Military | C41GP5 Native 5 | C54GPBN Calypso | C65CFP Lum Chinese | C90GFPD Strectch | C94TIP UK Penknife | C113GPGY Caly 3 | C122GPBL Tenacious | C123TIP Sage 2 | C126GPFG Rock Lobster | C135GP Perrin PPT | C136GPBL Persistence | C144CFPE Caly 3.5 | C163PBK Pingo | C164GPBN Nilakka || MT16P MT17P MT18P Mule Team |

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    It's an amazing model. It's sad to see it go, but I'm glad it was here.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User flash900's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally-ho View Post
    Really ?...What do you think of those ?

Carbon Fiber:

Dark/Clear blue G-10 and Full titanium:

(http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showt...249#post818249)

I say Way!

(Doesn't change how much I love the stock, sculptured scales.)

Wish the price would come down before it disappears.........

Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino

Spyderco Forum Registered User Left Hand Path's Avatar
    I am shocked that it is being discontinued too. I have owned a lot of Spydercos, and the PPT is at the top of my list of favorites. Hopefully it comes back in another variation one day.
    -Nick

Join Today!
    http://www.KnifeRights.org

I would have purchased the PPT much sooner if i had known how comfortable a knife it was. It just sat on my "want" list for a long time and i only purchased it due to the discontinuation. Better late than never i suppose

JD