Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Spyderco Challenge Coin?

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by KaliGman View Post
    The coins have become nice gifts to friends nowadays (I know Ed Schempp has a few from various units I have been a part of, as does Kristi and her children). Before the massive proliferation of coins, they were often used to shut up poseurs claiming to be with elite military or law enforcement units. For some reason, this often happened in a drinking establishment . Once someone had regaled the crowd with a BS tale, if you happened to have really been in the unit he was claiming, you would toss out your coin and say, "We all have these. Where's yours?" which often created some interesting situations.

I haven't seen many people use them except as keepsakes and gifts in quite awhile. In my old SWAT unit, we used to have to carry them for purposes of economic welfare and self-preservation. After an operation or training session, if we did a coin check and you did not have yours, you bought the beer, breakfast, or whatever.
    ...they sound to like something you earn rather than something you buy. Maybe Spyderco should keep them and hand them out to those who merit recognition. Heck if you are into Spyderco, just show your knife.

I don't want to be a "joy kill", however. Let consensus rule.
    "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
    "Measure for Measure"
    -W. Shakespeare

Spyderco Forum Registered User Fresh Eddie Fresh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    ...they sound to like something you earn rather than something you buy. Maybe Spyderco should keep them and hand them out to those who merit recognition. Heck if you are into Spyderco, just show your knife.

I don't want to be a "joy kill", however. Let consensus rule.
    So you can't buy a coin, but if you buy a knife you get one for free?

In the military you do get coins from people for deeds that merit recognition, but do not merit enough recognition for an official reward. I have never been in the military, but I used to work in conjunction with military people, so I have a few people have given me.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Gunslinger's Avatar
    Challenge coins remind me of Pogs and slammers when I was in grade school.

Spyderco Forum Registered User toomzz's Avatar
    hardcore-LOL

[QUOTE=The Deacon;812701To me, the name evokes images of situations where excessive amounts of testosterone collide with excessive amounts of alcohol.[/QUOTE]
    Even in times of peace a gentleman still keeps a sword by his side

I have challenged a few people with coins at get togethers and at the BLADE show and it is fun. Usually the person who does not have his coin has to buy the other a drink. I am not in the military so I don't know exactly how they are used but I believe it is a merit thing.

IMO in the knife world it is a bit more of a friendship or supporter thing. I would buy a couple of these as keepsakes and I think it is a great idea for those of us who love all things Spyderco. I have two other coins from knife companies. One I had to buy after I reached a certain number of posts on their forum. Another was given to me at the BLADE show.
    "Be prepared.....It is more than a motto it is a way of life."

Wanting to buy: Spyderco Endura marked GIN-1, Endura 4 White

On the lookout for a Spyderco 201 Sharpmaker to buy or just to have pic of. (Not 202, 203, or 204 but a 201.)

In for sure

Spyderco Forum Registered User Stormy's Avatar
    I would love a Spyderco silver oz coin.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Tdog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I would love a Spyderco silver oz coin.
    +1 x 8 for gifts

Spyderco Forum Registered User Minibear453's Avatar
    BUMP. Still hoping for a challenge coin. I think EDCF used makecoins.com, and it was around $10 for each coin. (Assuming over 100 coins are purchased.) Not too sure though, but they sell it for $20 with profit. Even at $20 I'd buy a Spyderco challenge coin. Anyone else?
    Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull

Spyderco Forum Registered User OldSarSwmr's Avatar
    Yep! Still want one.

Dan

Spyderco Forum Registered User VWTattoo's Avatar
    Bumping this thread, because I sure as heck would want one... Or five.
    2004 VW R32
    Got GIN-1?

Spyderco makes a traditional challenge coin that is being used in the traditional way. Given to special military personnel that Kristi, Mike and some of the managers can do. They are not for sale and will not be commercialized.

We can discuss another type of coin that is Spyderco, but a different "animal" than the Military challenge coin. I'm open to share thoughts and suggestions.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User Greg Walker's Avatar
    I got my first unit coin in 1976 after arriving at 2/75 RGR Battalion at Fort Lewis, Washington.

You learned very quickly to have your coin with you at all times. All times. If another ranger threw down his coin (literally) you had better be able to produce yours. If not, the penalty could be push-ups or buying a round at the bar or anything inbetween.

When I went to Special Forces and was at Language School I used to run with a senior sergeant I knew from our days together at Camp Rudder (Florida Ranger Camp). Mike was the "King of Coining" and had told me to never be without my coin. We did a good 4-5 miles one afternoon at DLI, out the back gate and down the hill then back up. I'd tucked my coin into my sock figuring Mike would throw his down somewhere along the route. We sprinted the last several hundred yards back onto DLI and were both doubled over near puking when I threw my coin down. Mike just stared at it then called me an evil SOB. He bought the beer that night.

Back then coins did not go operational. Dead give-away if lost during training or live deployments. That was understood. But once back in garrison anything went.

Challenge coins are now commonplace and there are some very, very nice ones out there.

This last week I was honored to present Sal with our Green Beret Foundation coin. This for all he has personally done and provided through Spyderco for our military and its veterans over the years. Thank you again, Sal.

And I am honored to now have and carry along with my own GBF coin one of Spyderco's.

Another great challenge coin story - the late Al Mar recommended Gary Fadden, then at Beretta Knives, for an Associate's Membership in the Special Forces Association. Gary's application was approved and he immediately got his SFA coin. Al was hell on wheels when it came to great pranks, challenges and otherwise screwing with his friends. Gary, knowing he had to always have his coin with him - especially around Al - had it mounted so he could wear it as a necklace. Whenever he was out and about where having your coin (like at an SOF convention) Gary always had his coin right there with him. He was impossible to challenge successfully and he took great pleasure in winning (or surviving) a challenge.
    Greg Walker (Retired)
    United States Army Special Forces

"No Fallen Comrade Left Behind"

Spyderco Forum Registered User Water Bug's Avatar
    Well, I certainly have not been worthy to see the Spyderco Military Challenge Coin, so I'm not sure what designs are found on the two sides of that coin... SO, as far as suggestions for that "different animal"...

- Perhaps that "different animal" could have the symbol dominating the "heads" side of the coin. That, to me, says "Spyderco" as loudly as the "Emerson Skull" says "Emerson" on the Emerson Knives Challenge Coin.

- As far as the "tails" side of the Commercialized Spyderco Challenge Coin is concerned... well, I'm not sure... perhaps the inscription, "Golden Colorado U.S.A. Earth"... which, to me, says the coin needs to be at least made in the United States of America.

I've been in the military for quite a few years and have certainly become QUITE FAMILIAR with the significance of the Unit Coin, Military Challenge Coin, or RMO (Round Metal Object). The Unit Coin has played a significant role in the U.S. Military as far back as World War I, and continues to hold significant meaning today.

I say, DAMN IT, let's get on with it! Sal, I feel the interest in a Spyderco Challenge Coin for your End Line Users IS THERE! I, for one, certainly would not mind having a Commercialized Spyderco Challenge Coin as an additional EDC.
    Spyderco WTC #1044