Thread: I have a Meadowlark....

Spyderco Forum Registered User

I have a Meadowlark....

I have a Meadowlark in SS I was thinking of getting a Cara Cara2 in Stainless Steel.

I know its a heavy knife... but is is TOO heavy?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff_C View Post
    I have a Meadowlark in SS I was thinking of getting a Cara Cara2 in Stainless Steel.

I know its a heavy knife... but is is TOO heavy?
    It's not quite the same thing but I often look at the specs and try to find something in a similar shape that matches the weight. Using a postage scale and a roll of pennies, nickles, etc. Even holding two knives that add to the same weight per the site.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

LOL I thought about the two knife thing. I figure the Meadowlark in SS and my delica 4 ought to be about the same as the Cara Car in steel LOL.

Spyderco Forum Registered User timberweasel's Avatar
    I got to handle a stainless steel Cara Cara 2 just this afternoon. I don't think it's too heavy for EDC and was pretty impressed by the great fit & finish. If you like an all-stainless construction, Jeff, I say go for it!

Hmmm... I think I'm going to take my own advice and pick one up tomorrow!

The catalog says 5.625 oz. Personally I can clip that much weight to the pocket of my tight jeans and never feel it, but drop it IN my pocket and it will feel like a brick. YMMV of course. Some people complain about the additional weight of the Ti Military for instance. The Spyderco Gayle Bradley weighs about the same amount and I haven't read any complaints about its weight.

The SS models and the FRN models serve two different purposes. Some want a knife they can use for impact (breaking windows, etc) and the butt of a SS model will take a lot. The FRN is more or an ergonomic package for the blade.

sal

Plus the SS can be engraved! I was thinking of putting a cool cross on my Cara Cara... maybe with some scripture... SWEET!

Thanks gang! I think Im going to get one!

Spyderco Forum Registered User defenestrate's Avatar
    I have gone hiking with an SS Cara Cara and found it to perform well, but I am a bit less sensitive to the weight of a knife than some folks. I think it is a great tank of a knife at that price.
    I don't get mad. I get..Stabby.
    -Fat Tony

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pockets's Avatar
    I don't have a steel-handled Spyderco, but my steel-handled Gerber did inspire some confidence with its weight.

I found it too heavy to carry comfortably...and the SS handle was too slippery if I had just the slightest bit of moisture on my hands. I got rid of mine and am much happier with the G10 variant. But as Sal said...if you need an impact tool the SS butt is very effective. Different strokes...
    "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
    "Measure for Measure"
    -W. Shakespeare