Thread: Mil-C-5040H Military Parachute Cord

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Mil-C-5040H Military Parachute Cord

Paracord is some extremely useful cordage for a vast array tasks/usages, but it seems that the military grade Mil-C-5040H Type III is pretty hard to come by; and when it is found it usually costs 2-3 times more than any standard commercial grade #550 cord.

I have some Mil-C-5040H Type III cord manufactured by E. L. Wood Braiding, and it is far superior to any #550 cord that I commonly come across. It maintains its structure in knots and doesn't flatten like commercial cord, it doesn't have as bad of line memory/twisting/kinking and bunching of inner strands like commercial cord, and the Mil-C-5040H Type III cord has a total of 21 individual strands once separated unlike the commercial cord's 14 strands.

I recently went to a local gun show and was hoping to score some military surplus cordage for a decent price, but there was none to be found... only cheap commercial cord, and at anywhere from $8-12 per 100' hank ... what a ripoff.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Back when I was reading about Paracord... I found that this site sells milspec paracord.

http://www.bestglide.com/550_cord_info.html

I bought that stuff, and some 550 from other sites and don't see too much differences for my use.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Back when I was reading about Paracord... I found that this site sells milspec paracord.

http://www.bestglide.com/550_cord_info.html

I bought that stuff, and some 550 from other sites and don't see too much differences for my use.
    That's where I purchased my E. L. Wood Mil-C-5040H Type III from, still a little pricy with shipping and all.

I wonder what it would cost to order a spool straight from the manufacturer.
    Another producer of Mil-C-5040H Type III cord is Gladding Braiding Products.

I'm sure that Type IV 750 cord could be purchased as well, it contains 11 twisted inner strands of three individual cords.